Jonathan Toews

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
From HF50^ ^^..."saving the fans from bad GM overpay mistakes" by allowing an option to remove one contract from the books each year???!!!!

HF50, Do you ever read what you write, and contemplate the implications? That's one of the most absurd things you've said in a long time, and that's saying something. The players union would never allow any such move, and that kind of out would only allow GMs to be even more aggressive.

However, I don't expect that you'll reply to this, as you never reply to anyone. Just continue on pontificating and spewing absurdities without thought, and perseverating on the same two or three things that you currently have a wild hair about. The rest of us will carry on with our conversation.

Honestly it is not worth the effort.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'd be in favor of something like one buyout that would not count against the cap every 5 years
The NHLPA would be all for it. That's more money for the players. However, the owners sacrificed an entire season (94-95) to get a hard salary cap (cough Bill Wirtz). Hopefully, there will be at least one buyout allowed with the new CBA (amnesty clause). The NBA did it and we all know Gary Bettman is a David Stern protege. However, there is no way the NHL owners will allow a "reusable" buyout clause. They fought too hard to get a hard salary cap to give that up.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
From HF50^ ^^..."saving the fans from bad GM overpay mistakes" by allowing an option to remove one contract from the books each year???!!!!

HF50, Do you ever read what you write, and contemplate the implications? That's one of the most absurd things you've said in a long time, and that's saying something. The players union would never allow any such move, and that kind of out would only allow GMs to be even more aggressive.

However, I don't expect that you'll reply to this, as you never reply to anyone. Just continue on pontificating and spewing absurdities without thought, and perseverating on the same two or three things that you currently have a wild hair about. The rest of us will carry on with our conversation.
excellent !!!! :biglaugh: :yo:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Demons must have stolen all of his offensive ability. Because he looks like Marcus Kruger most nights.

Made the same comment to my son during the game. Particularly when he was just tossed to the ice a couple of times last night, starting with his 2nd shift.

WTF is wrong with this guy?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Guy plays 20 minutes a night and doesn’t generate any offense whatsoever. It’s a major part of this teams downfall and their depth at center already isn’t good.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Made the same comment to my son during the game. Particularly when he was just tossed to the ice a couple of times last night, starting with his 2nd shift.

Posted this thought in another thread, and it received no comment, so I'll bring it up here. His hand-eye coordination is greatly diminished and reaction time is markedly increased from previous years, and it seems to be progressive.

I'd like to know whether the cumulative effect of the concussions has taken its toll on him. There must be basic/baseline neurologic testing that was done years ago for him, or at least from 2-3 years ago when the concussion protocols were put in place. I wonder what his current testing would reveal in comparison.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Demons must have stolen all of his offensive ability. Because he looks like Marcus Kruger most nights.
it all started when he got a girlfriend. i keep think of the old biblical story of samson and delilah.... ;)

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I know that people have posted that you can get the nutrients needed with his new focused diet but he looks weak and lethargic way more than he should.

Schmaltz could be the answer with Toews and Saad. If you do that Kane will lose some operating space as Cat (while a better offensive player) is a much different type of player as he operates in smaller spaces but creates less space than Schmaltz. Not a knock.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Toews has morphed from a 200 lb player who once played bigger to one who plays small. He gets manhandled too often along the boards. On offense, the whole league knows that the 5-hole is his favorite target.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
He just isn't really a good player anymore.

I know fanboys do not want to admit it but it would be best for the team for him to move on.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I know fanboys do not want to admit it but it would be best for the team for him to move on.

This wrong but that’s ok. There is a difference from only being borderline 1C and not being a good player.

There is not really a difference between a meatball fanboy and a troll though.

Reactions: JaegerDice and pvr

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Maybe he should give Gary Roberts a call.

Everyone should be training with him honestly.

He may as well. He's already on the clean diet Roberts enforces anyway.

Yes, the team would be far better without a legit 1C, where we could watch the Kane line get picked apart as it was last night, or against Washington, or any away game where the opposite coach is smart enough to use last change to put top competition up against what would be the Blackhawks top line if Toews was gone.

I mean, maybe if you were tanking for a particular center at the top of the draft, sure. Moving Toews sounds like a good plan to get fewer points than the Avalanche last season.

Last edited:

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Time to utilize Toews as Marcus Kruger at this point

Debrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-Panik
Sharp-Hinostroza-Hartman
Kero/Bouma/Hayden-Toews-Wingels

give him heavy D-zone starts, PK time, and 2nd unit PP time.. Occasionally throw him out there with Kane when needing a late game push.. hell his line can start the games too.

despite how bad he is offensively, he can steill keep top Cs in the game in check .- Crosby, getzlaf, McDavid, Kopitar - but just give him defensive minded grunts as his wingers

if we sneak into playfofs, active Hossa off LTIR

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Time to utilize Toews as Marcus Kruger at this point

Debrincat-Anisimov-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-Panik
Sharp-Hinostroza-Hartman
Kero/Bouma/Hayden-Toews-Wingels

give him heavy D-zone starts, PK time, and 2nd unit PP time.. Occasionally throw him out there with Kane when needing a late game push.. hell his line can start the games too.

Good lord, Anisimov or Schmaltz would be turned to mulch outside of home ice. One of those lines would be targeted by opposing coaches with top competition. We know X-AA-Kane cant handle it, I personally doubt Schmaltz can either at this stage, even with Saad and Panik. Maybe in a year or two, though at this point Id say the smart money is that Schmaltz ends up a winger in this league rather than a center.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
He may as well. He's already on the clean diet Roberts enforces anyway.

Yes, the team would be far better without a legit 1C, where we could watch the Kane line get picked apart as it was last night, or against Washington, or any away game where the opposite coach is smart enough to use last change to put top competition up against what would be the Blackhawks top line if Toews was gone.

I mean, maybe if you were tanking for a particular center at the top of the draft, sure. Moving Toews sounds like a good plan to get fewer points than the Avalanche last season.

It hurts my brain the lack of logic in here, if Toews was gone his 10.5 would be used towards something else Durrrr, possibly towards a number one Center than is actually worth the money. Now the question is who, that’s beside the point and eventually one can fill in but Toews or anyone is not the only solution to this team’s #1 Center...

sugoi88

Feb 28, 2016

I have noticed he is very thin.
And maybe hockey isn't his #1 interest anymore... (from reports that may be the case)

Last edited:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
It hurts my brain the lack of logic in here, if Toews was gone his 10.5 would be used towards something else Durrrr, possibly towards a number one Center than is actually worth the money. Now the question is who, that’s beside the point and eventually one can fill in but Toews or anyone is not the only solution to this team’s #1 Center...

Yes, 1Cs capable of handling top competition are just laying around ready to be signed. That's a realistic worldview. :laugh:

Look, if you could guarantee Tavares, then sure, move Toews and sign the other JT for 10+ or whatever he demands in UFA to fill the cap space. But that's a pipe dream.

In reality what happens is you hypothetically move Toews, the team gets it's ass kicked deep into lottery position for X number of years until they manage to draft a legit C who can step into the lineup and provide what he can. And lord knows, looking at the never-ending Edmonton, Florida and Arizona rebuilds, it can take awhile to get that legit 1C.

So if you're cool with wasting the rest of Crawford's contract, whatever years Keith has left in knees, and the rest of Kane's prime in lottery position. Sure. Good plan.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well if it is scrabble brains as the putrid excuse for Toews then he should not be playing...put hom.pn LTIR...let us tank to start getting A list prospects I the draft ..especially a new crop of Centers ...

If it o s tge mutients smoothie diet that has weakened Toews to where he has no energy...loses battles..no speed..gets manhandled ..well then order him to change diet o r threaten to waive him if he refuses..

If the excuse is the girlfriend. .then again ..dump her or waive him ultimatum.

If the excuse is the Mach Picchu curse then he mist go back there this summer ..make a blood sacrifice to the gods and beg their mercy to restore his former "greatness" that has gone AOL since his previous visit to the place.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Yes, 1Cs capable of handling top competition are just laying around ready to be signed. That's a realistic worldview. :laugh:

Look, if you could guarantee Tavares, then sure, move Toews and sign the other JT for 10+ or whatever he demands in UFA to fill the cap space. But that's a pipe dream.

In reality what happens is you hypothetically move Toews, the team gets it's ass kicked deep into lottery position for X number of years until they manage to draft a legit C who can step into the lineup and provide what he can. And lord knows, looking at the never-ending Edmonton, Florida and Arizona rebuilds, it can take awhile to get that legit 1C.

So if you're cool with wasting the rest of Crawford's contract, whatever years Keith has left in knees, and the rest of Kane's prime in lottery position. Sure. Good plan.

Toews is not capable of anything right now dude, he can’t even shut down top lines with superiority anymore, he is nothing but a below average number one Center now and that is even debatable, only your imaginary numbers show he is succeeding at anything at the moment, the guy is gonna be between even +/- and +7 at the end of the year with ~50 pts, that’s nothing special and is killing the team. You really have yourself convinced that Toews is the same player he always was don’t you. He will be replaced eventually, if someone takes Toews for nothing and no assets lost you pull the trigger, the team will be just fine. Your hero is not as good as you think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad