Speculation: Joonas Korpisalo trade to Leafs

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
The Fourth Period is reporting that the Toronto Maple Leafs may be interested in Columbus goaltender Joonas Korpisalo.

The Maple Leafs seem to be in on every netminder as they contemplate dealing Frederik Andersen who is in his last season of a five-year contract and has yet to win a playoff series for the blue and white. If there is a deal to be made, Toronto would likely need to take back Brandon Dubinsky whose career seems to be over, but still carries a $5.85 million salary cap hit, something the Blue Jackets want to get rid of as they don't want to pay out the actual cash to the center. The player coming back, should there be a trade, will be less, if Dubinsky is part of the deal.

what would leafs give for korpi? Heard my jackets are looking for #2 center!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Fourth Period is reporting that the Toronto Maple Leafs may be interested in Columbus goaltender Joonas Korpisalo.

The Maple Leafs seem to be in on every netminder as they contemplate dealing Frederik Andersen who is in his last season of a five-year contract and has yet to win a playoff series for the blue and white. If there is a deal to be made, Toronto would likely need to take back Brandon Dubinsky whose career seems to be over, but still carries a $5.85 million salary cap hit, something the Blue Jackets want to get rid of as they don't want to pay out the actual cash to the center. The player coming back, should there be a trade, will be less, if Dubinsky is part of the deal.

Have to be Kerfoot.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He’s been a pretty bad goalie his entire career. I doubt 9 games in the playoffs change that. In fact, 4 of those 9 playoff games actually weren’t very good. That 6 period game (which was a phenomenal showing by Korpisalo) really skews everything from opinion to stats on this guy despite the fact that he’s been very underwhelming.

.911 sv% this past season. .897% the year before. .897% again in the year before that. .905 the year before that.

I would assume if the Leafs are adding a goalie it’s because they want to upgrade Andersen. That doesn’t happen here.

If I’m Columbus I hang onto him. Elvis is young and Korpisalo won’t have much trade value. Hope for a solid duo and flip him in a year with some hopefully increased value.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don't know what it would look like, but should be a Leaf target if we're moving Andersen. Not as an upgrade, but as a more cap efficient tandem option.

If you need a C Kerfoot is all that we have, but looking that state of the Jacket pick slate what about 15+ 44 for 21 and Korpi?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'd hold on to Andersen, it's not his fault Leafs have not in the playoffs. Surround him with a better team, maybe. If Dubas and co. think someone else is going to be the saviour, they are delusional at best. If they give up assets to get a Korpisalo, that just means they will have less assets available to trade for players that can help round out the team better.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Yeah well they can keep looking because Korpi doesn't land Tavares or Matthews

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Jesus. Just get some defense for the goalie. Same problem with all the other goalies they’ve had the last 15 years. Culpability continues to be put on the goalies when the management still has yet to put a reliable defense in front of them the better part of the last two decades.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

They won't get much for Korpi if Dubinsky also needs to be included.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Korpisalo looked really good in the playoffs at times. But I don't really get it, because Andersen has certainly looked really good a lot of times too. A lot more times than Korpisalo ever has. And there's nothing whatsoever wrong with a $5M cap hit on a goalie as good as Andersen is.

I guess they are thinking longer term, past the coming season?

Korpisalo flashed just enough spectacular showings that you can at least consider he MIGHT - maybe - become as good as Andersen. Or maybe at a stretch even better? Well, longshot, but who knows. I guess if the cap savings works out, why not... trade somebody like Johnsson ($3.4M) (or even Nylander???) for Korpisalo ($2.8M) and then trade Andersen somewhere for futures, and you've saved a minimum of over $5M on the cap, which is not at all insignificant in this environment.

It could make sense, depending on how it all plays out.

If I was Korpisalo, I'd definitely rather play for Tortorella's team than the Leafs, though. That's going to be pretty hard on him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'd prefer Andersen.

Andersen has been much more of a workhorse and has a proven track record. Korprisalo is only 26 and possibly just starting to blossom. He just played out of his mind in the playoffs.

that being said, if you switch Andersen and Korpisalo then Andersen probably has much better numbers behind the CBJ defense.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't know what it would look like, but should be a Leaf target if we're moving Andersen. Not as an upgrade, but as a more cap efficient tandem option.

this is the only reason I can see that Leafs would prefer Korpi to Freddy.

And I don’t see any great financial benefit to CBJ to include Dubinsky, and it would eliminate some financial benefit to Leafs.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I think it is a good fit conceptually.

Insured players aren't entirely covered by insurance. Trading Dubinsky probably saves them a good chunk of change and Korpisalo is a bit of an expensive luxury as well. Dubois isn't going to be cheap and losing both guys saves 8.5M on cap which gives them more than enough space without resorting to using Dubinsky's LTIR exception.

For the Leafs, they're going to be against the cap anyway, so going over it with LTIR money isn't a big deal. Dubinsky si pretty meaningless. Also, Korpisalo is a good "push" to a guy like Andersen in case of struggles. Plus he's signed for one more season, so if he does take over the job, it won't immediately jack-up the Leafs salary. After taking on Dubinsky, the cost should be much reduced as well, allowing the Leafs to pick up someone withotu paying UFA prices or giving up real assets.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Don't see the Leafs being interested in Korpisalo. Andersen is better.

Contracts matter. Korpisalo is 2.8m x 2, UFA. If Columbus retains on Korpisalo he could be incredibly valuable to Toronto. They'd be paying their goaltending peanuts and could cap out on their defensemen. It would be a major competitive advantage.

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
So, a .936, 1.84 GA average in this years playoffs isn't good enough for the Leafs?

Andersen is not the problem.
Most of us know that he's not the problem. The issue is that he's clearly not the answer either, and we might be able to use the cap space somewhere else (find the elusive answer), or get an asset instead of having him walk as a UFA next summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad