Value of: John Tavares to the habs

mhstudios

May 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I think the reason Marc is not offering Markov 2 years because he is going to be going after Tavares. They have 9 million cap space and Plekanec 6 million is coming off the books. That will give them 15 million to sign him.

Do you think that what the habs are trying to do?

They have the core locked up now.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
do you guys think we're joking in every single thread started involving tavares when we say we're not moving him?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't get why Hab fans think we'd be able to offer more for Tavares than any other team in the first place?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I think the reason Marc is not offering Markov 2 years because he is going to be going after Tavares. They have 9 million cap space and Plekanec 6 million is coming off the books. That will give them 15 million to sign him.

Do you think that what the habs are trying to do?

They have the core locked up now.

someones forgetting carey's raise.

not like we woulnt be able to lock up him anyway but carey is getting a 4.5M$ raise.

And tbh no i dont think Bergevin is keeping a bunch of cap space to get JT NEXT year, that would be basicly giving up on the season just to have a chance to offer JT money...

What i realy think is Bergevin is being patient to see whats going on with draisaitl and once he's signed he will try and make a deal and get RNH for fairly a decent price. Oilers will be handcuffed to trade RNH next season and they might trade him this season if the deal is decently good enough.

Last edited:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Still 11 mil, Also if tavares decides to leave islanders he will decide where he goes either by trade or Free agency

i mean tavares has a 8 team NTC, so its kinda wrong to say he decides to where he gets traded, but of course he decides where he goes as a FA, my guess is, he signs with the islanders like every franchise player does.

Btw: Montreal are not in a good situation to give tavares 11M and im pretty sure some other team does.

Tavares isnt going to take a discount because we have Weber and Price, this Team canada thing is so overrated

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
do you guys think we're joking in every single thread started involving tavares when we say we're not moving him?

This isn't so much about the Islanders moving him...this is about Tavares moving his ass out of New York and quickly

I doubt the habs get him, but I bet we see him in a new jersey next year.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
i mean tavares has a 8 team NTC, so its kinda wrong to say he decides to where he gets traded, but of course he decides where he goes as a FA, my guess is, he signs with the islanders like every franchise player does.

Btw: Montreal are not in a good situation to give tavares 11M and im pretty sure some other team does.

Tavares isnt going to take a discount because we have Weber and Price, this Team canada thing is so overrated

I agree on the 11 mil just stating the cap we have. Also if tavares doesnt agree to an exrension he is worth substantially less so he does control where he goes to some degree.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I understand NYI fans not wanting to trade JT. I wouldn't either but let's be honest here, he publicy said he has some doubts and to what I understand, they haven't been addressed yet.

If you're Garth Snow, you have to try everything to get JT to sign that 8 years deal but he doesn't, what do you do?

You keep him and take the risk that he walks for nothing at the end of the season? You trade him?

At this point it's hard to put value on JT price (if he's available). He's a franchise player with one year left on his deal. No team in their right mind would sell the farm or offer the moon because of the uncertainty of his contract situation.

That's where a team like Montreal comes into play. They have the cap space, the assets and willingness to make a trade to acquire JT. I believe an unsigned JT is worth Galchenyuk, a 1st round pick and a decent prospect (McCarron, Scherbak, Juulsen, Hudon). I firmly believe if Snow has his back against the wall and is 100% sure Jt isn't resigning, he makes that trade.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011

This is a horrible line of thinking. If management can't secure a long term extension they have to move him. I get the Islanders have a decent prospect pipeline but losing a franchise player for nothing will kill the morale on and off the ice. Just see the Devils and Parise. I get it...you don't replace a John Tavares, you just don't.....but you can't risk losing him for nothing. Imagine an injury in Feb and you can't trade him at the deadline?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

please clarify how were not in a good position. even with prices raise and tavares at 11 we,d be below the cap next year

wildandwoolly

Scrappy Salad
Jul 3, 2012
Catskills
Tavares is gonna walk in free agency, and go to chill with his uncle in Buffalo.

John Tavares runs lacrosse in Buffalo, and John Tavares wants to run hockey there. Together they'll operate one of the biggest organized crime families in the state of NY. And by organized crime, I really mean "scoring" "goals", if ya know what I mean.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
If the habs or any other team trading for him are not able to negotiate a contract with him because he is intent on going to ufa, then he is not in anyway worth Galchenyuk.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I agree on the 11 mil just stating the cap we have. Also if tavares doesnt agree to an exrension he is worth substantially less so he does control where he goes to some degree.

I kinda disagree... a Real contender will give a **** ton of future for Taraves if they dont make the playoffs, he's realy easy to fit on cap space. think about it, if you're already a big contender and on that of that you add JT... you can pretty much call it Good game. i realy cant think of a good player like that in his prime at the deadline trade for a playoff run...

for example, i dont know what they would have to give but think about future only, you add an healthy johanson + Tavares in last years final. we have a different cup winner.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
please clarify how were not in a good position. even with prices raise and tavares at 11 we,d be below the cap next year

you have to think long term. if you sign tavares you have a 1 year cup widow. you lose pacioretty the year after, you have probleme signing chucky 2 years after + that is while being mediocre. we have too much long term contract to either old player or players who aren't worth them.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I understand NYI fans not wanting to trade JT. I wouldn't either but let's be honest here, he publicy said he has some doubts and to what I understand, they haven't been addressed yet.

If you're Garth Snow, you have to try everything to get JT to sign that 8 years deal but he doesn't, what do you do?

You keep him and take the risk that he walks for nothing at the end of the season? You trade him?

At this point it's hard to put value on JT price (if he's available). He's a franchise player with one year left on his deal. No team in their right mind would sell the farm or offer the moon because of the uncertainty of his contract situation.

That's where a team like Montreal comes into play. They have the cap space, the assets and willingness to make a trade to acquire JT. I believe an unsigned JT is worth Galchenyuk, a 1st round pick and a decent prospect (McCarron, Scherbak, Juulsen, Hudon). I firmly believe if Snow has his back against the wall and is 100% sure Jt isn't resigning, he makes that trade.

he sure does. even that trade would allow for more acquisitions this year as there is only a little over a half a million in the difference between jts salary and galchenyuks. we could afford 10.5 for jt for 8 years no problem. bergevin is smart to move on from markov if he wont take 1 yr. people dont realize now how important cap space is but in another 3-4 years they will grasp it a bit more.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I kinda disagree... a Real contender will give a **** ton of future for Taraves if they dont make the playoffs, he's realy easy to fit on cap space. think about it, if you're already a big contender and on that of that you add JT... you can pretty much call it Good game. i realy cant think of a good player like that in his prime at the deadline trade for a playoff run...

for example, i dont know what they would have to give but think about future only, you add an healthy johanson + Tavares in last years final. we have a different cup winner.

i know its tough but real contenders dont really have 11 million in space.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
he sure does. even that trade would allow for more acquisitions this year as there is only a little over a half a million in the difference between jts salary and galchenyuks. we could afford 10.5 for jt for 8 years no problem. bergevin is smart to move on from markov if he wont take 1 yr. people dont realize now how important cap space is but in another 3-4 years they will grasp it a bit more.

With Galchenyuk's 4.9 and Plekanec's 6M off the book and their current cap space, they can definitely afford Price & Pacioretty's raise + Tavares at 10.5

That's not even a problem.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
you have to think long term. if you sign tavares you have a 1 year cup widow. you lose pacioretty the year after, you have probleme signing chucky 2 years after + that is while being mediocre. we have too much long term contract to either old player or players who aren't worth them.

not if your managing your cap well. we have a gm who is really making the cap work and he gets nothing but bs on these boards. your giving pacioretty a raise not a whole new amount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad