The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
tom-brady-lfg.gif

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was repeating what I was hearing man. Not sure what to tell you.

Too bad our jury was out on that one. Because VGK showed we needed the in jury to consummate the deal. :naughty:

I'll show myself out.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think it’s really hard to dispute we weren’t heavily in Eichel. We obviously were, I think Krebs is what swung the deal out of our favour.

I feel like Krebs was a bit of a smoke screen too. tuch is another serious key piece that I think would have tilted it towards VGK too. He bleeds buffalo sabres even though this guy's are a tire fire. No matter how bad the sabres get, he also likely will not get souray'd.

The final thing that gave them the green light was LTIR. Maybe we had the lead in the pieces for Eichel, but was having a hell of a time moving the cap necessary to finalize?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think it’s really hard to dispute we weren’t heavily in Eichel. We obviously were, I think Krebs is what swung the deal out of our favour.

According to Friedman we were always in but never close. Basically we just circled back once a week to make sure buffalo wasn't giving him away.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
So does Johnny hit 100 pts? 21 games to go and at 79 pts. Would be a bummer if he falls off the pace and ends up at 99 or in that sub 100 ball-park. I guess good for re-signing purposes. Probably bad for Hart potential unless he goes on a tear. Thought it was likely he'd hit 100, now over the last few games and into the stretch run I'm not so sure. I'm certainly pulling for my favorite Flame to hit the milestone (by the way Theo Fleury only hit it 2x - 100 and 104 pts respectively).

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
So does Johnny hit 100 pts? 21 games to go and at 79 pts. Would be a bummer if he falls off the pace and ends up at 99 or in that sub 100 ball-park. I guess good for re-signing purposes. Probably bad for Hart potential unless he goes on a tear. Thought it was likely he'd hit 100, now over the last few games and into the stretch run I'm not so sure. I'm certainly pulling for my favorite Flame to hit the milestone (by the way Theo Fleury only hit it 2x - 100 and 104 pts respectively).
90 points with 17 games to go.. yeah, I think he hits it.

Tkachuk needs 18 in 17 games to hit it too, which is not unrealistic.

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
As much as I never want the Johnny Gaudreau experience to end, typically smaller players elite play drops off sooner and harder toward the end. They have to battle so hard throughout their career and when the legs start to go even a little, it all drops off rather dramatically.

Eight years . . . Would love it, but maybe 6 or 7 is the right number. Would also love to have him finish up here. But it does give him that option of a twilight contract in Philly if he chose to. Sad to even think of the end.

Ah heck, give him 8 and hopefully he signs a 3 year afterward to retire a Flame!

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
As much as I never want the Johnny Gaudreau experience to end, typically smaller players elite play drops off sooner and harder toward the end. They have to battle so hard throughout their career and when the legs start to go even a little, it all drops off rather dramatically.

Eight years . . . Would love it, but maybe 6 or 7 is the right number. Would also love to have him finish up here. But it does give him that option of a twilight contract in Philly if he chose to. Sad to even think of the end.

Ah heck, give him 8 and hopefully he signs a 3 year afterward to retire a Flame!

I think the term is required to keep the AAV down.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I disagree. When I think of little guys like St. Louis and Briere I think about guys who avoid contact so successfully that their bodies last longer.

It's the Monahan/Neal/Heatley/Ryan guys who seem to break down early. Not sure even how to define that archetype. The SUVs of the NHL.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Ah . . . Not sure how that works entirely, but I imagine they sweeten the first 4 years or so then it starts to scale back for the final few years.
Yeah - you can use Darnell Nurse's contract as a template of sorts. Well, maybe not really due to the signing bonuses lol.

High real dollars to start, trailing off to low real dollars at the end. Cap hit remains the same. Guarantee that money over eight years instead of seven so you can give more in the first years.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
It's the Monahan/Neal/Heatley/Ryan guys who seem to break down early. Not sure even how to define that archetype. The SUVs of the NHL.
Yeah. But those are guys who have all taken a LOT of abuse to make plays, and they never really recovered from it. Monahan playing through injury after injury. Playing, practicing, and training, when he should be in rest/recovery mode after surgeries. I know Ryan and Heatley were in similar boats (I don't think Neal really was quite the same as the other three that way), but yeah. Thanks to not giving themselves proper recovery time, they dropped right off.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I disagree. When I think of little guys like St. Louis and Briere I think about guys who avoid contact so successfully that their bodies last longer.

I think St Louis is the only small guy I can think of who's wheels lasted into old age.

Dennis Savards wheels fell off some, Cliff Ronning and Theo Fleury's did so that especially in Fleury's case the clutching and grabbing and hooking skyrocketed. Imo larger players have more cheats where they can get away with the decline. Small players, its all they have is the exceptional speed in all facets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad