Value of: John Tavares to the habs

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Let's see how this looks for 2018-19, assuming Plekanec is not re-signed.

Pacioretty - Tavares - Drouin
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Byron - Danault - Shaw

That's a stellar top 9!

It is...but if he doesn't sign with Montreal, it gets horrid pretty quick.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk -Drouin
Lehkonen - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - McCarron - Shaw

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
would want at least a second line center, no interest from me.

I like phillip danault a lot. Isles would be deep down the middle with those two.

Could have a handshake agreement with JT to come back after the season. ;)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I will tell you why you are wrong.

Only teams knowing JT would resign with would be keen on giving better pieces than this.

So give me the 2-3 teams JT would be interested in signing with and i'll prove you you are wrong.

For example, As of now, i heard Nashville, TBay, Mtl and NJ as possible destinations for JT

Nashville : Forsberg is better and Arvidsson is debatable. Forsberg is probably untoucheable and wouldn't make sense for Nashville to give for Tavares as they already got a no.1 center in Johansen. So it leaves Arvidsson.

Tbay: Stamkos and Kucherov are better than Galchenyuk and Palat is debatable (while completely different kind of player). Do you think Stamkos would go for Tavares?? I don't think it would make sense. Kucherov?? Kucherov is a top 5 forward in the league right now and his salary is simply stupidly great. It leaves Palat.

Mtl : Galchenyuk

NJ : Hall is better. and that's it. Would he be made disponible?? i don't know but probably yes. But for me, it doesn't make sense that JT leaves NYI for NJ but it is just me.

Other teams in the league have obviously better wingers than Galchenyuk but would they give them knowing JT wouldn't resign with the team?? You can forget about it.

I think the original premise of 'better wingers' is a bit flawed. NYI center depth without Tavares would be abysmal, so the return should include a center (i know the poster you quoted said winger, but the original islanders poster said the return needed a center, it then devolved to how Galchenyuk isnt a center).

I could see Tampa moving Tyler Johnson in a package for Tavares pretty easily. I dont know how the cap works, but i think theyd do it.

NJ is at a weird spot - I dont think theyre too far away, but i dont know that theyre willing to expedite the rebuild (or that NYI want to enter one) and do Tavares for Zacha/Nico +

Montreal doesnt have a center to offer - unles Galchenyuk comes out this season and plays C and kills it. In which case - Montreal has less of an incentive to go after Tavares anyway.

Nashville would probably be a nice destination (Tavares/RyJo would be very nice C depth), but unless its a package built solely on futures, i don't see it working.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Other teams would outbid that easily...

Except Tavares has a NMC and is one year away from being UFA if he does not sign an extension. Islanders don't choose where Tavares plays if its not with the Islanders.

This won't be a hockey trade for impact players (if he is traded). This will be likely a sign and trade and the team acquiring Tavares is of his choice and the Islanders are forced to negotiate or he walks and they get nothing. Think Shattenkirk ;)

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
assuming he hits FA ( 50-50 )
assuming he wants to play in Canada let alone Montreal with the tax implications ( less then 50% in my opinion )
Would Montreal then be ok with having 30 M invested in 3 players. Because if he signs in Montreal it will be for 7 years at over 10 M in my opinion.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
assuming he wants to play in Canada let alone Montreal with the tax implications ( less then 50% in my opinion )
Would Montreal then be ok with having 30 M invested in 3 players. Because if he signs in Montreal it will be for 7 years at over 10 M in my opinion.

Tax issue is overstated for a player of his calibre. He'd have any endorsement he wants.

And yes, the Habs are easily comfortable giving JT that kind of money. They've only been looking for a player of his calibre for 20 years.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Galchenyuk can play center just fine he was amongst the league leader in points before getting injured, as a centreman

But if you insist:

Danault + Galchenyuk + Juulsen + 1st

Or

McCarron + Galchenyuk + Lindgren + 1st

Dont know your organisation nées between The pipe but I'd rather give Lindgren than Juulsen

The Isles have arguably 2 of the top 3 goalie prospects in the NHL (Soderstrom and Sorokin).

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I will tell you why you are wrong.

Only teams knowing JT would resign with would be keen on giving better pieces than this.

So give me the 2-3 teams JT would be interested in signing with and i'll prove you you are wrong.

For example, As of now, i heard Nashville, TBay, Mtl and NJ as possible destinations for JT

Nashville : Forsberg is better and Arvidsson is debatable. Forsberg is probably untoucheable and wouldn't make sense for Nashville to give for Tavares as they already got a no.1 center in Johansen. So it leaves Arvidsson.

Tbay: Stamkos and Kucherov are better than Galchenyuk and Palat is debatable (while completely different kind of player). Do you think Stamkos would go for Tavares?? I don't think it would make sense. Kucherov?? Kucherov is a top 5 forward in the league right now and his salary is simply stupidly great. It leaves Palat.

Mtl : Galchenyuk

NJ : Hall is better. and that's it. Would he be made disponible?? i don't know but probably yes. But for me, it doesn't make sense that JT leaves NYI for NJ but it is just me.

Other teams in the league have obviously better wingers than Galchenyuk but would they give them knowing JT wouldn't resign with the team?? You can forget about it.
But he is going to only want to sign in MTL????This is what you havent thought about .Every team in the league that doesnt have a number 1 will call.And will make an offer.In a likey bidding war MTL doesnt have enough parts without completely gutting their team to last long :nod:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Link please?

You shouldn't need a link. Islanders are on record as saying they will offer Tavares whatever contract that is required to re-sign him and Tavares has not re-signed yet. Money does not appear to be the issue here but maybe it is? Hard to say but it appears Tavares wants to win and he wants to see the Islanders get better as a team before he commits.

What do you believe?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Tax issue is overstated for a player of his calibre. He'd have any endorsement he wants.

And yes, the Habs are easily comfortable giving JT that kind of money. They've only been looking for a player of his calibre for 20 years.

- Tax between certain cities is a huge difference. Endorsements are on top of whatever they player can make so basically you saying the player is responsible for going and getting larger endorsements to make up for the tax difference? I think you are overlooking this issue or not willing to realize it.

- Tax is also not about US vs Canada. There are many cities in the US that are very close to Canadian cities. However, the Canadian cities are typically higher than the average that is for sure. (BTW... difference between NY and Montreal on a $10M salary is $0.5M per year I believe)

- USD vs CAD is also an issue but most players don't spend all the money the make in one year in 12 months. It make a difference on big ticket items but those big ticket items are not bought every year.

- Last but not least, Tavares in Montreal at $10M +/- is not a huge problem. There will be maneuvering that has to be done but the space is there.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
You shouldn't need a link. Islanders are on record as saying they will offer Tavares whatever contract that is required to re-sign him and Tavares has not re-signed yet. Money does not appear to be the issue here but maybe it is? Hard to say but it appears Tavares wants to win and he wants to see the Islanders get better as a team before he commits.

What do you believe?

"i have proof tavares doesn't want to stay"
"you can't see my proof"

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010

What do you believe?

To my knowledge, Tavares never publicly addressed any issues with the organization, so yeah, would prefer to see a link, otherwise that is just wild speculation. There are so many factors to consider other than "Tavares hates the Islanders".

Are we already forgetting Stamkos waiting the full year and ultimately resigning with Tampa.

Speculating is one thing but completely making stuff up is another.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I don't see Tavares moving in a trade before the deadline (if at all). They'd rightfully want a huge sum for him in a trade now, and Montreal don't have the pieces.

As a UFA, Montreal would be able to provide both a solid offer and a decent group of forwards to work with. He'd have a great goalie behind him too. If he's willing to play in Canada, it is a compelling fit.

My expectation NYI back up the Brinks truck and give him whatever he wants. He's indicated he wants to stay. We'll see if that changes over the course of the season.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia

What do you believe?

No, both Tavares and Brisson have said that they are content with the current direction of the team but haven't wanted to start negotiations just yet. They did say they were watching the arena situation. So unless you have a link proving he is unhappy with the team, its incorrect.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
There's is no link. Tavares has never publicly stated he has any doubts or issues with the Isles. Anyone claiming so is just stirring the pot or fooling themselves.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
The Isles have arguably 2 of the top 3 goalie prospects in the NHL (Soderstrom and Sorokin).

You have been on this for awhile...I won't sit here in NYC and act like I know whether or not this is an accurate statement.

However, although I have seen both high in rankings, never have I seen them -1-2,2-3,1-3....I think this is just positive thinking, which I have no problem with.

Just don't go around spouting off that the Isle's have 2 of top 3 guys at the position.

Also, doesn't sound like Sorokin is very determined to come state-side anytime soon. Could be an issue.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, both Tavares and Brisson have said that they are content with the current direction of the team but haven't wanted to start negotiations just yet. They did say they were watching the arena situation. So unless you have a link proving he is unhappy with the team, its incorrect.

Didn't say Tavares was unhappy. I just was talking about the reasons why he has not re-signed yet. Seems like its dragging on and this usually is a sign it's about money. However, in this case money doesn't appear to be the issue. So? ... Arena is the issue? Islanders chance at winning a Cup?

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Didn't say Tavares was unhappy. I just was talking about the reasons why he has not re-signed yet. Seems like its dragging on and this usually is a sign it's about money. However, in this case money doesn't appear to be the issue. So? ... Arena is the issue? Islanders chance at winning a Cup?

what you said was you read that tavares wasn't happy with the islanders.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think the reason Marc is not offering Markov 2 years because he is going to be going after Tavares. They have 9 million cap space and Plekanec 6 million is coming off the books. That will give them 15 million to sign him.

Do you think that what the habs are trying to do?

They have the core locked up now.

Why would JT sign with Montreal?

Leafs and Hans fans really are delusional. They honestly believe that every Canadian born player will sign in free agency with their teams. When was the last time one of these superstars in their primes signed a free agent deal for either team?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
what you said was you read that tavares wasn't happy with the islanders.
This is a tough one...if he is happy, he should have already been signed...there seems to be something pointing towards, he seems to be holding back, why?

This will be a dog and pony show all season, until he makes a decision...right now, it seems actions, speak louder than words...

I would think he stays, and the odds would be 75% and leaving around 25%..........

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
This is a tough one...if he is happy, he should have already been signed...there seems to be something pointing towards, he seems to be holding back, why?

This will be a dog and pony show all season, until he makes a decision...right now, it seems actions, speak louder than words...

I would think he stays, and the odds would be 75% and leaving around 25%..........

Exactly all this.

The situation was exactly the same with Price. But he signed right away to terms he obviously wanted.

So clearly, JT is waiting for something.

And yes, at the end, the odds are he is staying in NYI. Because yes he was drafted there, he is living there and all but also, if he has 2 or 3 cities he is interested in, these teams needs to find a fit and it's probably more complicated than everyone think.

Gaud

May 11, 2017

I have seen several articles saying that it was the arena.....
but the "sources" they refer to dont even talk about Tavares (that is a ridiculous arena though.. you cant see the net if you are sitting on one of the ends. )

Personally , i think they are just speculating on those kinds of things. Personally, I think Snow and the Isles management are a joke. I wonder if JT didn't ask for proof that the team is going somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad