Kings News: John Stevens Promoted to Associate Coach; Coaching Staff All Retained

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Dave Molinari @MolinariPG · 1h

Word circulating that Los Angeles has not -- and likely will not -- give other teams permission to talk to John Stevens about coaching jobs.

Okay, as much as I'd love to see him as a head coach (something in Philly I witnessed for both PHantoms (AHL) and Flyers and he was good, fired too soon, anothe Snider blunder), I hope this is true

I really think he is such a LARGE part of the Kings success andc the players really seem to respond to him. And look at what he's done for the defense and PK

I wonder by them (if this is true) not giving permission, SUtter might retire after next year and they've more or less told Stevens he's the next coach. It would be a good move, the right move a seamless transition to system and person.

Update- as noted below, Elliot Friedman tweeted that Stevens is getting a promotion.
And it's well deserved.

Last edited:

Another Carter Snipe

Terminated User
Oct 20, 2011
San Diego, CA
Glad to hear it. Stevens is an excellent coach, and a huge part of what makes this team great. Kept the defensive structure from Murray's system strong when Darryl came in. Imperative to keep the coaching staff together if they can IMO.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
On Marek Verse Wyshynski the other day, they said that Sutter isn't long for LA.

I thought that was a bit strange, because that's the first I've heard about it.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
On Marek Verse Wyshynski the other day, they said that Sutter isn't long for LA.

I thought that was a bit strange, because that's the first I've heard about it.

Scott Oake on CBC flat out asked him during the Cup celebration after game 5, and Sutter said, or something close to it, "I'm already thinking about training camp.", so that pretty much tells you where Sutter is at. Although, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him call it a career after his contract is up.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 2m

Quote:
John Stevens will be staying in LA, with a promotion. Well-deserved.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Wonder what the promotion entails? I'd definitely prefer to keep him behind the bench, so hopefully whatever it is allows him to do so!

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
Lombardi's best move last season was keeping the staff strong by not letting Stevens talk with the Canucks--whom ultimately shot themselves in the foot by hiring Torts.

Talk about killing two birds with one stone.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
I'm guessing title probably changes from assistant coach to associate coach with a salary bump, handshake agreement as a successor to Sutter when he decides to head back to his farm.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=723085

Stevens promoted to Associate Coach, Kings also retain Payne and Ranford.

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Kings have promoted John Stevens to Associate Head Coach, and re-signed both Assistant Coach Davis Payne and Goaltending Coach Bill Ranford to new contracts, Kings Head Coach Darryl Sutter and Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi announced today.

The Kings, who set an NHL record by winning three Game 7s on the road, and tied an NHL record by playing 26 postseason games before winning their second Stanley Cup championship in three years, now have their championship-level coaching staff in place as they prepare to defend the Cup during the 2014-15 season.

“Our coaching staff has been an integral part of the success of our team the last three years,” said Lombardi. “We are extremely pleased that they will remain part of our team and continue together as we strive for excellence.”

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I didn't like him as head coach in Philly at all, but I like him as an assistant in LA.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The thread about this on the main board has serious potential.

Back to being the classless Kings, what a dick move holding a guy to his contract and giving him a promotion :sarcasm:

Lombardi's best move last season was keeping the staff strong by not letting Stevens talk with the Canucks--whom ultimately shot themselves in the foot by hiring Torts.

Talk about killing two birds with one stone.

Haha, didn't even think about that angle. Wow.

Cheers for Stevens, really seems to be doing magic with the development as well, look at how far Muzzin has come. now he just needs to wave the undo-sophomore-slump wand over Voynov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad