Confirmed with Link: Jonathan Huberdeau extended - 8x10.5M

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Prior to last year, Gaudreau was seen as a defensive liability too. Plugging Huberdeau into Sutter's system and putting him with a more talented centre will make all the difference.

A coach can't make a player put up 115 points, but he can definitely turn a guy with that kind of talent into a 5-on-5 force. This isn't a case of James Neal or Troy Brouwer who were awful skaters and put up offence by being carried into the offensive zone by dominant teams. Huberdeau is a play-driver. There is nothing that he can't do if he's asked to do it.
But even when Gaudreau wasn't a good defensive player he drove play. He was always near the top of our team in XGF% (save for 2019/2020 and 2020/2021 and I think it's very clear that this was caused by linemates).

I hope Huberdeau can do the same and I expect a Sutter bump but I just think that 10.5 is a LOT of dough, I don't think I would have paid Gaudreau that and I think 13 is the better player.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Don't think you can overpay for the only star player on the team. I can't understand not liking this deal. We get a top 5 offensive player and don't have to do the half assed rebuild that would have happened if he wouldn't stick around. There are still holes on the team but a 2nd line center is a lot easier to find then a star player

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
As much as I loved watching Gaudreau in a Flames jersey over the years, it feels like FINALLY a breath of fresh air with this team. Whether it leads to some playoff success or not, I'm excited to at least start the season with a major shake up... one that this team/city has needed for YEARS. The fact is we hadn't won jack with Gio/Gaudreau/Tkachuk, and the team now feels completely different in identity - exciting times ahead.

Clearly Huberdeau was hurt by how things also worked out in Florida, but I think he feels the same excitement now that the shock from being traded has faded. And he actually WANTS to be here. LFG already!!!
I don’t disagree at all about this team needing a breath of fresh air. But I do about that change being Gaudreau. Last year we saw all the reasons of why this guy is a winner. He was the one who elevated Lindy and Chucky to elite status. I would’ve loved to have re-signed Johnny, and still deal Tkachuk for the deal that we got. This team probably would’ve won the Western Conference had they done that.

Reactions: Tofveve

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Don't think you can overpay for the only star player on the team. I can't understand not liking this deal. We get a top 5 offensive player and don't have to do the half assed rebuild that would have happened if he wouldn't stick around. There are still holes on the team but a 2nd line center is a lot easier to find then a star player
So much this.

Reactions: Tofveve

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
But even when Gaudreau wasn't a good defensive player he drove play. He was always near the top of our team in XGF% (save for 2019/2020 and 2020/2021 and I think it's very clear that this was caused by linemates).

I hope Huberdeau can do the same and I expect a Sutter bump but I just think that 10.5 is a LOT of dough, I don't think I would have paid Gaudreau that and I think 13 is the better player.
Sure, but Huberdeau was playing with two bottom six players. This was a luxury afforded to Florida because of how good Huberdeau is.

I think we'll find out a lot next year about how much Lindholm helped Gaudreau this past season.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
At least we can keep the tried and true traditions of building around a winger and never drafting high going. Was worried there for a second we were about to be forced to be practical.

Flames truly are the Don Quixote of hockey teams.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
At least we can keep the tried and true traditions of building around a winger and never drafting high going. Was worried there for a second we were about to be forced to be practical.

Flames truly are the Don Quixote of hockey teams.
If there’s one thing we should never be worried about is this fanchise’s ability to aquire/draft quality wingers

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
neutral fan here, atleast you get a star player to watch for years to come. With that said, I unfortunately do not see any cups in the foreseeable future. Welcome to the upperclass of mediocracy zone. Where playoffs are abound, and 1st and 2nd round exits will be the main course.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I hope that Huberdeau tweaks his game. I wonder if some of the criticisms of him are along the lines of him basically put in a situation where he just played in a certain way on the Panthers and a change of scenery can help to unlock a few tools he sealed off (ie: How we complain Monahan may have not learned certain skills at the NHL level because Gaudreau). It's possible he just started going through the motions after a while. Not a major overhaul to his game, just minor tweaks that were in the Jack Han video such as anchoring his feet, or always looking to get the puck just to quickly pass it away (and perhaps instead, keeps feet moving and holding slightly longer and shooting more).

Gaudreau evolved and unlocked certain skills after Sutter. I hope Huberdeau can be the same if we cannot play in a specific style that allowed him to anchor and quickly pass like before. He might be more engaged and enjoy the change in style and pace a lot more. Fingers crossed.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
People are going to be incredibly upset when his JFresh card comes back with blue EV Defence next year.

The fact people still can't seem to grasp that scoring players based off those cards is equivalent to scoring the weather in different parts of the world is still shocking to me.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
People are going to be incredibly upset when his JFresh card comes back with blue EV Defence next year.

The fact people still can't seem to grasp that scoring players based off those cards is equivalent to scoring the weather in different parts of the world is still shocking to me.
I think he does very simplified graphics based on some stats, but can be helpful in some ways.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think he does very simplified graphics based on some stats, but can be helpful in some ways.

I think of the meltdowns this fanbase had over Tanev, Gudbranson or Zadorov because their player cards didn't look pretty, is a good indication of how useful they actually are.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I think of the meltdowns this fanbase had over Tanev, Gudbranson or Zadorov because their player cards didn't look pretty, is a good indication of how useful they actually are.
Yeah, it's just widely available stats. He's not really hurting anybody, but it's comical how mad people get. He blocks people too for questioning him, so it's all pretty dumb.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Dom L's fervent defense of an algorithm that deems Matthews as the best player in the league is more interesting to me

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think one of the biggest clues to me is the fact that Tkachuk is touted as a defensive stalwart. I don't think anyone could actually pinpoint any particular strengths that he has on the defensive side of the puck other than the fact that due to his footspeed, he never attempts to blow the zone and is generally the last one to leave. He regularly misses opportunities to intercept and break up plays, and he defers to linemates 100% of the time on transition plays; however, he has had amazing defensive centres every season since entering the league, who have allowed him to spend very little time in the defensive zone.

Florida fans have been taking Tkachuk's supposed defensive capabilities as the gospel and are in for a bit of a surprise.

Lindholm, meanwhile, is regarded as a worse defensive player than Tkachuk largely because much of his career has been spent on the wing with a broken Sean Monahan at centre.

As I've said before, there is nothing defensively that Huberdeau is not capable of doing. Sutter will give him a role in the system that will work for him.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Florida fans will be in for a surprise when they see how slow Tkachuk is. Zito built that team by accruing a bunch of guys that were raw but were known for playing quickly in transition. His footspeed is so limiting that I think it's within the realm of possibility that 34 year old Huberdeau will be as good or better than 29 year old Tkachuk.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think one of the biggest clues to me is the fact that Tkachuk is touted as a defensive stalwart. I don't think anyone could actually pinpoint any particular strengths that he has on the defensive side of the puck other than the fact that due to his footspeed, he never attempts to blow the zone and is generally the last one to leave. He regularly misses opportunities to intercept and break up plays, and he defers to linemates 100% of the time on transition plays; however, he has had amazing defensive centres every season since entering the league, who have allowed him to spend very little time in the defensive zone.

Florida fans have been taking Tkachuk's supposed defensive capabilities as the gospel and are in for a bit of a surprise.

Lindholm, meanwhile, is regarded as a worse defensive player than Tkachuk largely because much of his career has been spent on the wing with a broken Sean Monahan at centre.

As I've said before, there is nothing defensively that Huberdeau is not capable of doing. Sutter will give him a role in the system that will work for him.
I think Tkachuk is very good in his own zone, especially at breakouts on his side once the team has acquired the puck. Even a bunch of Gaudreau's scoring last year came on Tkachuk stretch passes from the defensive zone.

Huberdeau does have a repuation for blowing the zone on the other hand. Maybe he'll be better defensively under Sutter though, but if that costs him offense, people are going to be concerned.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I think Tkachuk is very good in his own zone, especially at breakouts on his side once the team has acquired the puck. Even a bunch of Gaudreau's scoring last year came on Tkachuk stretch passes from the defensive zone.

Huberdeau does have a repuation for blowing the zone on the other hand. Maybe he'll be better defensively under Sutter though, but if that costs him offense, people are going to be concerned.
Tkachuk got lucky on some bounces to Gaudreau out of the D zone. Realistically because of his foot speed the only thing he can do is flick the puck out to the NZ. A handful of times it landed on Johnny’s tape. Doesn’t mean he’s good at it, especially considering 90% of the time it was a turnover

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Florida fans will be in for a surprise when they see how slow Tkachuk is. Zito built that team by accruing a bunch of guys that were raw but were known for playing quickly in transition. His footspeed is so limiting that I think it's within the realm of possibility that 34 year old Huberdeau will be as good or better than 29 year old Tkachuk.

The issue with the Flames is that we have too many players with low foot speed. That's why Tkachuk skating is an issue. His foot speed will not be an issue in Florida because the fastest thing on the ice is typically the puck. That's something that MT excels at.

The quick transition and passing of the puck is also not an issue. It's literally one of the complaints in the Jack Han video of Huberdeau vs someone like Gaudreau who likes holding onto it longer like Kane vs being a relay. If anything, it's a good fit that he will have access to centres like Barkov and Bennett who have no issues digging and holding onto the puck for some tic tac toe plays.

Some of the info is overblown, sure. But IMO MT is a good fit.

Flames on the other hand are going to have to figure out how to retool their puck carrying facet to their group's game. In the past it was all deferred to Gaudreau and a handful of players. Now the group will have to learn via committee or acquire players who will do it for them. I do think the Flames can figure out this minor/major stylistic difference post Gaudreau/Tkachuk, but there might be some initial growing pains.

Oddly enough, this stylistic aspect sounds similar between Huberdeau and Tkachuk. It'll be interesting to see how he integrates. But without JG as a puck carrier, I think a style tweak will need to be implemented for the players. They'll need to take on a little more in terms of puck carrying responsibility.

However, I think the Sutter thing is silly. Gaudreau had those criticisms and he responded great. I don't think Sutter is against Huberdeau blowing the zone. Sutter likely just wants Huberdeau to play positionally 5-15 feet closer to the net vs the typical "no defense" criticisms of forwards. That way he can break up more plays or force the opposition to re-enter the zone.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada

Come on OKG you know the same thing was said about Gaudreau. I would expect fans of other teams to focus on that but not you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad