Player Discussion Johnny Gaudreau is really small

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Oilers' fan here. (I didn't want to start a new thread to discuss this.)

So... In my view---as I explained on the scary main-board, with some statistical support---the front-runners for the Hart trophy should be Johnny Gaudreau and Connor McDavid. I lean towards Gaudreau, and he would get my vote for 1st (McDavid 2nd, and Matthews 3rd).

The thing I can't understand is why there isn't more of a groundswell of support for him as the Hart winner? He seems to be in the news now more for his upcoming contract situation than his Hart candidacy. On the main boards here (not necessary where the most intelligent go to proselytize), it seems a foregone conclusion that the Hart will go to Matthews or McDavid....

I don't get it. Gaudreau, for me, checks all the boxes as the ideal Hart winner:
-- He's never won before (not even close), so he has that 'shiny-new toy' aspect that voters enjoy
-- Team narrative: Flames went from mediocre to awesome in back-to-back seasons
-- His team is very good when he/his line is on the ice, and mediocre-to-poor when he (they) is not on the ice.
-- 3rd n scoring (could still end up 2nd)
-- 1st in ES points, by a landslide (a historically great season here!)
-- utterly dominant at ES, with +63 being the best since the 2004 Lockout until today.

Anyway, I'm just wondering, do you guys think he's going to even be top-3 in Hart voting? For me, he's the winner.
I doubt he'll be top 3. I expect Matthews to win (currently -300 in betting markets with McDavid +275) and Johnny is +1800. No chance he wins, and I expect Huberdeau to be in the top 3 as well. Shesterkin probably gets more votes than Johnny tbh.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Because calgary, I could see him lose the Hart voting Iggy style. No one cares about us.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Oilers' fan here. (I didn't want to start a new thread to discuss this.)

So... In my view---as I explained on the scary main-board, with some statistical support---the front-runners for the Hart trophy should be Johnny Gaudreau and Connor McDavid. I lean towards Gaudreau, and he would get my vote for 1st (McDavid 2nd, and Matthews 3rd).

The thing I can't understand is why there isn't more of a groundswell of support for him as the Hart winner? He seems to be in the news now more for his upcoming contract situation than his Hart candidacy. On the main boards here (not necessary where the most intelligent go to proselytize), it seems a foregone conclusion that the Hart will go to Matthews or McDavid....

I don't get it. Gaudreau, for me, checks all the boxes as the ideal Hart winner:
-- He's never won before (not even close), so he has that 'shiny-new toy' aspect that voters enjoy
-- Team narrative: Flames went from mediocre to awesome in back-to-back seasons
-- His team is very good when he/his line is on the ice, and mediocre-to-poor when he (they) is not on the ice.
-- 3rd n scoring (could still end up 2nd)
-- 1st in ES points, by a landslide (a historically great season here!)
-- utterly dominant at ES, with +63 being the best since the 2004 Lockout until today.

Anyway, I'm just wondering, do you guys think he's going to even be top-3 in Hart voting? For me, he's the winner.
He should be a finalist but he won’t be. I’ve just accepted it at this point

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Betti

Feb 24, 2022
Gaudreau still looking younger than their age? Eh

Attachments

• 8476346.jpg
    8476346.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 5

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Soooo……does he stay?

Yes. We probably would have missed the playoffs without him or barely squeaked in. I didn't think he was all he could've been in the playoffs but he was one of our better players overall. 10 mill per. I don't want a really long contract. Make it 6 or 7 years. He's an elite talent and those are extremely hard to come by.

Ovechkin didn't win a cup until he was 32 and a half and still just has the one. Winning in the playoffs is very difficult.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
If Brad hasn't pushed that 8x10 contract and pen in front him this morning...
Though, is there a window to extend, or do they have to wait til jul 1 now? How does that work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad