Seravalli: John Klingberg will test the market

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Can any dallas fans comment on his relationship with Bowness? Would that be a positive or negative attribute if winnipeg wanted to lure him in lol

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Says who?
Me.

Not many top 4 RHD available this offseason, and I'm pretty sure Dallas intends to compete next year. Losing Klingberg without getting a potable replacement is recipe for disaster.

Letang will re-sign with the Pens before Malkin does.

Barrie sucks, he can't defend. 1 year to UFA, cheaper also though.

Who else?

All the rest are pretty bad (Schultz, Stralman, Bear...).

Petry to Dallas is a pretty great fit.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Still say he ends up in either Buffalo or Detroit. If it’s Detroit, they’ll move Hronek, getting a nice asset in return.

Reasoning? He’s the exact type of Dman Yzerman is after (tried with Leddy) and will hand out big money for. A pros pro, who can mentor a great set of young dmen coming up over the next 1-3 years. All while still being able to produce. The part Leddy lacked.

In Detroit’s case, the Swedish connections will be just as important. Not only with the 3 young Swedes on the blue line who will be playing in Detroit over the next two years, but they also have 3-5 more young, Swede forwards coming quick too. Almost half their roster is on the way to being Swedish.

Same reasoning for Buffalo. A pros pro, who will be a great influence on their future.

There’s also not many teams who will be able to outbid those two if they target him. All while they know going into his deal, the last 2 years will probably hurt a little. For the next 5 years though? He would more than make up for it with his mentoring of their young D corps.

There’s not many contenders who can compete money wise without moving AAV. Both Detroit and Buffalo could take a big step signing him.

Reactions: Estlin

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Me.

Not many top 4 RHD available this offseason, and I'm pretty sure Dallas intends to compete next year. Losing Klingberg without getting a potable replacement is recipe for disaster.

Who else?

Petry to Dallas is an awful fit. His cap is too high for his age. Dallas has to pay their guys. Otherwise they would have kept klingberg.

Also, Manson? Deangelo? Rutta? I hear Durzi may be available. There are plenty of options. No need for an older guy like petry. Dallas has suter for old defenseman.

Timani

Me.

Who else?

Stars will probably keep all of those guys' numbers handy as fallback options I would think, in case the Habs are wanting too much for Petry. I understand what he's done and what he still is/can be, but it's still a big risk to pay a guy that old, that much money, for that long, and give up a bunch to get it.

Saucepass

May 11, 2019
So Petry had a 1/2 a bad year and the coach gets the blame. Didn’t Petry have his best years under the same coach. Either the coach is responsible for both or neither.

Reactions: LT

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Can any dallas fans comment on his relationship with Bowness? Would that be a positive or negative attribute if winnipeg wanted to lure him in lol

Probably not great. Klingberg saw reduced ice time and was called out by Bowness for joining/leading the play offensively with Bowness' famous "offense will take care of itself" comments. Can't imagine Klingberg wants to be in his system again, he was one of the few Stars players who expressed frustration about the teams dump and chase game too.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Me.

Who else?

Okay so who're you going to move out to make Petry a reality? You still need to sign 5 more players at roughly $18,500,000 in salary cap. Oettinger probably gets $4,500,000 per and Robertson $7,500,000 adding Petry pretty much eats the rest of your cap. You'd need to move out probably both Faska and Khudobin minimally if not more. Don't see Petry in Dallas without retention. Probably needs to be around $5,000,000 x 3 years for Jim Nill to make the deal where as Yzerman can easily swallow Petry's whole $6,250,000 and not even be fazed plus Detroit would easily be Petry's number 1 destination being home and all and where his family resides.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Montreal fans. And they aren't willing to budge on a premium price, and last year cannot be counted against his value, and age is just a number, and they will not retain on his contract.
Yeah well Montreal fans don't control where Petry goes, He has a 15 team no trade list. Dallas still needs to sign 5 players with $18,500,000 and Oettinger and Robertson will get about 80% of that and Petry eats the rest. Nill will need to move out Faska and Khudobin at the very least to even make it work cap wise.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Montreal fans. And they aren't willing to budge on a premium price, and last year cannot be counted against his value, and age is just a number, and they will not retain on his contract.

Don't put us all in the same bucket. Some of us aren't delusional and know Petry is a cap dump. In an ideal world we'd get future considerations for him but doubt that happens. Just hope we don't have to take back too much salary.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
So Petry had a 1/2 a bad year and the coach gets the blame. Didn’t Petry have his best years under the same coach. Either the coach is responsible for both or neither.

Not the same coach. Petry had his best years with Claude Julien who we fired February 2021. Then came in Ducharme who was fired February 2022.

Reactions: pth2

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
Don't put us all in the same bucket. Some of us aren't delusional and know Petry is a cap dump. In an ideal world we'd get future considerations for him but doubt that happens. Just hope we don't have to take back too much salary.
I don’t, but that is how about 90% of them talk. I’m not one to think he has negative value, but taking him on involves risk that a lot of Montreal fans (not you) are not willing to admit and are giving everyone the used car sales job.

He might end up in Dallas, but as others have mentioned, their needs to retention/salary going back/or money moved out other ways for Dallas to afford him. Let alone an agreement on what assets the Canadiens want in return. I personally don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I think a team is going to pay much more that he's worth.

1. B/C there aren't many D men available
2. While solid Klingberg ate the years Benn, Seguin, Radulov etc were tearing it up. He isn't even their best D-man anymore

I personally would rather have Barrie at a cheaper price

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I see Petry as a good replacement - he's only a 3 year commitment.

18 for Petry and 33 ?
Faksa or Glendenning and a 2nd for Petry ?
Sending a reasonable contract back (ie, not a dump) is doable, asking the Habs to retain for 3 seasons, isn't.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
O'Lawd Hammercy, this is turning into a dump Petry on unsuspecting team/GM thread (again).

Clearly he has little value league wide...

For fans that watched Klingberg in recent seasons, how is his defensive play?

Average? Below/Above Avg.? Thanks for the feedback, in advance.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
O'Lawd Hammercy, this is turning into a dump Petry on unsuspecting team/GM thread (again).

Clearly he has little value league wide...

For fans that watched Klingberg in recent seasons, how is his defensive play?

Average? Below/Above Avg.? Thanks for the feedback, in advance.

Usually it's around average to just below average. This past season he clearly wasn't putting much effort in and it was horrific on some nights

His best defense is his transition ability. Doesn't get stuck in his own end a lot

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Usually it's around average to just below average. This past season he clearly wasn't putting much effort in and it was horrific on some nights

His best defense is his transition ability. Doesn't get stuck in his own end a lot
That's more or less what I gathered reading comments on him the last ~1yr. Seems like a strong candidate to be a quasi-albatross by the end of the 3rd yr of new contract. I'm sure he'll command 6-7 though. Pt.producing RHS-Top4 PMD, just barely under 30 (29).

...I'm hoping Hronek (career 40pt/82gp) on lottery teams can learn D under Lalonde & is salvageable for JK's potential role on Detroit. Though I'd be comfortable w/JK @$6.5m*3y, maybe a 4th yr since he'd be mentoring 1/2 of Sweden's youts (Pesci). I know that won't happen, it's just how much I value him.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Me.

Who else?

Maybe Detroit would trade Hronek for the Dallas 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad