Jonesey's Open Letter To Katz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2008
That's funny... someone did. Woodguy.

Memory retention problem?

He never said "new building or we move". He did allude to it in the Global tv interview and if you have recently "seen it" as you claimed earlier, please share a link, as it is in there for sure. Here is a post that talks about it as well, funny that the article has been removed from the archives though. He was also shilling for public funding and whining about how the Oilers are losing money.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=21074088&postcount=563

You now have three people (not connected) in this thread telling you that he did indeed mention in passing that the new building would be needed to ensure the Oilers future in Edmonton. But you stamp your feet and say no, no, no. Whatever.

Giant Moo

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I still haven't seen the quote where he says,"New building or the team moves."

He never said anything of the sort.

By the way, I'm in no way a fan of Laforge. I just know he didn't say that directly.

laforge.png

Sammy*

Geez, Bob Mckenzie must be shakin.
Today on CFRN with Chase & Nielsen, Mckenzie said it is extremly inportant for the whole Oiler org to speak to their fans, as they havnt to date, detailing ther plans ...etc (though he didnt expressly say Katz).
I wonder if Katz's mouthpiece, hired shill & Oiler apologist Bob Stauffer will take a run at Mckenzie as he did at Jones in an extremy unprofessional fashion (as well as not even dealing with the merits of Jones column).
For some reason, I kinda doubt it.

GSC

Dec 21, 2004
The Basement
Today on CFRN with Chase & Nielsen, Mckenzie said it is extremly inportant for the whole Oiler org to speak to their fans, as they havnt to date, detailing ther plans ...etc (though he didnt expressly say Katz).
I wonder if Katz's mouthpiece, hired shill & Oiler apologist Bob Stauffer will take a run at Mckenzie as he did at Jones in an extremy unprofessional fashion (as well as not even dealing with the merits of Jones column).

Yep, I doubt it too...Stauffer isn't about to go up against a true big wig in the media.

hillbillypriest

Mar 20, 2002
there there
Visit site

I know a lot of people on this board would certainly like some kind of public acknowledgement and explanation, but personally I don't get it. To me, it's patently obvious by the organization's disinterest in finding a stop gap starting goaltender that they have pulled the chute on the season and are not doing anything that would "positively" influence their position in the standings. To me, any public pronouncement just help's other GM's in turning the screws to Tambellini on any deal (blue sky or otherwise) that might be under discussion.

Can you shed any light on McKenzie's logic for saying that it is "extremely important" for the Oilers to detail their plans at this time??

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Can you shed any light on McKenzie's logic for saying that it is "extremely important" for the Oilers to detail their plans at this time??

Probably to retain their season ticket holders. You're bang-on about any PR announcement would be killing Tambellini's trading position. PR would have to wait until after the trade deadline. Not sure that McKenzie thought this one all the way through.

Sammy*

I know a lot of people on this board would certainly like some kind of public acknowledgement and explanation, but personally I don't get it. To me, it's patently obvious by the organization's disinterest in finding a stop gap starting goaltender that they have pulled the chute on the season and are not doing anything that would "positively" influence their position in the standings. To me, any public pronouncement just help's other GM's in turning the screws to Tambellini on any deal (blue sky or otherwise) that might be under discussion.

Im paraphrasing. But he certainly did say they should.
CFRN has such a crappy website with no audio vault (doesnt appear the powers that be give a crap about that) so your on your own .

Sammy*

Probably to retain their season ticket holders. You're bang-on about any PR announcement would be killing Tambellini's trading position. PR would have to wait until after the trade deadline. Not sure that McKenzie thought this one all the way through.
I think everyone with a clue knows they have to try & dump contracts, so I dont think Tambo would actually be suprising anyone & compromising his position .
I suspect Mckenzie is of the view that if there is a hockey mad market, & your teams (& org as a whole) performance is beyond pathetic, & there is ample room foom for crtisisim , you should likely speak to the stakeholders.
Its just an opinion, which I dont even know if I neccesarily agree with. But it certainly is a reasonable point of view, & if Stauffer wouldnt have compromised his integrity he might be able to figure that one out. Instead , he chooses to be a shill, mouthpiece & hypocrite & attack Terry Jones the person, not even even the message.

Last edited by a moderator:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Interesting to see what was being posted about Katz and the state of team 5 years ago.

Good for Jones for writing the article he did back then.

You need to sell this city, Daryl, of a few more years at the bottom while all the kids come together to climb to the top.

After four years out of the playoffs and a town tired of eighth place being rare air, that's a tough sell.

And you desperately need good public relations on the arena front. And a horrible hockey team, an arrogant, aloof organization which is going overboard to distance itself from accountability to the community and an invisible owner don't help. Or you're going to have to pay for it yourself.

Edmonton needs to hear from you again, Daryl.

Soon.

Cheers,

Terry Jones

Here we are 5 years later and nothing has changed with this team...nothing. The team has exactly the same issues as it did 5 years ago.

Too thin on defence...lack of quality goaltending...weak down the middle.

Not many signs that the next 5 years are going to be much better and a Katz apology would be just lame at this point.

Katz = fail.

Last edited:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Wah wah wah.

I don't expect the owner of Walmart to come out and address me for not getting enough pickles on the shelves.

And I don't expect Katz to come out and beg the fans to be patient.

What's the difference anyways. Everyone knows what He'll say anyways.

What's he supposed to say for gods sake.

"Sorry Guys!. I'll sell the team to placate you all!"

or

"Yah I'm thinking of Canning Lowe, Mac T, etc. Just need the tank to finish".

or even better

"Yah the tank was my order for this year. I wanted to open the new arena with McDavid in the line up."

I don't expect the owner to appologize.. I don't need anyone to speak to the media to appologize. Hell don't speak to the media at all unless you got something interesting to say.

Badgering the owner to come out and say sorry.. my god this town can get downright pathetic.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
this was bumped, why? just to illustrate again how pathetic the oilers are?
we already know.

Some people might be interested to see the opinions of posters 5 years ago at the 'beginning' of the rebuild.

I found it interesting.

I also enjoyed some of the suggestions by some rather clever posters (hillbillypriest et al) back then.

If you are really that adverse to this thread being bumped why post in it and make it more current?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You have to love bumping 5 year old threads to remind us all the team is garbage.

Come now Jimmi...if it really bothers you that much why post in the thread?

Arent you the least bit interested to see how posters were projecting how the next 5 years were going to play out?

Why so sensitive?

Maybe you and Gord can console each other. :D

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Wah wah wah.

I don't expect the owner of Walmart to come out and address me for not getting enough pickles on the shelves.

And I don't expect Katz to come out and beg the fans to be patient.

What's the difference anyways. Everyone knows what He'll say anyways.

What's he supposed to say for gods sake.

"Sorry Guys!. I'll sell the team to placate you all!"

or

"Yah I'm thinking of Canning Lowe, Mac T, etc. Just need the tank to finish".

or even better

"Yah the tank was my order for this year. I wanted to open the new arena with McDavid in the line up."

I don't expect the owner to appologize.. I don't need anyone to speak to the media to appologize. Hell don't speak to the media at all unless you got something interesting to say.

Badgering the owner to come out and say sorry.. my god this town can get downright pathetic.

He shouldn't apologize because previous attempts have been laughable and hollow. He can't really apologize for being the worst owner in the league. He won't apologize for fleecing the city in a laughable fashion in the arena deal.

I expect no apologies from Katz at all. He is what he is, a terrible owner who suckered the city into a brutal arena deal and is star struck enough to make zero moves in righting the ship of a once great franchise he has had a major part in sewering.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You have to love bumping 5 year old threads to remind us all the team is garbage.

Usually people who hate thread resurrections hate to see their own comments and know just how brutally wrong they have been. I think it is very appropriate to bring up old threads on major topics. Everyone is accountable for their words.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Usually people who hate thread resurrections hate to see their own comments and know just how brutally wrong they have been. I think it is very appropriate to bring up old threads on major topics. Everyone is accountable for their words.

I hadn't thought of this but I suspect you are right on the mark here.

It should be noted though that there is nothing wrong with being wrong.

It happens.

It is interesting to note just how many people were so staunchly defending Katz back then. I wonder how they feel now?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
if you don't like a thread (looking at you jimmi), then don't post in it--seems to be a bad habit of yours. I see my advice to you wasn't taken, though.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Good times, I guess we do need a 5 year thread about a 5 year article/Letter to proper illustrate how miserable things are? Is that what we're accomplishing?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Good times, I guess we do need a 5 year thread about a 5 year article/Letter to proper illustrate how miserable things are? Is that what we're accomplishing?

What are you accomplishing here Jimmi?

If you dont like the thread and dont want to participate then dont.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

It's a clear illustration that problems were identified by some of the people who are usually last to realize them (the media) and those problems are as bad if not worse today.

Also, if the person made a statement without the thread invariably someone would demand a 'link'

The Oilers like to try and get away with a 'redo' each time they fire or hire a new coach, gm, water boy but it simply does not work that way and things like this illustrate the utter futility of this org.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad