Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
And you are so confident about this why?
It was LeBrun on the panel with McKenzie and Dreger and LeBrun said that a sign and trade was something that may be in the works. So Tavares gets the 8th year, the acquiring team gets a lower AAV and the Isles get SOMETHING.

They didn't report it as fact

The most interesting part was LeBrun saying that Brisson and JT will lay out their plan before the draft (which if after the lottery in case anyone wants to speculate further)

"Their plan" - doesn't exactly sound like a signing of a contract

Insider Trading: Sign and trade possible for Tavares? - Article - TSN

Darren Dreger: John Tavares will meet with his agent Pat Brisson at the end of the season and they’ll begin to map out whatever that strategy might be and they’ll inform the New York Islanders of their intent well in advance of the June draft in Dallas so that general manager Garth Snow and management of the Islanders can make their necessary adjustments. But they’ve got to visit and revisit the criteria that will be established ultimately by Tavares. Is he willing to wait for the new building? This could be three-plus years. Does he see the pieces within the organization or is he getting a promise from the Islanders that there are pieces that are going to be brought in that are going to help this team win a Stanley Cup. So all of this will come into play before the draft in June.

Pierre LeBrun: If he does decide to leave the Islanders and he hasn’t made that decision yet, a sign and trade – we haven’t had one in the cap era, this would be exciting – is a possibility. I’m not saying it’s going to happen for sure but I can tell you this is why it would make sense under certain conditions: One, it would be about John Tavares wanting the eighth year on that contract, which he can only get by signing with the New York Islanders and then being flipped to another team. Kind of like what we had speculated on two years ago when Steven Stamkos was deciding whether or not to re-sign with Tampa Bay. Tampa and Newport (his agency) looked at that had he left Tampa Bay. Number two, if you’re the team acquiring him, the eighth year would lower the AAV and lower the cap hit on what you’re paying John Tavares. And obviously, for the Islanders the appeal is that you get something back for a guy that would be exiting. So again, there’s a lot of moving parts, it’s complicated, there’s a reason why we haven’t had one, but it’s certainly a possibility

Reactions: NewYorkIsles

Shimmy Cocopop

Oct 26, 2017
as I always maintained if Tavares is going to leave I am guessing it is the end of Snow as well, and I am guessing he is going to resign, why this idiotic Snow Must Go movement was dumb, Isles were still in a playoff position, and what happens if Tavares liked Snow?

So JT tabled because some fans wanted snow ito? If true, I couldn't be happier he's leaving. That would make a weak minded loser that was enabling this teams downfall.

Reactions: bronxirish

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
So JT tabled because some fans wanted snow ito? If true, I couldn't be happier he's leaving. That would make a weak minded loser that was enabling this teams downfall.
If JT's a "weak minded loser" then what does that say about the rest of the team? Seriously, enough of this garbage. WTF is wrong with you people? JT is the ONLY glimmer of hope this franchise has had the past decade (aside from 3/4 of a season from Barzal) and you crap all over him. He's an NHL superstar. The undisputed leader and best player on the team. Yet for some fans, he's not good enough for the Islanders and want to run him out of town.

Weak minded losers indeed.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
It was LeBrun on the panel with McKenzie and Dreger and LeBrun said that a sign and trade was something that may be in the works. So Tavares gets the 8th year, the acquiring team gets a lower AAV and the Isles get SOMETHING.

They didn't report it as fact

The most interesting part was LeBrun saying that Brisson and JT will lay out their plan before the draft (which if after the lottery in case anyone wants to speculate further)

"Their plan" - doesn't exactly sound like a signing of a contract

Insider Trading: Sign and trade possible for Tavares? - Article - TSN

Darren Dreger: John Tavares will meet with his agent Pat Brisson at the end of the season and they’ll begin to map out whatever that strategy might be and they’ll inform the New York Islanders of their intent well in advance of the June draft in Dallas so that general manager Garth Snow and management of the Islanders can make their necessary adjustments. But they’ve got to visit and revisit the criteria that will be established ultimately by Tavares. Is he willing to wait for the new building? This could be three-plus years. Does he see the pieces within the organization or is he getting a promise from the Islanders that there are pieces that are going to be brought in that are going to help this team win a Stanley Cup. So all of this will come into play before the draft in June.

Pierre LeBrun: If he does decide to leave the Islanders and he hasn’t made that decision yet, a sign and trade – we haven’t had one in the cap era, this would be exciting – is a possibility. I’m not saying it’s going to happen for sure but I can tell you this is why it would make sense under certain conditions: One, it would be about John Tavares wanting the eighth year on that contract, which he can only get by signing with the New York Islanders and then being flipped to another team. Kind of like what we had speculated on two years ago when Steven Stamkos was deciding whether or not to re-sign with Tampa Bay. Tampa and Newport (his agency) looked at that had he left Tampa Bay. Number two, if you’re the team acquiring him, the eighth year would lower the AAV and lower the cap hit on what you’re paying John Tavares. And obviously, for the Islanders the appeal is that you get something back for a guy that would be exiting. So again, there’s a lot of moving parts, it’s complicated, there’s a reason why we haven’t had one, but it’s certainly a possibility
All speculation. I don't see why JT would want his new team giving up assets for him when he can just sign for free on 7/1. Is the 8th year really that big of a deal?

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
If JT's a "weak minded loser" then what does that say about the rest of the team? Seriously, enough of this garbage. WTF is wrong with you people? JT is the ONLY glimmer of hope this franchise has had the past decade (aside from 3/4 of a season from Barzal) and you crap all over him. He's an NHL superstar. The undisputed leader and best player on the team. Yet for some fans, he's not good enough for the Islanders and want to run him out of town.

Weak minded losers indeed.

It's weird. All over the Internet you can see fans of other teams making crazy theories how Tavares can fit with their team, how much money they would give him... There's a lot of people who not only would welcome him with open arms but also rolled out the red carpet for him.

Just... not here. Not the people that should have his back because of the last 9 years.

I think it's because of Barzal. Because he's amazing, fast, talented and so, so fun to watch. It's like giving a 5 year old a shiny, new toy - they immediately forget about the old one, that went through some shit with them and for them.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
It's weird. All over the Internet you can see fans of other teams making crazy theories how Tavares can fit with their team, how much money they would give him... There's a lot of people who not only would welcome him with open arms but also rolled out the red carpet for him.

Just... not here. Not the people that should have his back because of the last 9 years.

I think it's because of Barzal. Because he's amazing, fast, talented and so, so fun to watch. It's like giving a 5 year old a shiny, new toy - they immediately forget about the old one, that went through some **** with them and for them.

I want JT to stay and am willing to offer him whatever he wants, UNLESS he demands that Snow / Weight stay. In that case, he can pack his bags with them.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I think it's because of Barzal. Because he's amazing, fast, talented and so, so fun to watch. It's like giving a 5 year old a shiny, new toy - they immediately forget about the old one, that went through some **** with them and for them.

That's a great metaphor -- truly.

Course if JT was playing his normal game, and then Barzal "arrives" and now we have two lines completely ripping up the league, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Maybe JT is sulking because he aint the "talk of the town" anymore ... butt - hurt -- like some other ex-posters used to label...

Theres a new sheriff in town, and his name is Barzal....

1*NmxRastzf_0NMVQU7TmFtA.png

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
If the Isles had a real coach, and not JT's friend, the team would be playing much better. Weight is a HUGE problem. His "system," in-game/season adjustments, the number of times we have been blown out.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

It's a minor portion of the fan base and a few trolls on this board.

But it's incredibly stupid to suggest that Barzal is better, younger, faster and we have no need for JT at his asking price. Are some fans so pathetic that they can't see what it takes to have a perennial playoff team and one that can challenge for a cup?!

Elite players AND depth AND a strong goalie AND GREAT defense.

So the Pens add Kessel to a lineup that already had Crosby and Malkin and Murray/Fleury and Letang. With holes on defense (Latang injured as well).

And some fans are looking to exile Tavares because he's in a slump.

Beyond stupid.

All speculation. I don't see why JT would want his new team giving up assets for him when he can just sign for free on 7/1. Is the 8th year really that big of a deal?

He would agree to a sign and trade for one reason - the 8th year. He can't get an 8th year unless he signs with the Islanders. Simple. It's not that JT wants the team to give up assets, it's not exactly going to be a big piece, likely a 2nd rounder and a Ty Wishart/Sebastian Collberg type (#goGARTHgo)

McKenzie/Lebrun aren't the speculation click-bait type at all (I think Dreger kinda is though) -- this is a where there's smoke there's fire. These guys have great relationships with the agents and are leaked information all the time. McKenzie specifically downplays any click-bait headlines and is always very subtle with his comments (and it wasn't him to reported the JT situation) but I wouldn't dismiss these guys as Fox News/FakeNews at all.

---
As fans, we shouldn't need speculation or any media outlet to see what's clear - is that the team sucks. They are also in a downward spiral, low point of the season, but the whole body of work for this group is what the standings read - a bottom 10 team.

If a player wants to win a cup, there's zero chance the Islanders are on a short-list of teams. ZERO. That's not speculation, simple fact.

Reactions: Instant

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
A sign and trade is a pipe dream. I don’t see it happening. If he’s gone he’s gone. The 8th year won’t make a huge difference imo And especially I don’t think he would want to gut his new team.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
If the Isles had a real coach, and not JT's friend, the team would be playing much better. Weight is a HUGE problem. His "system," in-game/season adjustments, the number of times we have been blown out.

I don't think Al Arbour and Scotty Bowman can get this team into the playoffs. No way.

Their defense is beyond awful.

I've never seen opposing teams race through the neutral zone at top speed, in-touched, as much as watching these Islanders. And the defensemen cannot move laterally at all, so they allow so much gap that players can free-wheel like in junior. It's absurd to watch.

I think Jason Bourne did a piece where he showed the Isles give up the most shots per game, high quality scoring chances per game, than any team going back to the 80s.

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013
as I always maintained if Tavares is going to leave I am guessing it is the end of Snow as well, and I am guessing he is going to resign, why this idiotic Snow Must Go movement was dumb, Isles were still in a playoff position, and what happens if Tavares liked Snow?
If Tavares likes Snow and won't resign without him being here I will personally drive him anywhere he wants to go!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
As someone who has suggested Snow is still here to re-sign Tavares, I find it very unlikely that Tavares is the one driving that train. It is Ledecky/Malkin who think Snow gives the team the best chance at re-signing Tavares. I cannot see Tavares demanding his buddies stay in place, because he didn't with any of the other ones that he was actually closer with.

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
Per Staple's article:

John Tavares had a quiet game, his ninth in the last 14 without a point. One NHL scout who has seen plenty of the Isles this season thought the captain looked like he was beaten down. Certainly carrying the burden of another lost season along with the pending contract decision could be taking its toll. He's 10-10-20 in the 31 games since New Year's.

If this latest failure causes Tavares to leave in free agency, that makes plenty of sense. But his responsibility to lead the Islanders has to weigh on his mind as well and it's hard to imagine Tavares feels he's done everything he could to lift this team up the past 31 games.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Per Staple's article:

Excellent point. And I agree 100% and I have felt the same way.

Hall Malkin Mackinnon are all stepping up have huge second halves of the seasons pushing their teams to playoff births.

I understand the defense is thin and the goaltending hasn’t been great but Tavares hasn’t done his part as the leader and franchise player in the 2nd half.

I still love him and want him to retire an islander but he has to look in the mirror and put the blame on himself as much as anything else.

Nosebleed40

May 2, 2013
The situation is becoming such a mess and continues to show the utter incompetence within this organization. Truly a pathetic job by the owners as they sit on their hands and remain silent.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I hope he is playing with an injury. Not because I want him to be hurt, but because it would explain his performance. Every player goes thru slumps during a season, but I've never seen him be such a non-factor. Not just in goal total since January 1st, but in overall play. He has been bad. Knocked off pucks and not winning battles, terrible D play. If I didn't already know he is a star, I'd compare him with Clutter but without the rough edge. This is alarming to me.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
That was an interesting discussion by the Canadian media but it is all speculation at this point. The Isles and Tavares camps are very tight with information. This leads people to speculate since there is never any news of consequence. The issue imo was never about money. JT will get paid. Tavares just needs to feel comfortable in the long term direction of the team. None of us know how he really feels about Snow. I don't even think L&M know that. They are putting their hope and faith in Garth and that Johnny believes in Garth. We will find out soon enough.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
That was an interesting discussion by the Canadian media but it is all speculation at this point. The Isles and Tavares camps are very tight with information. This leads people to speculate since there is never any news of consequence. The issue imo was never about money. JT will get paid. Tavares just needs to feel comfortable in the long term direction of the team. None of us know how he really feels about Snow. I don't even think L&M know that. They are putting their hope and faith in Garth and that Johnny believes in Garth. We will find out soon enough.

It seems that JT is close with Weight since he used to live with the family. But he can't possibly think that Weight is a good coach at this point. However, even if JT dislikes Snow, he must know that if Snow goes, Weight likely goes too. Therefore, it is hard to conclude what the heck JT is thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad