Kings News: John Stevens Promoted to Associate Coach; Coaching Staff All Retained

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
Anyone else think this implies that maybe Daryl Sutter only wants to coach another year or two and that Stevens is being set up to be the permanent replacement? I'm thinking from Steven's point of view that turning down opportunities to be the head coach to stay in a #2 position makes a lot more sense if you feel you'll get to stay where you are as the #1 in the not too distant future.

Pure speculation on my part.

Jun 30, 2006
That and the other situations around the league, aside from the Penguins, are a little iffy. Maybe you might want to include the Pens as well, they cleaned house after a second round appearance.

Stevens was HC for four games before hiring Sutter, and if I recall he handled the team extremely well during that time.

Ron*

I'd almost guarantee he's Sutter's replacement.

I'd drop the word "almost."

What I am wondering now (notwithstanding what he told Scott Oake), is if Daryl is going to hang them up now. What does he have left to prove? Two Cups in three seasons.

Maybe he will make a run at back-to-back, and either way he retires after the season ends. That's what I'm guessing.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I'd drop the word "almost."

What I am wondering now (notwithstanding what he told Scott Oake), is if Daryl is going to hang them up now. What does he have left to prove? Two Cups in three seasons.

Maybe he will make a run at back-to-back, and either way he retires after the season ends. That's what I'm guessing.

I always say almost because it covers my ass. Usually when I make definitive statements everyone questions it.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Anyone else think this implies that maybe Daryl Sutter only wants to coach another year or two and that Stevens is being set up to be the permanent replacement? I'm thinking from Steven's point of view that turning down opportunities to be the head coach to stay in a #2 position makes a lot more sense if you feel you'll get to stay where you are as the #1 in the not too distant future.

Pure speculation on my part.

My gut says he wants one more shot at the Cup defense and then he rides into the sunset. This will also give him a chance to say his goodbyes around the league. Then Stevens takes over (which I'm totally cool with).

Mitchnesses

Hunk of Monkey Love
Jun 7, 2004
Orange County, CA
My gut says he wants one more shot at the Cup defense and then he rides into the sunset. This will also give him a chance to say his goodbyes around the league. Then Stevens takes over (which I'm totally cool with).

MY gut says I ate too much for lunch. Anyone have Rolaids.

As far as Sutter goes, I see him here another year or two then moving up to a front office job.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Item #2 on Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts is that Lombardi is working on a Sutter extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad