Player Discussion John Gibson

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The numbers mean nothing. But it would be interesting to see Gibson’s career pre-AS break and post-AS break numbers. I would think his Oct-Dec are the best.

He’s faces a lot of shots and at 30 I don’t see him suddenly becoming a solid second half goalie.

Arguing Dostal vs Gibson is a bit like a lethal injection vs electric chair as I see neither being elite heading into a playoff berth. For now Dostal will do.

I think the Ducks will stock up on good prospects in the hopes one will hit.

John

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Either he's hurt, sick, tired, or sick and tired of losing. Or some combination therein.

Long-term fatigue an issue as well. He's got a ton of milage and they've been hard miles.

I think this year has been the most I've seen him struggle over his entire career.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
It's pretty wild to see so many people think Gibson will be bought out this summer. The Ducks would be paying 2.13 mil per year until the 29/30 season... I just cannot see the Ducks doing this when he can still play. He might not be that good anymore, but he's still better than a lot of goalies out there.

I am okay with a trade and maybe even retention but a buyout is wild. Just seems reactionary to a bad ending to a bad season.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It's pretty wild to see so many people think Gibson will be bought out this summer. The Ducks would be paying 2.13 mil per year until the 29/30 season... I just cannot see the Ducks doing this when he can still play. He might not be that good anymore, but he's still better than a lot of goalies out there.

I am okay with a trade and maybe even retention but a buyout is wild. Just seems reactionary to a bad ending to a bad season.
I don't think many people actually believe he will be bought out...they just want him to be. I believe it is very unrealistic unless the relationship between the organization and Gibson is torn beyond repair and there are no trade options available.
That said, there are advantages to buying him out if that must happen. Specifically:
1. The Ducks will save $6.4 million in actual cash over the life of the contract including $12.8 million over the next years.
2. The cap savings will be $4.267 million annually over the next three years. Those savings can be used in other areas to strengthen the team including getting an inexpensive goaltender to replace Gibson. Yes, there will be a $2.133 cap hit in years 4-6 but that should be very manageable as the cap increases.

So to be clear, I'm not advocating a buyout but if the relationship is terminally broken and the trade market is zero, then it wouldn't be a terrible alternative.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't think many people actually believe he will be bought out...they just want him to be. I believe it is very unrealistic unless the relationship between the organization and Gibson is torn beyond repair and there are no trade options available.
That said, there are advantages to buying him out if that must happen. Specifically:
1. The Ducks will save $6.4 million in actual cash over the life of the contract including $12.8 million over the next years.
2. The cap savings will be $4.267 million annually over the next three years. Those savings can be used in other areas to strengthen the team including getting an inexpensive goaltender to replace Gibson. Yes, there will be a $2.133 cap hit in years 4-6 but that should be very manageable as the cap increases.

So to be clear, I'm not advocating a buyout but if the relationship is terminally broken and the trade market is zero, then it wouldn't be a terrible alternative.

Anaheim should be a playoff team by three years. Sure, the cap will be up, but we'll be paying out a lot to a bunch of youths for their second contracts. We might be buyers for expensive FA's at that time too. That $2.133 mil could be useful as that cushion salary needed at a TDL acquisition(s) for the playoff run for three consecutive seasons.

If we're going to start a rebuild, I can see us buying Gibby out like we did Perry. But we're not starting a rebuild. We're taking steps to prep to become a playoff team in a couple of years or three. Why shoot ourselves in the foot when we don't need to unnecessarily?

Reactions: Rybread86

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Anaheim should be a playoff team by three years. Sure, the cap will be up, but we'll be paying out a lot to a bunch of youths for their second contracts. We might be buyers for expensive FA's at that time too. That $2.133 mil could be useful as that cushion salary needed at a TDL acquisition(s) for the playoff run for three consecutive seasons.

If we're going to start a rebuild, I can see us buying Gibby out like we did Perry. But we're not starting a rebuild. We're taking steps to prep to become a playoff team in a couple of years or three. Why shoot ourselves in the foot when we don't need to unnecessarily?
I said at least twice in my post that a buyout would only be a potential option IF IF IF the relationship is terminally broken and the trade market is zero. In that case, do you keep him around for three years? That's what PV would need to decide IF IF IF the Gibson relationship is terminal. I also said a buyout was very unrealistic in the absence of a terminal relationship. If you want to respond what you would do under those circumstances feel free to. In any other circumstance I don't see a buyout.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I said at least twice in my post that a buyout would only be a potential option IF IF IF the relationship is terminally broken and the trade market is zero. In that case, do you keep him around for three years? That's what PV would need to decide IF IF IF the Gibson relationship is terminal. I also said a buyout was very unrealistic in the absence of a terminal relationship. If you want to respond what you would do under those circumstances feel free to. In any other circumstance I don't see a buyout.

Gibby isn't terminal. Our fan base and media often drum up of trading him for years. Gibby has been able to mute all that noise. Many of us feel like he's giving up based upon body language. We don't factor in that he maybe playing through injuries despite Gibby being taken out of the game lots this year and reported injuries to where he can't play. Look at Mac. He was amazing when he was healthy to start the season: 21 points in 20 games! Then he had back issues and hasn't played amazing since, despite racking up 21 points in 44 games.

I ran the numbers at 5v5 and PK. He's producing similarly with Dostal, but better than Dostal at HD chances. Both are over .900 Sv% at 5v5 situations, per Natural Stat Trick. Both are abysmal at the PK dept, which doesn't make sense b/c we're good at ES defense. That mean our PK coaching sucks ass.

We don't have to buyout Gibby. We can ride him for the next three years if we have to do it. Gibby isn't terminal. He just happens to have a bad team in front of him on the PK and not much offensive goal support to speak of.

Last year's PK GA = 78 goals against on the PK
This year's PK GA = 90 goals against on the PK in 81 games.

Last year's GF = 209 goals.
This year's GF = 200 goals in 81 games.

This year's roster is much better than last year's roster!

Reactions: Rybread86

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Because he has a modified NTC I think Gibson can be waived. I’m guess he would clear.

It might open options to have him spend time in the AHL so he would be fresh for a playoff push in Feb/Mar.

I’m sure he would hate it. And his ego would take a hit, but it might help him physically.

John

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Buyouts are normally a last resort. Unfortunately other options to move on from Gibson are probably not tenable. I don’t think he is a fit with the Ducks anymore.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Gibby isn't terminal. Our fan base and media often drum up of trading him for years. Gibby has been able to mute all that noise. Many of us feel like he's giving up based upon body language. We don't factor in that he maybe playing through injuries despite Gibby being taken out of the game lots this year and reported injuries to where he can't play. Look at Mac. He was amazing when he was healthy to start the season: 21 points in 20 games! Then he had back issues and hasn't played amazing since, despite racking up 21 points in 44 games.

I ran the numbers at 5v5 and PK. He's producing similarly with Dostal, but better than Dostal at HD chances. Both are over .900 Sv% at 5v5 situations, per Natural Stat Trick. Both are abysmal at the PK dept, which doesn't make sense b/c we're good at ES defense. That mean our PK coaching sucks ass.

We don't have to buyout Gibby. We can ride him for the next three years if we have to do it. Gibby isn't terminal. He just happens to have a bad team in front of him on the PK and not much offensive goal support to speak of.

I guess using the qualifier "IF IF IF" was not clear. You don't know if the relationship is terminal and neither do I. Hence the qualifier "IF IF IF". Next topic.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016

Gibson isn’t going anywhere unless he’s toxic for the room/Verbeek sees him as toxic etc.At least not for next season. Maybe once the younger goalies in the system are ready to become a backup and or dostal really takes the reigns next season. it’s
Much more likely that Fowler somehow someway is moved/bought out given the players we have on our team already.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Can we swap Gibson for Josh Anderson if we retained a bit? Anderson has been underperforming quite a bit and has been injury prone but he would bring much needed size/physicality as well as that right-handed shot that Verbeek mentioned. Plus there's only 3 years remaining so we wouldn't have to offer another Strome/Killorn type of contract this offseason.

I didn't realize that they extended Sam Montembeault at 3+ million. Didn't think he would be worth that type of money.

How about Gibson + McGinn for Anderson + Montembeault?... Maybe we retain 1-2 million on Gibby's contract.

Can't see many opportunities out there right now... other than maybe Detroit. Buffalo might stick with Luukkonen, and Devils will probably stick with Allen...

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'd rather add significantly to Gibson and try and pry Tuch out of Buffalo than take someone else's VASTLY underperformed players.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think when you are trading a vastly underperforming player you can realistically expect to only get back someone else's vastly underperforming players.
Fair so why bother we have Dostal so we can arguably life Gibson to some extent while andersson takes a more important roster spot.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Fair so why bother we have Dostal so we can arguably life Gibson to some extent while andersson takes a more important roster spot.
Not sure who andersson is but I think the likelihood is that we'll see Gibson in training camp in September. Keeping him around is probably the best of the worst options for PV.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Not sure who andersson is but I think the likelihood is that we'll see Gibson in training camp in September. Keeping him around is probably the best of the worst options for PV.
Sorry, Anderson. From mtl. That was the original idea floating around. Not a fan of trading for other teams issues. Would rather work out our own. Like you suggest, I think it's more likely. The idea for Tuch is just wishful thinking if a team actually wanted Gibson at this stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad