Kings News: John Stevens Promoted to Associate Coach; Coaching Staff All Retained

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Like winning a mini Cup. This is fantastic news. I'm a huge fan of his and I'm glad he's staying in LA, where he belongs. The writing is on the wall - he'll replace Sutter.

Alisa

Quickie fangirl
Oct 10, 2010
Orange County, Ca
So what is a associate head coach? Hes head coach every other Tuesdays and Thurdsdays. Wait I got it...

He gets to do all the pressers.....hahah

Please HockeyGods don't let this be the case. Sutter's pressers are one of the best parts of being a Kings fan.

Thrilled he's staying with us and positioned to take over when necessary.

Ron*

Associate Head Coach?

Is that a real position? Just never heard of it before... do other teams have such a role?

Yes, the NBA has been doing this for a few years now.

It's a promotion. He's not just an assistant, he's an associate...think of it as being a head coach when Sutter isn't around.

It also means he's likely been given a time frame to be named head coach after Sutter leaves, maybe as early as next season.

P.S. Lombardi is a ****ing genius.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Amazing news. Suck it, Vancouver. Find your own coach to destroy.

Classy comment. He wasn't the rumored #1 choice in Vancouver anyways. And I haven't heard of a city or team destroying a coach. Canucks coaches have actually done well for themselves in terms of finding employment after leaving the organization the past decade or so.

Ron*

Classy comment. He wasn't the rumored #1 choice in Vancouver anyways. And I haven't heard of a city or team destroying a coach. Canucks coaches have actually done well for themselves in terms of finding employment after leaving the organization the past decade or so.

Yup, classless from the organization to the team to its fans.

I don't know about the team destroying the coach, or the Tort destroying the team, but your team was a train wreck last season and that's being generous. I'm not sure if anyone really wants to go coach there now...you might just end up with a retread.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
If Stevens leaves, I want to see him go to a team that can contend. Not one that will pass the blame and run him out of town after the team continues to fall apart.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Anyone else numb to the word class? I had someone in a meeting today say I handled something classy. Didn't even take it as a compliment.

Ron*

Anyone else numb to the word class? I had someone in a meeting today say I handled something classy. Didn't even take it as a compliment.

I am into programming as a hobby. A "class," in object-oriented programming, according to wiki, is "an extensible template for creating objects, providing initial values for state (member variables) and implementations of behavior (member functions, methods)."

If you were to use "classless" in computer programming, you wouldn't get very far.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I am into programming as a hobby. A "class," in object-oriented programming, according to wiki, is "an extensible template for creating objects, providing initial values for state (member variables) and implementations of behavior (member functions, methods)."

If you were to use "classless" in computer programming, you wouldn't get very far.

"Classless" to me is looking at a ladies rear when she wears yoga pants... :naughty:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Tortorella? Crawford? Keenan? Renney? None of them are coaching in the NHL any longer and haven't exactly had much success when they moved on.

Either way, this is the second time John Stevens' name has come up as a coaching candidate in Vancouver. I pray to the Hockey Gods they end up rehiring Crawford. Maybe they can also reacquire Todd Bertuzzi and convince Brendan Morrison and Markus Naslund to come out of retirement.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
It's never classless to look at a ladies rear when she's wearing yoga pants. I think I speak on all men's behalf, yoga pants are one of man's greatest iventions.

I've been caught a couple times in the act. I pull out my usual line - "I'm so sorry, but you have one of the most magnificent figures I've ever seen!" The lady is so flattered she apologizes for getting mad!

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
I've been caught a couple times in the act. I pull out my usual line - "I'm so sorry, but you have one of the most magnificent figures I've ever seen!" The lady is so flattered she apologizes for getting mad!

That line sounds creepy (or maybe it's how I'm hearing it in my head). Just get sunglasses, dude.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yup, classless from the organization to the team to its fans.

I don't know about the team destroying the coach, or the Tort destroying the team, but your team was a train wreck last season and that's being generous. I'm not sure if anyone really wants to go coach there now...you might just end up with a retread.

Canucks fans have a bad reputation but I can assure you that I don't go onto another team's board to troll. I am a big fan of Dean Lombardi and it's hard to question an organization that just won the Cup 2 times in the past 3 seasons. With that said, you got to admit that DocWest's post would have been treated as a bad post anywhere else but on the Kings board.

I never get why people believe that coaches would actually not want to coach at a place when they are out of a job. There are 3 coaching positions left in the NHL and all three represent different situations. Take a guy like Blysma, he's been reportedly been offered the job in Florida but he's interviewing with Vancouver. I can see why. This is a coach who might have gained a reputation of not being able to get it done in the playoffs. Vancouver is closer to contending. Blysma might end up being the transition guy in Florida when he fails to make the playoffs in his first two to three years there.

And I'm not sure if hiring a retread is a bad thing anymore given the success of Therien in Montreal and Hartley in Calgary last season. Besides, wouldn't Stevens be considered a retread?

Tortorella? Crawford? Keenan? Renney? None of them are coaching in the NHL any longer and haven't exactly had much success when they moved on.
The point was that Vancouver destroys their coaches. I was pointing out the fact that Vigneault and Crawford immediately found a job after being let go. Crawford landed on his feet in Dallas after coaching in LA, did LA destroy him? Of course not. Even Keenan didn't have to wait long to find another coaching gig. Renney wasn't ready to be an NHL coach so I don't think he warrants discussions. Down on the farm, Randy Carlye moved from the coach of the Canucks farm team to an NHL coaching gig, Vigneault got promoted, Arniel got hired, even McTavish found himself a GM job in the NHL. If a company I worked for helped me land a comparable or better gig, I don't think it's fair to say that that company destroyed me.

Back on topic, one can argue that the Flyers destroyed Stevens by promoting him too early. Steven's short stint as an NHL coach probably cost him a lot of NHL head coaching opportunities.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Holy overreaction, Batman! Guess what, this is not the Canucks board and it's hilarious that my comment sent you in a spin trying to defend their honor. While it was snarky, the sentiment remains true. I'm glad that your organization won't be going anywhere near Stevens. He has a much better chance at success staying with us when he will (potentially) take over when Sutter retires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad