Jonathan Drouin vs William Nylander

Who you take going forward ?

• Total voters

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Uhh, hes been right back at a 60 to 70 point pace after about his first 20 games. Whoch is in line with his first 2 seasons. Both of which would be career bests for drouin.

I shouldnt be surprised but this poll should be a landslide win for nylander.
Well sure, if you chop his performance up into pieces that best suit your narrative, you can turn him into any kind of player you want. Leaf fans are big on using small sample sizes when it makes their player look better and paint anyone who points this out is a small sample size as a hater. But those same Leaf fans are quick to whine and complain if those same sample sizes show that their beloved player has regressed severely. They insist those sample sizes are completely irrelevant and only the time period that shows the Leaf in the best light possible can be considered when assessing the player, not the entire picture.

Just like you're example, you want us to ONLY consider that last 20 games where he has been playing better and ignore the first 20 ever he was useless. Queue the "but he missed training camp" excuse.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Well sure, if you chop his performance up into pieces that best suit your narrative, you can turn him into any kind of player you want. Leaf fans are big on using small sample sizes when it makes their player look better and paint anyone who points this out is a small sample size as a hater. But those same Leaf fans are quick to whine and complain if those same sample sizes show that their beloved player has regressed severely. They insist those sample sizes are completely irrelevant and only the time period that shows the Leaf in the best light possible can be considered when assessing the player, not the entire picture.

Just like you're example, you want us to ONLY consider that last 20 games where he has been playing better and ignore the first 20 ever he was useless. Queue the "but he missed training camp" excuse.

He has 2 full seasons of 60 plus points before that. Are you gonna chop that out?

If he was scoring at a good clip f9r the first time it would be different but he has always scored at a good clip. The first 20 games isbthe first time he hasnt. Quite different.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
He has 2 full seasons of 60 plus points before that. Are you gonna chop that out?

If he was scoring at a good clip f9r the first time it would be different but he has always scored at a good clip. The first 20 games isbthe first time he hasnt. Quite different.
No. No one wants to ignore his first two seasons. All of us agree that Nylander can produce when he is carried by top end players, like his first two seasons. However, what we are seeing now is that Nylander is a very ordinary player when he is the one relied on to create the offense. See, not cutting out anything.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
No. No one wants to ignore his first two seasons. All of us agree that Nylander can produce when he is carried by top end players, like his first two seasons. However, what we are seeing now is that Nylander is a very ordinary player when he is the one relied on to create the offense. See, not cutting out anything.
Carried by top end players eh?

Hes played with high end players most ifbhis career, because thebleafs are full of them. Hes only had a couple of stints without, and in one he produced extremely well. The other not so much.

The thing is, drouin has never produced as well in any situation.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Oh in those 22 games. He could have easily scored at a 20 pt pace in the next 40 .
His big seasons where he actually did put up points he player mostly with Matthews.

Or he could have gone PPG: see fictitious scenarios can go both ways

He’s been an NHLer for less than three seasons, so of course the biggest sample size of production will come from his most common linemate. That isn’t evidence of anything

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

This is just evidence you haven’t particulaly paid attention to the Leafs the last few seasons.

Let’s take for example Nylander’s rookie season: Matthews had a fairly cool finish (in terms of production) that year: while Nylander was near PPG since the all star break and was arguably the team’s best forward

Last edited:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Uhh, hes been right back at a 60 to 70 point pace after about his first 20 games. Whoch is in line with his first 2 seasons. Both of which would be career bests for drouin.

He’s on a 53.5 point pace since his first 20
So no not 60 to 70

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

So your saying when put on a line with players that can carry him he's stats go up. When he's the go to guy he's stats go down. Wow that's hard to believe.

Reactions: Snowman

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
Nylander has 5 goals. Anyone catch that clip on by Kelly Hrudy on HNIC that his intensity is that of which you see in tidbits hockey. His contract is already one of the worst in the NHL, and unfortunately Toronto is stuck with him, no one takes that contract.

As for Drouin 17 goals so far on pace to 22 and 60. And paid 5.5 compared to 7, plays with intensity and shows up every night.

Not a hard choice who anyone would take.

Last edited:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
18 points in 24 games. 62 point pace.

Go work on your math.

When I looked at the stats last night it just said 43 games played, I’m guessing cause the current one wasn’t over yet, my mistake.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
They're both very similar players. Skilled complementary players who are as soft as butter. I'd take Drouin just because of the contract.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
If you're getting paid 10 million, you score or you're underperforming.

Of Johnathon Toews takes flak for it, then you better believe Nylander will too after holding out

Not the figure.
It was last year due to pro-ration, but its not the number this season
keep up....

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Way closer than you think. Heck I'd take Drouin if money is part of the equation.
They're not even close IMO. Drouin scores at a mediocre 2nd/3rd line rate at ES (for comparison last year his scoring rates were about the same as Lehkonen and Byron) and is one of the worst defensive forwards in the league.

Nylander's no Selke candidate but he's merely mediocre defensively instead of horrid, and he does so much more driving play and in transition. while also being a significantly more effective scorer (outside of last year which I'm willing to take with a grain of salt, and even at his worst he still scored at a better rate than Drouin). So when he's not scoring he's a dramatically more effective player, and historically he's a way better scorer as well.

dvLPOPt.png

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Nylander may have had that contract dispute and missed all those games, but at least he didn't leave his AHL team like Drouin did when he was with Tampa and demanded a trade. Plus if he was not French Canadian there is no way Montreal gives up Sergachev for him.

'The guy who wanted to play in the NHL is the primadonna here'

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Drouin looks real good this year , I'd probably take Nylander but Drouin on the leafs would most likely put up more points than willy on the habs

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
The yearly 10 game stretch where Drouin fools people into thinking he is a good player is here early. I wonder how many months it will take until Montreal fans get sick of him this time?
All depends.If he starts to suck like Nylander did last season than i'd expect we get on him quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad