Seravalli: John Klingberg will test the market

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Considering the Pavelski and Deboer connections, if they want an offensive D man, he fits far better than an of the other guys mentioned.
Perhaps, but how much would Grier retain over term? Petry is a much easier fit and I'm sure there are others who would be too.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Perhaps, but how much would Grier retain over term? Petry is a much easier fit and I'm sure there are others who would be too.
Depends on the return of course. Higher the return higher the retention.

I think at zero retention he’s neutral value, but as you go up it gets higher pretty quick

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
If Detroit signs Klingberg, then that opens up the possibility of them trading Hronek. Could even afford to trade Hronek at 50%. He’d be a steal at ~$2.2M and he’s RFA after that, so there’s still some team control.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If Detroit signs Klingberg, then that opens up the possibility of them trading Hronek. Could even afford to trade Hronek at 50%. He’d be a steal at ~$2.2M and he’s RFA after that, so there’s still some team control.
Yzerman signs Klinger, Yzerman trades Hronek for $2.2M to Jim Nill for Dallas #18 OA pick win win for both.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Better than giving up the #18 OA pick for Jeff Freaking Petry at full value, Which is a very real possibility knowing Jim Nill. When you consider $6,250,000 x 3 years for Petry.
Better doesn't make it a win.
Giving up 18 for Petry would be a colossal f*** up. Giving anything for him would.
But giving up 18 for Hronek isn’t a "win"

Reactions: kanucks25

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Sounds like you don't know Jim Nill.
No he was only with Detroit for ages, I met him years ago in the 1970's when he was with Detroit. So yeah i know Jim Nill.

Jim Nill doesn’t trade his 1st round picks. He just doesn’t. If Petry goes to Dallas, the 1st won’t be part of it.
Yeah well obviously Hab fans would disagree on this. As they think their precious Petry is worth a 1st round pick.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Yeah well obviously Hab fans would disagree on this. As they think their precious Petry is worth a 1st round pick.

Yeah, I’m fully willing to admit I could be wrong on this one. But from the past 10+ years of seeing how he works, and others Stars fans can correct me if I’m forgetting something, it seems Nill is willing to part with almost anything but a 1st rounder.

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
No he was only with Detroit for ages, I met him years ago in the 1970's when he was with Detroit. So yeah i know Jim Nill.
:laugh: "I met him once 50 years ago, he gave me a lollipop. I know him!!!"

In the 9 drafts as Stars GM, he hasn't ONCE traded his 1st round pick. But apparently, trading his 1st round pick this year would be "very Jim Nill".

If he traded the pick this year, it would be very unlike Jim Nill. The opposite of what you said.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yeah, I’m fully willing to admit I could be wrong on this one. But from the past 10+ years of seeing how he works, and others Stars fans can correct me if I’m forgetting something, it seems Nill is willing to part with almost anything but a 1st rounder.

:laugh: "I met him once 50 years ago, he gave me a lollipop. I know him!!!"

In the 9 drafts as Stars GM, he hasn't ONCE traded his 1st round pick. But apparently, trading his 1st round pick this year would be "very Jim Nill".

If he traded the pick this year, it would be very unlike Jim Nill. The opposite of what you said.

Well......technically he has, but it was to move down.

Wyatt Johnston was picked with Washington's first rounder......traded to Dallas by Detroit, coincidentally!

Oettinger's another example of Nill moving a first, since he traded to move up to 26 and nab Otter with Chicago's 1st.

That said, it's true that Dallas hasn't moved a 1st rounder in any deal for a player since around 2007......and this may age terribly in a few hours but I sure hope Jeff Petry isn't the player that ends that run. :laugh:

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan

Wyatt Johnston was picked with Washington's first rounder......traded to Dallas by Detroit, coincidentally!

Oettinger's another example of Nill moving a first, since he traded to move up to 26 and nab Otter with Chicago's 1st.

That said, it's true that Dallas hasn't moved a 1st rounder in any deal for a player since around 2007......and this may age terribly in a few hours but I sure hope Jeff Petry isn't the player that ends that run. :laugh:
Nice catch! The only other instance I can think of is when he traded for the “Norwegian Hobbit,” where they may have been a conditional 1st if Zucc re-signed in Dallas, which wasn’t fulfilled.

And yes—agreed on Petry.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Nice catch! The only other instance I can think of is when he traded for the “Norwegian Hobbit,” where they may have been a conditional 1st if Zucc re-signed in Dallas, which wasn’t fulfilled.

Yup, another one there.

Honestly I would've been fine losing the 1st, too, if it meant keeping Zucc around. Damn was he ever fun to watch during his brief stint in Dallas.

Reactions: JesusNPucks

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine

God I hope not. He's been killing it lately with the 1st round, so hopefully, now more than ever, he won't do anything stupid.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I've never thought very highly of Klingberg. Lindell is a guy I'd love to get. Fantastic defender and no one seems to realize it or talk about him. Klingberg is constantly getting roasted.

Reactions: Ghost of Ethan Hunt

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Friedman mentions to keep an “eye on CAR and Klingberg…” in his latest 32 Thought podcast. It’s a very short blurb about 12mins in, but makes sense given CAR was interested in trading for him last season and now have a pressing need for a top 4 RD.

I’m skeptical they’d beat out offers from a team like the Kraken, but it makes a ton of sense if Klingberg wants to go to a (hopefully, next season still) contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad