Player Discussion: Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
* Voronkov - Jenner - Laine (remember chemistry Jenner and Laine in 201/22 season when they played with Gus)
* Gaudreau - Fantilli - Marchenko (Johnny can pass, play combination hockey and not shoot to OZ for Boone)
* Chinakhov - Sillinger - xxx (later Roslovic)
* Texier - Kuraly - Danforth

I think these lines could maybe help to Johnny. Or not?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Interesting article confirming that the 115 pts in the 2021-2022 season has a lot to do with Tkachuk, and that his current numbers are not that surprising.
Does that mean that Gaudreau was seriously overrated, especially by Jarmo? Is the next Tkachuk already here or must he be traded? Can that happen quickly?
Johnny has NMC. Jarmo can't trade him without his permission.

tchigo

Dec 13, 2019
If a guy scores 115 pts every year he's worth a lot more than $9.75m a year. We're paying him closer to an 80 pt guy. And Gaudreau can get back there.

No there's no reason he "must be traded".

What is this panicky nonsense.
must he be traded did not refer to Gaudreau but a to a potential Gaudreau's partner who should be traded to CBJ in order to help Gaudreau.

I don't know if he can get back there without a better linemate. Good that you believe it, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Through 30 games he's getting outscored by a rookie on his own team.

The "why is he with Jenner??" excuses will no longer apply over the next several weeks.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Johnny is playing well and Boone Jenner is not his problem.

His problem is he’s not shooting enough, and his teammates aren’t converting on his passes. I have no issues with Gaudreau right now. It’s frustrating at his salary that he’s not producing, but it’s not because of a lack of chances or that he’s playing bad like he was earlier in the season.

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Vincent is always talking about confidence. Got an idea for him. Put your winger (Jhockey) whose confidence is probably waning with the guy that your GM drafted to be a franchise center. Maybe don't play them like a traditional first line (shield from some DZ faceoffs) and let them do their things.

Playing Gaudreau with Danforth or Olivier when Boone is out and Fantilli is doing just fine blows my tiny mind.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Johnny is playing well and Boone Jenner is not his problem.

His problem is he’s not shooting enough, and his teammates aren’t converting on his passes. I have no issues with Gaudreau right now. It’s frustrating at his salary that he’s not producing, but it’s not because of a lack of chances or that he’s playing bad like he was earlier in the season.

He's 1-3-4 in his last 8 games. 0.5 PPG which is his pace for the entire season.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I already said he wasn’t producing, but at least he’s playing better. He doesn’t quite look like vintage Gaudreau but he’s far closer than he was in October.
I agree that he doesn't look bad, but it's important (I think so anyway) for him to start putting some numbers on the board. The old cliche of "putting someone in a position to succeed" is something that I think that needs to be done with JHockey.

While many seemed to be focused upon the development of KJ and leaving him with Fantilli, I would opt for the restoration of the confidence of a proven NHL performer over a player who may or may not become a top quality NHLer (KJ). The two marquee wingers (JH and Laine) for this team are just not producing and that should be addressed before anything else. They are both on long term contracts and while each player bears a lot of the responsibility for their sub par performances this season, I don't think that the coaching staff has handled them particularly well. The Russian line is set and it's time to put Fantilli with the big names and leave him there. KJ can develop with other players as his linemates.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
What is with Johnny? His points per 82 games are 48. His whole stats, not only G/A/P/+/- aren't ideal. I can be mistake but IMO he doesn't have too good chemistry with his partners.
Injury, personal problems, no motivation or? Do you have any inside?

Last edited by a moderator:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He was playing really well right before the new year/Christmas break

And ever since I think he’s checked out. I don’t think he’s playing poorly, but he’s just blending in. Which isn’t ideal either.

Reactions: majormajor

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
His tenure here relative to his contract and in absolute terms is another Jarmo brain fart looking for the quick fix to a team that needed a lot more than a guy who just had a career year with two other guys having career years.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
His tenure here relative to his contract and in absolute terms is another Jarmo brain fart looking for the quick fix to a team that needed a lot more than a guy who just had a career year with two other guys having career years.
He was the shiniest new toy available. The fact that he had probably peaked and appears to lack any leadership qualities evidently wasn't part of the signing equation.

Jarmo has perfected the "buy high sell low" model on his long term contracts.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

And ever since I think he’s checked out. I don’t think he’s playing poorly, but he’s just blending in. Which isn’t ideal either.
The problem is, that it was not since the beginning of the season when he played long enough not ideal. Taking the pressure has always had problems.

In his case, it's hard to blame Jarmo. His signing showed that excellent free agents can come to Columbus and thus boosted ticket sales.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In his case, it's hard to blame Jarmo. His signing showed that excellent free agents can come to Columbus and thus boosted ticket sales.
Who else should I blame? If JG was an excellent FA he wouldn't play like he is playing and to the attractiveness of Columbus his signing makes no difference to other guys unless a UFA decides he can milk a lot of extra $ from Jarmo.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That's how I saw it.

He was flying, and then.... plodding. Must have eaten a big turkey.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00