Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Because JT is taking an unconventional path to his future playing destination,

That is what kills me the most.... it's NOT unconventional at all to wait until your current contract is up to re-sign.

Where's all this crap about Tavares' fiance wanting out of New York coming from?

Is there a hint of substantial anything to this rumor, or it is just literally just "member when Pronger's wife wanted out of Edmonton OH I MEMBER"?

Mass hysteria run amok

Why not?

If Belmont gets announced in January and he still can't make up his mind by the trade deadline, I'm moving him.

New arena + new coach he supposedly loves + pretty good team . . . what else would he be waiting for? See how we do down the stretch and hopefully in the playoffs?

Not fair to hold the franchise hostage IF Belmont gets approved and he STILL can't make up his mind.

I've got bad news for you, he's not going to re-sign until he has to, regardless of any arena news good or bad.

Absolutely. Letting a player like Tavares walk for nothing sets this team back several years.

You lose the captain, #1 center, leading scorer, and locker room leader for nothing.

Trading Tavares sets this team back several years. And in the middle of a serious run? It adds to the idea that the team is incompetent.

The only way the Islanders consider trading JT is if he directly tells them he is not re-signing. If he's willing to negotiate you do that. Right up until the last minute.

Exactly this. You do not trade Tavares unless he tells you he has no intention of signing.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Someone please compile a list of NY athletes that left and cited the area as a reason, or because their wives didn't want to live here.

AFAIK:
John Olerud (he lived in Seattle and his wife was from there)
Mike Hampton (was a gigantic douche)

Reactions: stranger34

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I dunno, I mostly hear this reasoning from Habs fans giving reasons why the Islanders need to trade Tavares right now for Gallagher+2nd.

If Tavares walks, we have like $12M in dead cap to spend elsewhere. As we've seen from Eberle, teams are looking to shed salary to re-sign Kris Russell all the damn time. As long as Ledecky doesn't tear off a mask to reveal Wang underneath, that money will be spent, almost certainly on a top-6 center.

Is it a good scenario? Absolutely not. Will it set back the team several years? Will it set back the team to the point we're hanging out with Arizona & Buffalo at the bottom of the standings? I really don't think so.

If Tavares walks, we trade Nelson for McDavid. Salary retained, of course.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
"Greg Wyshynski of ESPN: Looking at some potential landing spots for John Tavares if he hits the open market, including remaining with the Islanders.

New York Islanders – He wants to lead this organization back to the Cup. Arena issues remain a concern.
Tampa Bay Lightning – Tavares is a good friend of Steven Stamkos, and it’s another low-key market. The Lightning may have to trade the contracts of Ryan Callahan and Tyler Johnson. The issue may be having too many big contracts, and Nikita Kucherovneeding a new deal in 2019.
Toronto Maple Leafs – Tavares is from the area. Some speculation that he could do a big, short-term deal before Auston Matthews is due for a huge raise in 2019. Tavares may not want the spotlight of Toronto, and/or the Maple Leafs may be more interested in a high-end defenseman like Drew Doughty.
Montreal Canadiens – They have a huge hole at center and could be getting desperate. Would have no issues moving out salary to be able to sign Tavares. Montreal is another market that would have a huge spotlight for Tavares, something he may not want.
Detroit Red Wings – Would be the face of the franchise, is friends with Frans Nielsenand they have a new arena in place. The Red Wings have some young pieces, but not really close to being a Cup contender. The Wings also have salary cap issues.
San Jose Sharks – A dark horse team on Tavares. Tavares could replace Joe Thornton if he/they decide to move on. Signing Tavares would make them top heavy with regards to salaries as they already have Brent Burns at $8 million and Marc-Edouard Vlasic at $7 million. Joe Pavelski and Logan Couture are currently at $6 million and will need new contracts in 2019.
New York Rangers – Rangers are in a win-now mode, could be set with Tavares, Mika Zibanejad, and Filip Chytil down the middle, and Tavares would be able to continue living in New York. Would be in the spotlight again, and moving to a rival New York team.
Vancouver Canucks – Have the cap space to add Tavares and have some young talent to surround him. The Canucks may not be enough of a contender for Tavares, and it would be a long way from home."

If these are JT's best options, he'll stay with the Isles...

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Where's all this crap about Tavares' fiance wanting out of New York coming from?

Is there a hint of substantial anything to this rumor, or it is just literally just "member when Pronger's wife wanted out of Edmonton OH I MEMBER"?

Nope, just speculation like 99% of this thread. Just some people think their speculation is better than others' speculation, because, well it's theirs.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Again, incorrect.

Stamkos signed the day before Free Agency "legal tampering" started---hence Garth Snow was going to offer him a big deal, put his eggs in one basket and did nothing last year.

Stamkos was always going to sign. He wanted to see what Steve Yzerman's plans for the team were.

Stamkos also was non-committal all season. Tavares again has said over 100 times (all examples on lighthouse hockey) that he wants to finish his career here.

The fact that people on here believe Tavares wants to leave despite the fact that he constantly says he doesn't want to is certifiable. Why does he need to sign? He has been nothing but a team first player. Let him sort it out. Figure out where he is buying a home. If he wants to build a family here.

Tavares hates spotlight. Whatever team he leaves for, he will have a massive spotlight on him.

Hmm, I must have missed the press conference where he stated that. Could you provide the links to remind me?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
What are the Kings, Jets, Blue Jackets, Nashville etc giving up off their team for Tavares....when they are making a run?

A late 1st? Great!

Mid level AHL prospects? Fantastic

Mid level NHL talent. Awesome.

Yes lets trade

Well one CBJ fan offered this on the main board

Wennberg, Savard, Milano, 1st, and 3rd/Goalie not named Bob (added this because you mentioned goalie help)

Not saying that a poster and the GM are the same. All I'm saying is that package for an unsigned Tavares (while nowhere near Tavares' actual value) wouldn't be a bad haul if he stated he was going to test free agency no matter what ala Vanek. Doubt he will do that, just my point being you are severely under estimating the haul Tavares' would get from a Stanley Cup contender. It would be a rebuilding haul, but a haul nontheless. Again, not necessarily advocating doing this, but I think you should be less antagonistic to those who would because they have a valid point about getting a good package.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Well one CBJ fan offered this on the main board

Not saying that a poster and the GM are the same. All I'm saying is that package for an unsigned Tavares (while nowhere near Tavares' actual value) wouldn't be a bad haul if he stated he was going to test free agency no matter what ala Vanek. Doubt he will do that, just my point being you are severely under estimating the haul Tavares' would get from a Stanley Cup contender. It would be a rebuilding haul, but a haul nontheless. Again, not necessarily advocating doing this, but I think you should be less antagonistic to those who would because they have a valid point about getting a good package.

When is the last time a team traded a 27 year old franchise player, to a division rival?

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Hmm, I must have missed the press conference where he stated that. Could you provide the links to remind me?

Google is this interesting new website

Stamkos maintains he wants to stay in Tampa
Stamkos says 'I hope to be back' with Lightning
Stamkos: I want to stay with Lightning
Steven Stamkos chooses to re-sign with Tampa Bay Lightning - Sportsnet.ca

Let me know if you need some more. While he didn't have a press conference stating that he wants to stay, all of those links contain separate videos of him stating he wants to stay in Tampa.

Reactions: periferal

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Let me know if you need some more. While he didn't have a press conference stating that he wants to stay, all of those links contain separate videos of him stating he wants to stay in Tampa.

So basically you took the same candid remarks that EVERY SINGLE UFA says at face value, and then claim you knew all along because he actually did resign? Did you also know all along that Ryan Callahan wasn't going to re-up with the Rangers, even though he stated that was his intention? You are quite the soothsayer.

Perhaps you should show less conviction in the tone of your writing before you get burned.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
"Greg Wyshynski of ESPN: Looking at some potential landing spots for John Tavares if he hits the open market, including remaining with the Islanders.

New York Islanders – He wants to lead this organization back to the Cup. Arena issues remain a concern.
Tampa Bay Lightning – Tavares is a good friend of Steven Stamkos, and it’s another low-key market. The Lightning may have to trade the contracts of Ryan Callahan and Tyler Johnson. The issue may be having too many big contracts, and Nikita Kucherovneeding a new deal in 2019.
Toronto Maple Leafs – Tavares is from the area. Some speculation that he could do a big, short-term deal before Auston Matthews is due for a huge raise in 2019. Tavares may not want the spotlight of Toronto, and/or the Maple Leafs may be more interested in a high-end defenseman like Drew Doughty.
Montreal Canadiens – They have a huge hole at center and could be getting desperate. Would have no issues moving out salary to be able to sign Tavares. Montreal is another market that would have a huge spotlight for Tavares, something he may not want.
Detroit Red Wings – Would be the face of the franchise, is friends with Frans Nielsenand they have a new arena in place. The Red Wings have some young pieces, but not really close to being a Cup contender. The Wings also have salary cap issues.
San Jose Sharks – A dark horse team on Tavares. Tavares could replace Joe Thornton if he/they decide to move on. Signing Tavares would make them top heavy with regards to salaries as they already have Brent Burns at $8 million and Marc-Edouard Vlasic at $7 million. Joe Pavelski and Logan Couture are currently at $6 million and will need new contracts in 2019.
New York Rangers – Rangers are in a win-now mode, could be set with Tavares, Mika Zibanejad, and Filip Chytil down the middle, and Tavares would be able to continue living in New York. Would be in the spotlight again, and moving to a rival New York team.
Vancouver Canucks – Have the cap space to add Tavares and have some young talent to surround him. The Canucks may not be enough of a contender for Tavares, and it would be a long way from home."

If these are JT's best options, he'll stay with the Isles...

Tavares is not heading to the Lightning. I hate it when people pull the "I know somebody..." crap, but from what I know they're not interested in him as of this moment.

When is the last time a team traded a 27 year old franchise player, to a division rival?

When's the last time a team fired a GM of a few months to replace them with the team's backup goaltender? This is the Islanders here, we've done much more far-fetched things than this.

Reactions: Bones45

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
So basically you took the same candid remarks that EVERY SINGLE UFA says at face value, and then claim you knew all along because he actually did resign? Did you also know all along that Ryan Callahan wasn't going to re-up with the Rangers, even though he stated that was his intention? You are quite the soothsayer.

Perhaps you should show less conviction in the tone of your writing before you get burned.

Burned?

Hahahaha great.

You asked for links where Stamkos said he wanted to stay.....you received several, all at different time periods.

Ryan Callahan was TRADED sweetie pie. After being hard headed for sticking to his MONEY demand, which Tavares hasn't even broached. To even compare the two situations shows that you literally had to dig to the depths to find someone who said they were staying and didn't---even though it wasn't his choice to leave. It was a money stalemate, not him forcing his way out. And kudos to the Rangers, who saw he wasn't worth the money and injuries were catching up to him.

Your argument is even more flawed as Callahan was forced to then accept almost $750k less per season and 0ne less year than he was offered by the Rangers. Callahan tried to call the Rangers bluff....and lost.

If you are sensing a tone from my previous, maybe suggesting a sign and trade (this is not basketball) or trading your franchise star to a division rival in the middle of a playoff race is border line psychotic

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

What is Stamkos supposed to say when asked if he wants to leave or not? "Yes...I can't wait to get out of Tampa"?

Honestly the Islanders aren't in the same situation Tampa was in when Stamkos re-signed. Tampa was (and still is) a cup threat, in a market where he wont be hounded everywhere he goes, low cost of living, great ownership/management/coaching staff, and a stable home arena. Tavares's situation is very different.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
What is Stamkos supposed to say when asked if he wants to leave or not? "Yes...I can't wait to get out of Tampa"?

Honestly the Islanders aren't in the same situation Tampa was in when Stamkos re-signed. Tampa was (and still is) a cup threat, in a market where he wont be hounded everywhere he goes, low cost of living, great ownership/management/coaching staff, and a stable home arena. Tavares's situation is very different.

How?

He may have a brand spanking new arena withing 2 years.

Not sure who hounds him. I saw him at Besito in roslyn 3 weeks ago, not one person went up to him.

Ledecky/Malkin are stable owners, field a cap ceiling team right now.

Doug Weight is 41-22-7--585 win % (Cooper is about .600)

The Islanders are not a cup threat this year? Nashville was last year at this time? Ottawa?

The cost of living thing gets old. When you are talking about people that makes $10 mill a year, I don't think Tavares will not be able to afford the same desires in life as he would in Tampa. Do you know what kind of car Tavares drives? A Raptor. Not sure he is the personality to buy 15 cars

The negativity on this thread is hillarious.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016

you think he is hounded wherever he goes? I am willing to bet Tavares is going to alot of places and he is unrecognized, who knows maybe a player like the hounding, in Canada I am sure he is not able to go anywhere and not get recognized

and as far as cup threat, before the emergence of Barzal I would say the Islanders had no chance of a cup in the near future, now I say it is a decent chance

. Do you know what kind of car Tavares drives? A Raptor. Not sure he is the personality to buy 15 cars

Pretty sure he also drives a BMW at the least

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
How?

He may have a brand spanking new arena withing 2 years.

Not sure who hounds him. I saw him at Besito in roslyn 3 weeks ago, not one person went up to him.

Ledecky/Malkin are stable owners, field a cap ceiling team right now.

Doug Weight is 41-22-7--585 win % (Cooper is about .600)

The Islanders are not a cup threat this year? Nashville was last year at this time? Ottawa?

The cost of living thing gets old. When you are talking about people that makes $10 mill a year, I don't think Tavares will not be able to afford the same desires in life as he would in Tampa. Do you know what kind of car Tavares drives? A Raptor. Not sure he is the personality to buy 15 cars

The negativity on this thread is hillarious.

You're right...we MIGHT have a new arena in 2 years...or we might be in Quebec/Seattle.

Weight has never been to the playoffs yet...Cooper has been the Stanley Cup Finals and Eastern Conference Finals (twice).

The Islanders haven't proven to be a cup threat (yet). They're 2 points from being out of the playoffs. They're clearly a good team this year...but it's VERY early to call them a legit threat to the cup.

We don't know Tavares's lifestyle...but we do know that it's (much) cheaper to live in Tampa than New York.

Everything I posted above are facts...if you have a problem with them, then your problem isn't with "negativity"...but rather, reality.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
you think he is hounded wherever he goes? I am willing to bet Tavares is going to alot of places and he is unrecognized, who knows maybe a player like the hounding, in Canada I am sure he is not able to go anywhere and not get recognized

and as far as cup threat, before the emergence of Barzal I would say the Islanders had no chance of a cup in the near future, now I say it is a decent chance

Pretty sure he also drives a BMW at the least

Adding a star offensive player to your roster doesn't automatically make you a contender or even close....if it did Edmonton would be a contender today after the past few years of McDavid...but instead they're sitting at the bottom.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Adding a star offensive player to your roster doesn't automatically make you a contender or even close....if it did Edmonton would be a contender today after the past few years of McDavid...but instead they're sitting at the bottom.

it certainly does if you already had a playoff bubble team, Oilers were a garbage team before McDavid, they are also in need of another strong piece to put them on another level

Reactions: Costigan77

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
You're right...we MIGHT have a new arena in 2 years...or we might be in Quebec/Seattle.

Weight has never been to the playoffs yet...Cooper has been the Stanley Cup Finals and Eastern Conference Finals (twice).

The Islanders haven't proven to be a cup threat (yet). They're 2 points from being out of the playoffs. They're clearly a good team this year...but it's VERY early to call them a legit threat to the cup.

We don't know Tavares's lifestyle...but we do know that it's (much) cheaper to live in Tampa than New York.

Everything I posted above are facts...if you have a problem with them, then your problem isn't with "negativity"...but rather, reality.

Understanding you are still sour with the Ho-sang conversation a few weeks ago, I'll ignore some of your blatant sensitivity.

Doug Weight has never coached a full season. Let's revisit that one later this year. Jon Cooper missed the playoffs in his first year, which he took over 13 games into a season, and then was bounced in round 1 in season 2--swept by the Canadiens----the lower seed. (Ouch!)

This team will not be in Seattle or Quebec, but rather sign a longer term, not so team friendly lease with the Barclays-if Belmont falls through. I am going to take Bettman, and both owners who explicitly has said they bought a New York franchise, to then look at other options in NY. But the tea leaves read that this team is closer to an arena than ever before.

If you have actually seen tavares interviews, in depth things into his family life, etc, he is actually a low key person, that seems to have been raised to me humble and driven. Have you met him? Not like when you want him to sign your picture or jersey, but ever met him? This summer I had the opportunity to golf with Tavares and clutterbuck 3 times. After I had golfed with them twice last year. I am sure I know him on more of a personal level than you do. I have sat at a bar with him and had a few drinks after our rounds. I believe two of the round we shared a cart, so talking with him for about 4 hours at a time, usually is enough to get a good barometer on a person. He seems genuine, comfortable, and a lot like what you see on tv.

That's great it's cheaper to live in Tampa. As someone that works in a field that looks at economic and demographic indicators, I can contend it is "cheaper" to live there. If your definition "quality of life" is having expensive things at less of a cost, congrats! A bit shallow. If your reference of "quality of life" refers to best place for your significant other to continue to work in the field she does, a place to start a family, and an area with fantastic schools where you can settle for the next 20 years, then I would say the north shore of Long Island is the place to be. (Please note the specifc area of Long Island, as the rest is starting to suck) Especially, since 11 of 12 months (He trains 1 month in Ontario) he lives on Long Island, garden city specifically.

If you are just stating Stamkos' decision was easier because of Tampa, fine. Tavares options are what? Toronto? Similar to living in Long island. Detroit? Oh wait, Stanley Cup contenders were one of your attributes. San Jose? LA? More expensive than NY. Higher Income tax rates, especially for millionares.

Finally--Webster dictionary definition of the work "Fact"
----a thing that is indisputably the case

Please stop labeling your strong opinions, as you did in the previous thread you went at me at Ho-sang thread, as fact. They are not. They are your hypotheses based on information you've been given, read, or chose to believe. Just as my opinions are not fact. However, mine are based on fact. Just because you throw some proverbial "boiler plate bull****" against the wall doesn't make it fact, or even correct. I've provided links. I've provided accurate information. You provide opinion and a woe-is-me the Islander fan response for every move or non move they make. Congrats. Seems like a swell person to be around.

Last edited:
Reactions: stranger34

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
I assume most of you have seen this before, but since I just discovered it, I'm sharing with those of you that haven't:

https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2017/9/16/16279650/islanders-john-tavares-free-agency-contract-encyclopedia-volume-2

(The opening Star Wars scroll is genius.)

Thank you for posting. I referenced it last week. I was met with responses of why would he say different, has anyone really heard this, and how about a 7 player swap with Columbus is Tavares agrees to a sign and trade. I actually feel sad for people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad