Speculation: Joonas Korpisalo trade to Leafs

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I’m predicting Toronto will ship Anderson to Arizona for kuemper. Toronto will add a 2020 4th and a 2022 2nd pick . Arizona will like it because there not gonna be spending to the cap anyway and will enjoy Anderson’ s contract . The leafs get a quality goaltender that can handle lots of shots . Leafs gain marginally against the cap as well . I’m not a fan of either team .

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If this is Korpisalo and Dubinsky as a package that tandem has 0 value, possible negative. Korpisalo has upside, but recency bias aside where he had an amazing 10 games, he has been a below average tender for his career (2.73gaa/.911sv% on a great defensive team)

Dubinsky at almost 6 mil even if partially insured is flat out ugly. not many owners are gonna eat his 5.85 mil salary with the covid situation.

honestly if this was the only way for the leafs to get AP (trade anderson for pick/s, then kerfoot+ for korpisalo+dubinsky) then id be ok with it. if they are going after 2 dmen (tanev,brodie,hamonic,vatanen etc) id probably be ok with it as well

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I’m predicting Toronto will ship Anderson to Arizona for kuemper. Toronto will add a 2020 4th and a 2022 2nd pick . Arizona will like it because there not gonna be spending to the cap anyway and will enjoy Anderson’ s contract . The leafs get a quality goaltender that can handle lots of shots . Leafs gain marginally against the cap as well . I’m not a fan of either team .

thats actually quite an overpay for somone that had a great year and a half but wasnt very good prior to that

Andersen makes 1 mil this year. giving up a 2.61/.917 goalie plus a 2nd AND a 4th for a 2.50/.918 goalie to only save 500k doesnt make much sense

edit: and kuempers #'s wouldnt look that sexy after a year in TO. if freddie played in zona he would be a 920+ guy

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Contracts matter. Korpisalo is 2.8m x 2, UFA. If Columbus retains on Korpisalo he could be incredibly valuable to Toronto. They'd be paying their goaltending peanuts and could cap out on their defensemen. It would be a major competitive advantage.

yeah the problem is then relying on a goalie who has never won 20 games in a season, and a guy who while having a decent season (especially compared to the garbage seasons he had for the past few) is clearly not as good as merzilikins

look at bobs and merzilikins #s in columbus. fantastic. korpisalo. average

if he comes cheap fine but the leafs arent gonna be hot and heavy on this guy unless its for cap reasons to get AP

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
thats actually quite an overpay for somone that had a great year and a half but wasnt very good prior to that

Andersen makes 1 mil this year. giving up a 2.61/.917 goalie plus a 2nd AND a 4th for a 2.50/.918 goalie to only save 500k doesnt make much sense

edit: and kuempers #'s wouldnt look that sexy after a year in TO. if freddie played in zona he would be a 920+ guy

Kuemper at 4.5m for 2 years versus Andersen at 1 year for 5m and then after that at most likely more than 5m is where you get the value.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I would also think that after one year of kuemper if you found a more permanent option in net ,( say free agency next year ) you shouldn’t have any problem getting a second back for kuemper. So really you would be using a fourth for a season of kuemper while gaining 500,000 of cap space .

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If this is Korpisalo and Dubinsky as a package that tandem has 0 value, possible negative. Korpisalo has upside, but recency bias aside where he had an amazing 10 games, he has been a below average tender for his career (2.73gaa/.911sv% on a great defensive team)

Dubinsky at almost 6 mil even if partially insured is flat out ugly. not many owners are gonna eat his 5.85 mil salary with the covid situation.

honestly if this was the only way for the leafs to get AP (trade anderson for pick/s, then kerfoot+ for korpisalo+dubinsky) then id be ok with it. if they are going after 2 dmen (tanev,brodie,hamonic,vatanen etc) id probably be ok with it as well
Except for the fact that the moment you acquire Dubinsky, AP can't sign with the Leafs because you just gave his cap space away to Dubinsky.

Who do people not understand this consept?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Dubas talks a lot about recency bias, so I just don't see where the alleged interest from the Leafs is coming from. Especially if it means taking Dubinsky, and especially considering all the other options on the flooded goalie market.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I never said they would do it. I just said it makes no sense to trade Nylander for anything less than Werenski/Jones. If you were the Leafs, would you trade a first line RW for a goalie who played behind one of the best D in the league? Right after witnessing what happened to Bobrovsky?
Yeah, but there's a difference between "this is a suspiciously poor deal for my team" and "my first-liner is worth one of your bonafide superstars".

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I guess if you can't beat 'em, trade for 'em.

Not a bad idea by Dubas......although he seems really convinced that Andersen is still their answer in goal.

Giovanni Martino

Aug 12, 2020
The Fourth Period is reporting that the Toronto Maple Leafs may be interested in Columbus goaltender Joonas Korpisalo.

The Maple Leafs seem to be in on every netminder as they contemplate dealing Frederik Andersen who is in his last season of a five-year contract and has yet to win a playoff series for the blue and white. If there is a deal to be made, Toronto would likely need to take back Brandon Dubinsky whose career seems to be over, but still carries a $5.85 million salary cap hit, something the Blue Jackets want to get rid of as they don't want to pay out the actual cash to the center. The player coming back, should there be a trade, will be less, if Dubinsky is part of the deal.

what would leafs give for korpi? Heard my jackets are looking for #2 center!
Joonas Korpisalo and Dubs and a 2020 3rd for Kerfoot and a 7th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad