Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Are there seriously people thinking JT would return an early 1st round pick with his NTC? At best he might return a mid 1st and a late first(not counting any other possible trade pieces required to land him), and not likely in the same draft year.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Call it what you want.

He wants the process to play out == he wants to experience free agency
Just like Stamkos did, I expect JT will get a taste of what is out there and decide. I think 50-50 he stays.

Everyone keeps saying he is waiting on the arena like that will clinch it. I disagree.

Again, incorrect.

Stamkos signed the day before Free Agency "legal tampering" started---hence Garth Snow was going to offer him a big deal, put his eggs in one basket and did nothing last year.

Stamkos was always going to sign. He wanted to see what Steve Yzerman's plans for the team were.

Stamkos also was non-committal all season. Tavares again has said over 100 times (all examples on lighthouse hockey) that he wants to finish his career here.

The fact that people on here believe Tavares wants to leave despite the fact that he constantly says he doesn't want to is certifiable. Why does he need to sign? He has been nothing but a team first player. Let him sort it out. Figure out where he is buying a home. If he wants to build a family here.

Tavares hates spotlight. Whatever team he leaves for, he will have a massive spotlight on him.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Why not?

If Belmont gets announced in January and he still can't make up his mind by the trade deadline, I'm moving him.

New arena + new coach he supposedly loves + pretty good team . . . what else would he be waiting for? See how we do down the stretch and hopefully in the playoffs?

Not fair to hold the franchise hostage IF Belmont gets approved and he STILL can't make up his mind.

Good thing you have 0 to do with the team. So the guy has legit taken a below market contract the last 5 years, but you will dump him, because he wants to take his time.

Here is a fun fact. Belmont will be awarded within 30 days. Congrats. According to you, we should have 30 days of Tavares left as an Islander

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Here is a fun fact. Belmont will be awarded within 30 days. Congrats. According to you, we should have 30 days of Tavares left as an Islander

Your comment makes no sense. If the Belmont decision comes within thirty days, then Tavares should be able to make his decision based on that information. If the Belmont decision comes within 30 days and JT has still not made up his mind by the trade deadline, Snow absolutely needs to move him.

Reactions: Dipietro39

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Your comment makes no sense. If the Belmont decision comes within thirty days, then Tavares should be able to make his decision based on that information. If the Belmont decision comes within 30 days and JT has still not made up his mind by the trade deadline, Snow absolutely needs to move him.

Makes no sense???

So what you are saying, if in 30 days, Belmont is awarded, and at the deadline the Isles are top of the metro.....

And Tavares says he will make his decision in May.......

You now trade him for pennies on the dollar?

Will go down as one of the dumbest moves in all of sports.

This may be why I need to take a break from here. Mind numbing absurdity

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Makes no sense???

So what you are saying, if in 30 days, Belmont is awarded, and at the deadline the Isles are top of the metro.....

It wouldn't be pennies on the dollar- especially if it is a trade and sign.

Please take a break; I don't want you to be stressed.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Makes no sense???

What do you expect? We had a thread here 5 games into the season advocating trading JT because he was too old, slow, disinterested and didn't celebrate "hard enough."

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Does any remember the "faces on John Tavares" thread? It had photoshopped pictures of John with different names like "Juan Tavarez" with a sombrero and handle bar mustache and "Capt. John Tavaarrres"dressed up as a pirate.

It's definitely an old one but I thought it was hysterical. Does it still exist on here?

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
It wouldn't be pennies on the dollar- especially if it is a trade and sign.

Please take a break; I don't want you to be stressed.

A sign and trade at the trade deadline?????????????????

With possibly the best team we have had in 20 years?

Jesus christ.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Does any remember the "faces on John Tavares" thread? It had photoshopped pictures of John with different names like "Juan Tavarez" with a sombrero and handle bar mustache and "Capt. John Tavaarrres"dressed up as a pirate.

It's definitely an old one but I thought it was hysterical. Does it still exist on here?

I've never seen it, but I'd love to.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
We are good enough to win a Cup this year with a couple extra pieces. I'd rather go all in than trade our best player because he might not come back.

**** the future. Let's win something.

And that's where my opinion differs from most people on this board. I think this team would be lucky to make it past the 2nd round with what they are putting out there right now. You think this team adds everything they need before the deadline? A 3rd line center who is good at the pk/faceoffs, a mid pairing defenseman (or two), and possibly a goalie. I think the chances are slim unless Garth starts making moves now.

I'd love to see this team win, but going all in this year is a mistake. If Tavares was a free agent next year, then I would be more apt to.

I wait as long as he wants. If you trade him, he's not coming back. Duchene got a lot of pieces, but not the value they wanted. Tavares wouldn't bring back a ton I don't think because he'd be a rental. When was the last time a Tavares player was used as a rental and how much did they bring back? We're not getting another Barzal for Tavares now. It's too late.

Whatever we get likely won't be worth enough for me to want the team to trade Tavares. I think you're overvaluing what he'll return. I'm not saying that as a fact, just my opinion and why I don't want to trade him. If you think that's what he'd return, I understand why you'd want to trade him.

Those saying he should be traded also need to remember that Tavares does have a limited NTC, so 8 teams are immediately off the table if he wants them to be.

I think some team who has a crack at the cup this year, would stupidly, gigantically overpay for him with the chances of thinking he'll re-sign with them.

A win away from first place, but let's trade our best player so that we can prepare for THE FUTURE! :banghead:

And a 2-3 game losing streak from being out of a wild card spot. It goes both ways.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
And that's where my opinion differs from most people on this board. I think this team would be lucky to make it past the 2nd round with what they are putting out there right now. You think this team adds everything they need before the deadline? A 3rd line center who is good at the pk/faceoffs, a mid pairing defenseman (or two), and possibly a goalie. I think the chances are slim unless Garth starts making moves now.

I'd love to see this team win, but going all in this year is a mistake. If Tavares was a free agent next year, then I would be more apt to.

I think some team who has a crack at the cup this year, would stupidly, gigantically overpay for him with the chances of thinking he'll re-sign with them.

What are the Kings, Jets, Blue Jackets, Nashville etc giving up off their team for Tavares....when they are making a run?

A late 1st? Great!

Mid level AHL prospects? Fantastic

Mid level NHL talent. Awesome.

Yes lets trade

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I’m 80% sure he’s doing this to put a burr in the saddle of ownership/management to get them to fix this team and it’s playing situation as best as possible.
20% he’s leaving.

That’s me, today.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
What are the Kings, Jets, Blue Jackets, Nashville etc giving up off their team for Tavares....when they are making a run?

A late 1st? Great!

Mid level AHL prospects? Fantastic

Mid level NHL talent. Awesome.

Yes lets trade

No, I'm thinking about Carolina, San Jose, Dallas, Vancouver, even Vegas etc. Bubble teams that think they have a shot.

I think some of you are getting a little too worked up over this.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Anyone remember the episode of Its Always Sunny, where they are selling oxy at the Country Club to get back the 25k for the mob? Mac and Dee are in the lounge and Mac says loudly he is investing in laser beams? Dee just sarcastically says "Wow laser beams!"

That's all I keep playing in my head hearing about premium returns for Tavares, sign and trades, etc.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
No, I'm thinking about Carolina, San Jose, Dallas, Vancouver, even Vegas etc. Bubble teams that think they have a shot.

I think some of you are getting a little too worked up over this.

So Carolina has a better shot than the Isles? Dallas?

No one is worked up. Its actually sad to see "islander fans" worrying about the future and trading your star. The furture is here right now. If Halak gets going this team is really good.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
A sign and trade at the trade deadline?????????????????

With possibly the best team we have had in 20 years?

Jesus christ.
This team is not even close to winning the cup this year. And, if you don't get anything back for him, the team will not be good again for another several years.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
This team is not even close to winning the cup this year. And, if you don't get anything back for him, the team will not be good again for another several years.

Thanks kreskin. Not really sure who is heads and shoulders above them in the east. That being said, not really sure who is better in the west. To pile on, the Isles have dominated the west.

I understand beaten dog syndrome. Kicked so many times, cant ever see light at the end of the tunnel.

Sit back and watch and stop worrying about what you wish you had. This team has some deficiencies , but is actually pretty good. Every team has holes this year. No one expected Nashville to make that run. Washington crumbles. Columbus crumbles. Pitt looks a bit lost.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Thanks kreskin. Not really sure who is heads and shoulders above them in the east. That being said, not really sure who is better in the west. To pile on, the Isles have dominated the west.

I understand beaten dog syndrome. Kicked so many times, cant ever see light at the end of the tunnel.

Sit back and watch and stop worrying about what you wish you had. This team has some deficiencies , but is actually pretty good. Every team has holes this year. No one expected Nashville to make that run. Washington crumbles. Columbus crumbles. Pitt looks a bit lost.

Exactly. By no means do I think that this team is a shoe-in to win it all, but how can you not like their chances at the 1/3rd mark of the season. If they can stay healthy and maybe even plug some holes, we've got something to be excited about.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Hypothetically speaking, even if we don't win the cup this year, I'd rather make it to the EC finals with JT, than miss out on the playoffs altogether and trade JT for a mid 1st and a prospect.

Reactions: Strummergas

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The assets gained by trading Tavares would not prevent the team from being bad for the next several years.

Reactions: Strummergas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad