Confirmed with Link: Jonathan Huberdeau extended - 8x10.5M

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Come on OKG you know the same thing was said about Gaudreau. I would expect fans of other teams to focus on that but not you.

I just think that it's fair to assume Huberdeau sees a bit of a drop in production if he's playing a tighter checking game. Gaudreau likely would have too, if he wasn't given the best opposite winger he'd ever had in Tkachuk. Huberdeau won't be playing with Tkachuk.

I don't see the discrepency. For Huberdeau to continue to produce at a 115 pt rate he's going to have to be less responsible than Sutter would like.

Not saying he'll be a sub-ppg player, but he probably will be less offensive. Our team last year was less offensive than Huberdeau's team, too.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think one of the biggest clues to me is the fact that Tkachuk is touted as a defensive stalwart. I don't think anyone could actually pinpoint any particular strengths that he has on the defensive side of the puck other than the fact that due to his footspeed, he never attempts to blow the zone and is generally the last one to leave. He regularly misses opportunities to intercept and break up plays, and he defers to linemates 100% of the time on transition plays; however, he has had amazing defensive centres every season since entering the league, who have allowed him to spend very little time in the defensive zone.

Florida fans have been taking Tkachuk's supposed defensive capabilities as the gospel and are in for a bit of a surprise.

Lindholm, meanwhile, is regarded as a worse defensive player than Tkachuk largely because much of his career has been spent on the wing with a broken Sean Monahan at centre.

As I've said before, there is nothing defensively that Huberdeau is not capable of doing. Sutter will give him a role in the system that will work for him.

Some Flames fan site put a Tkachuk article, in which they compare him to Lindholm and it essentially showed that Tkachuk based on a few advanced metrics is a superior defensive player. Now we are talking about 0.1% in most cases; which is all kinds of negligible.

Florida fans and some other of the regular crew have been treating that article like holy scripture.

I think Tkachuk/Barkov have a really, really good chance at being the best duo by advanced statistics in the NHL. That all being said, I don't know if either guys cracks 90 points; mostly because Barkov has only played a single full season in his entire career. Like... anyone think that:

Tkachuk - Bennett - Duclair would actually be anything remotely good? That has 60 points written all over it.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Some Flames fan site put a Tkachuk article, in which they compare him to Lindholm and it essentially showed that Tkachuk based on a few advanced metrics is a superior defensive player. Now we are talking about 0.1% in most cases; which is all kinds of negligible.
The first thing my mind jumps to when I read this is that twitter-lytics topic that bled into HF where Dougie Hamilton was supposedly responsible for Slavin's shut-down prowess. Devils fans latched onto that while both Canes and Flames fans laughed it off.

Tkachuk-Barkov will probably a duo that dominates both ends of the ice for a few years. But I honestly think that Tkachuk will have re-invent himself sooner than later because of his boots. Corey Perry hit 98 points once and then never came close to that again.

The issue with the Flames is that we have too many players with low foot speed. That's why Tkachuk skating is an issue. His foot speed will not be an issue in Florida because the fastest thing on the ice is typically the puck. That's something that MT excels at.

The quick transition and passing of the puck is also not an issue. It's literally one of the complaints in the Jack Han video of Huberdeau vs someone like Gaudreau who likes holding onto it longer like Kane vs being a relay. If anything, it's a good fit that he will have access to centres like Barkov and Bennett who have no issues digging and holding onto the puck for some tic tac toe plays.

Some of the info is overblown, sure. But IMO MT is a good fit.

Flames on the other hand are going to have to figure out how to retool their puck carrying facet to their group's game. In the past it was all deferred to Gaudreau and a handful of players. Now the group will have to learn via committee or acquire players who will do it for them. I do think the Flames can figure out this minor/major stylistic difference post Gaudreau/Tkachuk, but there might be some initial growing pains.
This team always played to its potential when it let its defensemen dictate the pace of play. Having Gio and Brodie as our primary puck carriers made the opposition defend us a 5-man unit rather than focusing on just standing up Gaudreau at the blueline. It's how the Avs won the cup this year and was the foundation of those successful Lightning teams too.

Obviously it would be nice to have the clouds part and sunshine set in with a high-level centre who could take those reins but we don't and probably won't find that guy for a while. The power needs to be transferred back to our Dmen. Kylington and Weegar are elite at carrying the puck. Andersson is slow as molasses but has a good, crisp first pass when he wants to use it. We're discovering that Tanev and Zadorov can put that on display sometimes. Hanifin is a mystery box who was highly touted for his puck-moving abilities but has stopped putting emphasis on that part of this play.

At the end of the day, I'm not too worried about how we move the puck as long as our defensemen are at the forefront of it all. Backlund, Mangiapane, Lindholm, Dube are some of the forwards who can handle that responsibility too but we are doing ourselves a disservice by expecting them to be solely responsible for our transition play. We need an additional top 6 forward so that we can score once we gain the zone.

Tkachuk strikes me as an odd fit in Florida because of their brand of north-south, river hockey. That could reasonably change with Maurice now leading the team but I think there may be some ugly years in the second half of that term.

Reactions: Fig

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think Tkachuk is very good in his own zone, especially at breakouts on his side once the team has acquired the puck. Even a bunch of Gaudreau's scoring last year came on Tkachuk stretch passes from the defensive zone.

Huberdeau does have a repuation for blowing the zone on the other hand. Maybe he'll be better defensively under Sutter though, but if that costs him offense, people are going to be concerned.
Tkachuk's role in the breakout is 100% reliant on his linemates. This year he played with a centre who generally had a perfectly timed burst up the middle when Tkachuk got the puck, and an opposite winger with the speed and elusiveness to stretch the defence and open up space.

Three Tkachuks on a line would never get the puck back, and if they did, they wouldn't have a way to bring it up ice.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Tkachuk has been great in his own zone basically since he stepped on NHL ice. He's a complete beast on the boards, one of the best in the NHL, which for a winger covers like 80% of their defensive responsibilities. Was always one of Gaudreau's shortcomings, mostly just because he's short.

Huberdeau I've always thought was pretty damn good on the boards himself, at least in the OZ, so I'm not sure what has led to such a bad defensive rep. The Panthers generally just have played firewagon end to end hockey for the last while so maybe that has contributed to it.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I just think that it's fair to assume Huberdeau sees a bit of a drop in production if he's playing a tighter checking game. Gaudreau likely would have too, if he wasn't given the best opposite winger he'd ever had in Tkachuk. Huberdeau won't be playing with Tkachuk.

I don't see the discrepency. For Huberdeau to continue to produce at a 115 pt rate he's going to have to be less responsible than Sutter would like.

Not saying he'll be a sub-ppg player, but he probably will be less offensive. Our team last year was less offensive than Huberdeau's team, too.
With new teammates, a new system with more defensive obligations, and the simple fact that it's not a contract year should all factor into a more sustainable 90-ish points.

More is better but certainly not expected.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Tkachuk's role in the breakout is 100% reliant on his linemates. This year he played with a centre who generally had a perfectly timed burst up the middle when Tkachuk got the puck, and an opposite winger with the speed and elusiveness to stretch the defence and open up space.
Three Tkachuks on a line would never get the puck back, and if they did, they wouldn't have a way to bring it up ice.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I don’t disagree at all about this team needing a breath of fresh air. But I do about that change being Gaudreau. Last year we saw all the reasons of why this guy is a winner. He was the one who elevated Lindy and Chucky to elite status. I would’ve loved to have re-signed Johnny, and still deal Tkachuk for the deal that we got. This team probably would’ve won the Western Conference had they done that.
:)

Gudreau elevated for a contract. Flames avoided paying a fortune for one exceptional year.

Huberdeau will make the team better in my opinion.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Gudreau elevated for a contract. Flames avoided paying a fortune for one exceptional year.

I honestly rate them about the same and their impact on the game. I think we’re more balanced with adding Weegar and losing Tkachuk. But I also need to add some teeth back on our lineup. Sam Bennett would he great.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

Gaudreau did not elevate for a contract. He has always been great. He had a 99 point season earlier in his career. He had a couple of down years, but once he got better line mates and a great coach he flourished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad