Confirmed with Link: Jonathan Huberdeau extended - 8x10.5M

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Been processing this since it was announced.

I think we regret this within 3 years. I know this will be seen as a hot take but I think Gaudreau > Huberdeau and I questioned whether you could win with Gaudreau making 10.5 as your best player and Huberdeau is signed for a year longer.

Huberdeau is an elite passer and I don't think he'll fall off a cliff with age. However, I hardly think he's worth 10.5 now let alone in 4 years. Like if we were getting 3 years of a guy who's value was closer to 12 million I could see it but I think last season was Huberdeau's high water mark and he's going to be (slightly) overpaid right from the outset and probably end his contract being overpaid by 3-4 million annually.

I think they were given the clearest sign to rebuild they could have asked for and they still went against it. Whatever, now that it's clear they're going for it they have to re-sign Weegar and make moves to improve the roster. Move future assets for a top 6 (preferably top line center).

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

I think we regret this within 3 years. I know this will be seen as a hot take but I think Gaudreau > Huberdeau and I questioned whether you could win with Gaudreau making 10.5 as your best player and Huberdeau is signed for a year longer.

Huberdeau is an elite passer and I don't think he'll fall off a cliff with age. However, I hardly think he's worth 10.5 now let alone in 4 years. Like if we were getting 3 years of a guy who's value was closer to 12 million I could see it but I think last season was Huberdeau's high water mark and he's going to be (slightly) overpaid right from the outset and probably end his contract being overpaid by 3-4 million annually.

I think they were given the clearest sign to rebuild they could have asked for and they still went against it. Whatever, now that it's clear they're going for it they have to re-sign Weegar and make moves to improve the roster. Move future assets for a top 6 (preferably top line center).
This isn't a hot take at all.

But I'd also counter that Tkachuk<<Huberdeau.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I don't disagree, but I am more optimistic that it'll be an anchor in years 5+ vs 3. The issue isn't management though. The issue is that ownership via CSEC doesn't view success in the same as fans. Thus, consistent above average performance (ie: toiling in mediocrity) is their idea of success over a 10 year span vs major hot and cold performance seasons.

Management and CSEC must adhere to those restrictions, and IMO we are going to navigate a best case scenario within those confines. I don't blame Brad on that one. A rebuild either succeeds as a dynasty after around 5 ish years, or you get a young guns type era for around a decade before starting the rebuild over for around 3-5 years in earnest. There isn't seemingly much in between based on the track records of other teams who have gone that route.

I too would have like a rebuild, but with that option a non-option because ownership, I'm reasonably happy with our current 3-4 year outlook for entertainment expectation from the team.

Reactions: Dack and Boomstick

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I don't understand the argument that a guy who scored 115 points with Sam Bennett isn't a $10.5M player. He also kills penalties.

What more would you want from a guy? He's a top tier offensive player who is harder to play against than anyone we've had on our team recently.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Much prefer him getting this contract over Gaudreau to be honest. I think he will age a lot better and has been a consistent top winger in the NHL for the last few years. Which is was a slightly less amount, but the important thing is hes locked up. Even better is that this contract starts when Lucic and Monahan are off the books.

Now sign Weegar!

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
In a league where a 37 year old Pavelski can go point a game with his skating abilities, or a 36 year old Patrice Bergeron can remain an absolute force after all the miles on his body - I don't have an overwhelming amount of worries about the long term implications. We are talking about arguably the best pure playmaker in the league today. Over the past 4 years only McDavid has more assists than #10 and that's mostly due to his god tier skating ability creating insane amount's of space for himself and other's. This will age better than most believe.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Huberdeau and Gaudreau is a wash, really. Gaudreau will likely age better and as much as I wanted him back with a blank check, the negotiations and that game 5 OT shift left a sour taste in my mouth that make me fine with a change.

If we can replace Tkachuk with a 60-80 point player that doesn't totally shit the bed in the playoffs, then I think we have a better team compared to last season.

Monahan/Lucic, Hanifin, Valimaki should all be shopped so that we can add a top 6 C/RHS RW

paragon

May 5, 2010

He's averaged 99 points during the last 4 seasons, that's 4th best in the NHL. 3rd in points during the last 3 seasons only behind McDavid and Draisaitl. Finished 2nd in scoring last season. Pretty sure that warrants 10.5M.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't understand the argument that a guy who scored 115 points with Sam Bennett isn't a $10.5M player. He also kills penalties.

What more would you want from a guy? He's a top tier offensive player who is harder to play against than anyone we've had on our team recently.

I think there's some weird narrative out there that's making a lot of everything sound like it's garden variety average. It's not really average at all. Strip it away and it makes a bit more sense and there's less doom and gloom.

ie:

1. Player is 29 years old and scored 115 points in the previous season. He was given an extension worth 10.5 x 8 years.

2. Player accomplishment of being the assist record holder at his position. Signed an extension for 10.5 x 8 years the year after getting that record.

The first one I can see the negativity. There have been many more 115 point players, many players who dropped off a cliff soon after. It looks to be a dime a dozen.

The second though, how many players break full season accumulation records only to completely disappear in less than half a decade of accomplishing those records? Even Gio is in great company and got a Norris at such a late stage, but he still looking to be top 4 calibre for 5 years after that Norris win.

Over pay, sure. Anchor, sure. Albatross and worst contract in league, no.

Regret in 3? I feel like it'll be a minor concern over bigger problems with the roster (requiring a major overhaul) in 3-5 years. Regret to me is that we don't even want him on the roster like Neal. Anchor is more like, we wish they made less to give us salary flexibility to address issues around them like Lucic or Monahan.

I don't disagree with @Dack 's opinion in that post. I just feel like the doom and gloom is too much, several years too soon.

Sometimes as sports fans, we need to stop and sniff our rose colored glasses. Otherwise, we will never truly be happy, even if we ultimately win the holy grail, Stanley cup.

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
As much as I loved watching Gaudreau in a Flames jersey over the years, it feels like FINALLY a breath of fresh air with this team. Whether it leads to some playoff success or not, I'm excited to at least start the season with a major shake up... one that this team/city has needed for YEARS. The fact is we hadn't won jack with Gio/Gaudreau/Tkachuk, and the team now feels completely different in identity - exciting times ahead.

Clearly Huberdeau was hurt by how things also worked out in Florida, but I think he feels the same excitement now that the shock from being traded has faded. And he actually WANTS to be here. LFG already!!!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think there's some weird narrative out there that's making a lot of everything sound like it's garden variety average. It's not really average at all. Strip it away and it makes a bit more sense and there's less doom and gloom.

ie:

1. Player is 29 years old and scored 115 points in the previous season. He was given an extension worth 10.5 x 8 years.

2. Player accomplishment of being the assist record holder at his position. Signed an extension for 10.5 x 8 years the year after getting that record.

The first one I can see the negativity. There have been many more 115 point players, many players who dropped off a cliff soon after. It looks to be a dime a dozen.
How many of them were the best player on their line, though? How many of them were playing with players who have never been top line players at any point in their careers?

I feel like quality of teammates is being overlooked with Huberdeau. Tkachuk is going to Florida to ride shotgun with Barkov, which is great for him, and that one line on Florida could be very successful. But Florida is losing a player who gave them two legitimate first lines. I think that having a guy who can not just be good on a top line but make a line elite is being completely overlooked, and I can't understand it.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
How many of them were the best player on their line, though? How many of them were playing with players who have never been top line players at any point in their careers?

I feel like quality of teammates is being overlooked with Huberdeau. Tkachuk is going to Florida to ride shotgun with Barkov, which is great for him, and that one line on Florida could be very successful. But Florida is losing a player who gave them two legitimate first lines. I think that having a guy who can not just be good on a top line but make a line elite is being completely overlooked, and I can't understand it.

Not to mention the hints that Barkov is some absolute one man unit far away from what the Flames can offer. OK fine, Huberdeau did play with Barkov here and there, but not so much so that Flames have no damn way of replicating that talent level on a line with him.

Barkov is superior to what the Flames can offer to pair with Huberdeau, sure. But IMO the pairings even when he played with Barkov looked to be reminiscent of JG/Monahan/Hudler - Ferland etc. With Lindholm and our improved RW options (which we probably might still upgrade) I think we can at least get it back on par with what Huberdeau played with in Florida, right? I consider that a wash and it has never really been a major issue or concern with me. I don't get why others are making that type of deal about it.

I think all players involved with fit their new teams like a glove. It's actually mindboggling how damn good all 3 forecast to fit with the teams.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Slot Pelletier to play RW on that line while we're at it :naughty:

Now you've gone too far. A fully French line would be out of this world extra terrestrial. Like Franco phone home level of weird. :laugh:

Been watching him since his Saint John SeaDogs days...he's really awesome and I hope he can get the recognition now that he is in Canada.

Very happy for you guys and I hope he works out wonderfully for you guys!

What? He's a Seadog alumni? Interesting.

Random coincidence... We had a handful of prospects on that team last season.

paragon

May 5, 2010
That is purely untrue. In the last 25 years it has been done 12 times by 9 players.

Lemieux, Jagr, Sakic, Thornton, Crosby, McDavid, Kucherov, Huberdeau and Gaudreau. None of them fell off the cliff.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
That is purely untrue. In the last 25 years it has been done 12 times by 9 players.

Lemieux, Jagr, Sakic, Thornton, Crosby, McDavid, Kucherov, Huberdeau and Gaudreau. None of them fell off the cliff.

I think you misread. I'm saying if you word the narrative it looks that way. I'm agree with you. I am wondering why there's so much negativity and I wonder if the narrative wording was changed, whether some of that negativity just vanishes.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
He's averaged 99 points during the last 4 seasons, that's 4th best in the NHL. 3rd in points during the last 3 seasons only behind McDavid and Draisaitl. Finished 2nd in scoring last season. Pretty sure that warrants 10.5M.

This. When you factor in the players moving without Tre being able to do anything about it, this signing is yet another move in a long list of better-than-expected GM actions to maintain this team's contender status. I don't think anything better could've been imagined tbh.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

Even though he's a decent PKer his 5v5 defense has been really poor in his career. But most of all I'm worried about empty stats.

Despite getting 115 points last season Huberdeau wasn't the dominant 5v5 force that Gaudreau/our top line was.

Out of Florida skaters who played 300 5v5 minutes

Huberdeau ranked:
19/22 in xGF%
13/22 in GF%
Almost all of the players below him were 4th liners.

Essentially the Panthers outscored and outchanced the other team by a greater margin with Huberdeau off the ice than they did with him on it. He's a great playmaker but I don't think he's a franchise player and he's going to be paid like one. The analytics don't love him because he gives up as much as he gets (yes linemates can impact this and we'll see what effect playing with Lindholm has). There's a host of players that Draisaitl could out produce that I think are better than he is.

Now I'm hopeful that in Sutter's system his two-way game will improve but I need to see it. I still think the trade was great and I think he's better than Tkachuk but I wasn't ready to give Gaudreau 10.5 and I don't think Huberdeau is a better player.

Also when I say regretting it by year 3 I just meant realizing that he's not worth that contract, not that he's going to decline and be bad by then.

Reactions: Felidae and Dertell

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
As much as I loved watching Gaudreau in a Flames jersey over the years, it feels like FINALLY a breath of fresh air with this team. Whether it leads to some playoff success or not, I'm excited to at least start the season with a major shake up... one that this team/city has needed for YEARS. The fact is we hadn't won jack with Gio/Gaudreau/Tkachuk, and the team now feels completely different in identity - exciting times ahead.

Clearly Huberdeau was hurt by how things also worked out in Florida, but I think he feels the same excitement now that the shock from being traded has faded. And he actually WANTS to be here. LFG already!!!

I tend to agree.

My only wish looking back is that Tre had the same amount of intensity during Johnny's last signing rather than coming across as disinterested and even insulting to our bona-fide superstar at the time. Factor in Mony signing something in Johnny's ballpark while most followers saw Gaudreau as the primary reason for his centreman's offensive totals, and then the last couple of awkward years after with Mony's status disintegrating into the press-box, I think a new start was in order for all involved. As much as that pains me deeply to acknowledge.

Glad Tre recognized urgency and acted strongly.

Reactions: CF Magic

paragon

May 5, 2010
I think you misread. I'm saying if you word the narrative it looks that way. I'm agree with you. I am wondering why there's so much negativity and I wonder if the narrative wording was changed, whether some of that negativity just vanishes.
Yes you said that was the narrative, but the part I was quoting wasn't a part of that hypothetical narrative. You said "The first one I can see the negativity." Which mean that the sentence that follows isn't part of a narrative.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Even though he's a decent PKer his 5v5 defense has been really poor in his career. But most of all I'm worried about empty stats.

Despite getting 115 points last season Huberdeau wasn't the dominant 5v5 force that Gaudreau/our top line was.

Out of Florida skaters who played 300 5v5 minutes

Huberdeau ranked:
19/22 in xGF%
13/22 in GF%
Almost all of the players below him were 4th liners.

Essentially the Panthers outscored and outchanced the other team by a greater margin with Huberdeau off the ice than they did with him on it. He's a great playmaker but I don't think he's a franchise player and he's going to be paid like one. The analytics don't love him because he gives up as much as he gets (yes linemates can impact this and we'll see what effect playing with Lindholm has). There's a host of players that Draisaitl could out produce that I think are better than he is.

Now I'm hopeful that in Sutter's system his two-way game will improve but I need to see it. I still think the trade was great and I think he's better than Tkachuk but I wasn't ready to give Gaudreau 10.5 and I don't think Huberdeau is a better player.

Also when I say regretting it by year 3 I just meant realizing that he's not worth that contract, not that he's going to decline and be bad by then.

Prior to last year, Gaudreau was seen as a defensive liability too. Plugging Huberdeau into Sutter's system and putting him with a more talented centre will make all the difference.

A coach can't make a player put up 115 points, but he can definitely turn a guy with that kind of talent into a 5-on-5 force. This isn't a case of James Neal or Troy Brouwer who were awful skaters and put up offence by being carried into the offensive zone by dominant teams. Huberdeau is a play-driver. There is nothing that he can't do if he's asked to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad