Player Discussion John Gibson

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He’s got nothing left. Either intentionally or he’s physically spent he moves like an old man.

I don’t think anyone would take him.

If I understand the rules we will have to pay 2/3 of his $19.2m contract spread over twice the term. So $2.1m for 6 years.

Going to hurt when the kids need to get paid.

John
It's gotta be at least mostly intentional. I don't think I'm ever going to forget how well he played prior to the trade deadline last year, though I did forget the actual numbers so I'm gonna post them for posterity:

2-20-23 vs Florida: 51 saves on 55 shots 92.7% where Gibson outperformed Bobrovsky to steal us the loser point in OT

2-23-23 vs Washington: 41 saves on 43 shots 95.3sv%

2-25-23 vs. Carolina: 51 saves on 53 shots 96.2sv%

2-27-23: Dostal starts and only lets in 2 on 23 shots

2-31-23 vs Washington: 36 saves on 39 shots 92.3 sv% stole us a loser point

After that his play started gradually falling off again. It showed me that he could play well if he was motivated to but I don't think this team can (or should) afford to wait for the rest of the lineup to start performing at a higher level to wait for Gibby to start playing with pride in his game, to drop the petulant and defeatist attitude, and to start playing like he's one of the higher paid goaltenders in this league. I don't like the example it sets and what it contributes to the teams psychology/culture of losing.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
He could be legitimately playing through something

Either way imo dostal has played himself into a tandem situation at worst

Reactions: Yemeth and Kalv

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
The only real hope at this point is that Gibson can get fully healthy (physically AND mentally) and begin to play better as the team itself improves. If PV can move him in the next year he should be given GM of the decade award.
He has 1 more year with us. Unless 1. He’s asked for a trade 2. It’s been determined he’s a locker room cancer

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He has 1 more year with us. Unless 1. He’s asked for a trade 2. It’s been determined he’s a locker room cancer
Probably true but even if he's asked for a trade there has to be a team that wants him and there probably isn't. He could agree to a mutual contract termination but he never would. If he is a locker room cancer (I'm not sure he is) then a buyout is probably warranted. No easy answers here.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Here is a list of teams that could be looking for a starting goalie this offseason:

NJ - They seem hellbent on Markstrom, so Gibson would just be a backup plan.

DET - Husso hasn’t worked for them and Lyon has come back down to Earth.

OTT - Korpisalo has been terrible and his contract is even longer than Gibson’s, so the only way they would interest me is if they buy Korpisalo out because I don’t want him in the return.

TOR - They have Woll signed and 3 UFA goalies, so we will see how that shakes out.

LAK - All 3 of their goalies are UFAs, but they will be very tight on cap space.

PHI - They have quite a few goalie prospects on the verge, but none of them have taken the reigns on a starting job yet. Probably not a Gibson candidate.

EDM - I wouldn’t be surprised if they just go with Skinner, but a Campbell buyout could open up some space.

CBJ - Merzlikins has been very bad, but they have a couple of prospects who they probably want to give games to.

From this list, I think Detroit is the best option, especially if they don’t make the playoffs. They will be looking to improve and they have enough cap space to work with. Hudson would definitely have to be part of the deal, though.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
you guys do know that just cause a goalie is bad doesn't mean he's a locker room cancer right?
I don’t know if he is a locker room cancer. It doesn’t hinge on not being good player or half our team is at fault.

Everything is attitude. Attitude by a vet can be a big influence on younger players.

John

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
you guys do know that just cause a goalie is bad doesn't mean he's a locker room cancer right?
I can't comment on how he is in the locker room but you can see how he is on the ice. There's many games of examples now where his play, his body language, and his facial expressions are indicative of a guy who is not interested in pushing through adversity and trying to do his part even when the team in front of him isn't getting it done. Instead, a lot of the times he looks like he just gives up on games that start going poorly. As a veteran on the team, that's a bad example for our young players.

He can be a delight in the locker room for all I care. His decline in on ice professionalism is a problem and he shouldn't be entitled to be granted leeway to wait to start playing like he's worth a damn until he's personally determined that the team in front of him is good enough to put up a competitive effort.

It's either he plays like he's entitled to only try when he determines that the team in front of him is playoff caliber or he is simply cooked as an NHL starter. Either way, he's a problem.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don’t know if he is a locker room cancer. It doesn’t hinge on not being good player or half our team is at fault.

Everything is attitude. Attitude by a vet can be a big influence on younger players.

John

I can't comment on how he is in the locker room but you can see how he is on the ice. There's many games of examples now where his play, his body language, and his facial expressions are indicative of a guy who is not interested in pushing through adversity and trying to do his part even when the team in front of him isn't getting it done. Instead, a lot of the times he looks like he just gives up on games that start going poorly. As a veteran on the team, that's a bad example for our young players.

He can be a delight in the locker room for all I care. His decline in on ice professionalism is a problem and he shouldn't be entitled to be granted leeway to wait to start playing like he's worth a damn until he's personally determined that the team in front of him is good enough to put up a competitive effort.
so we're back to be experts in body language huh? same logic people had when Zegras got into that scuff with Stetcher and people where expert lip readers and all thought Rico was over Zegras antic cause of his body language too. just seems like people wanting to justify disliking Gibson other than he's just not a good goalie.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
so we're back to be experts in body language huh? same logic people had when Zegras got into that scuff with Stetcher and people where expert lip readers and all thought Rico was over Zegras antic cause of his body language too. just seems like people wanting to justify disliking Gibson other than he's just not a good goalie.
I don't have a problem with Gibson the person, which a big difference between the people who criticize Zegras and attack his character at every chance they get and the people who want to move on from Gibson because they feel a change is needed.

Sure, my interpretation is subjective as no one can prove what's actually going on in Gibson's head. Me posting above that Gibson played his ass off in the lead up to last year's TDL as an effort to get traded is an inference based on the timing of his out of nowhere Vezina caliber play but I don't know for sure that he was actually trying to get traded and would've waived his NTC to get away from this team. But the attitude issues that seem apparent to me also correlate to how games typically go with him in net and it's not like his body language/demeanor is a new thing for him. He played like he was trying to carry the team on his back for the first couple of years of the rebuild and then the on ice personality stuff started shining through in tandem with a trend in his play.

That trend being that he would start games looking locked in, he'd let in a bad goal or two off of blown defensive coverage and then his actual play, as in how he was actually navigating the crease and reacting to incoming shots would decline. I don't feel like it's just a small subset of negatively biased fans who have noticed that for the past few years, Gibson was at least mentally checking out of games after facing a little adversity. Personally I think it reflects with how he acts on the ice, and my impression is that he doesn't feel like trying until the team in front of him starts being worthy enough for his complete effort.

If that's not the case, then he's just cooked and mentally broken down from playing for a rebuilding team as long as he has, again, whatever the case may be, he's been an issue and I don't think he's entitled to be allowed to sit and give a subpar effort (when we know he can play better) until the team starts playing well enough for him to be motivated to try again. Part of building a winning culture is having a team of players who give winning efforts. It's one thing to have off nights here and there, it's quite another to give subpar efforts most nights.

My impression doesn't come from wanting to justify not liking the guy. I want to like the guy. He was my favorite goalie in the league by a wide margin. My feelings on this issue come from wanting to see this team build the culture and talent to get the f*** out of this rebuild period and my takeaway is that Gibson needs to go for us to get everyone on board, and making 6 million dollars a year to play this sport, he doesn't deserve to coast until everyone else does.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
He could be legitimately playing through something

Either way imo dostal has played himself into a tandem situation at worst
Well he literally did just miss a bunch of games with an injury, and Hazy mentioned he wasn't able to practice either. But I think people also think that he's not really hurt and just doesn't feel like playing, or playing well.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Well he literally did just miss a bunch of games with an injury, and Hazy mentioned he wasn't able to practice either. But I think people also think that he's not really hurt and just doesn't feel like playing, or playing well.
My concerns stretch beyond just last night or this season. Could well be he played hurt last night. I don't think he played hurt the other 45 games he played this year.

Reactions: Deuce22

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
My concerns stretch beyond just last night or this season. Could well be he played hurt last night. I don't think he played hurt the other 45 games he played this year.
He looked like an 80 year old man at times last night picking himself up off the ice.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Gibson has been average to below average for 4 years now. He’s overpaid for what he brings in net. Dostal is our best goalie now. Forget the speculation about locker room cancer, etc. It’s time to move on.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
That's fair enough, although he's clearly been hurt off and on all year. And he just missed some time for personal reasons, too. I find his statements off-putting at times, moreso in the past than lately as he seems to have mellowed.

I just don't buy the body language nonsense. There's no way to win once people start reading tea leaves like that.

Gibson has been average to below average for 4 years now. He’s overpaid for what he brings in net. Dostal is our best goalie now. Forget the speculation about locker room cancer, etc. It’s time to move on.
Yeah, if you're going to move on from him, let it be because he's not obviously the best goalie we have anymore. All this "oh he looked mad" stuff is just babyish.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That's fair enough, although he's clearly been hurt off and on all year. And he just missed some time for personal reasons, too. I find his statements off-putting at times, moreso in the past than lately as he seems to have mellowed.

I just don't buy the body language nonsense. There's no way to win once people start reading tea leaves like that.

Yeah, if you're going to move on from him, let it be because he's not obviously the best goalie we have anymore. All this "oh he looked mad" stuff is just babyish.
Just my impression at the end of the day and my impression won't impact what the team ultimately decides to do. I think there's a culture issue at play but it's Verbeek and the Samueli's call on what they want to do with him.

I've been thinking it through and whether or not there's a culture effect, I think the solution is just have him be the expensive backup until his contract expires. If he starts playing to take the starting job back it can only benefit the team.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Just my impression at the end of the day and my impression won't impact what the team ultimately decides to do. I think there's a culture issue at play but it's Verbeek and the Samueli's call on what they want to do with him.

I've been thinking it through and whether or not there's a culture effect, I think the solution is just have him be the expensive backup until his contract expires. If he starts playing to take the starting job back it can only benefit the team.
There is definitely a culture issue here. All the losing needs to be forgotten and not accepted. Gibson I find has a sort of attitude when things are not going his way.and the team always plays like shit in front of him

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Not reading body language. Despite how many pirouettes his agent did last Summer, I do feel Gibson didn’t want to play another game in a Ducks jersey.

John

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
A big part of Gibsons career has now been spent being in tank mode. It's been what 6 seasons of no playoffs ?

Reactions: Kalv

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
What a terrible contract he was signed to... 3 more years at 6.4m. He could have value with only 2 years left but 3 is a stretch given his performance. Being a back up for a year and maybe wave if he doesnt perform may be the best option for next year.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I was singing Dostál's praises before most here knew who he was. IMO, he and Clara are the future in net. That said... if Gibson sucks, then so does Lukáš.

GPWSGAASV%GSAxGSAx/60
Dostál431313.39.900-7.7-0.204
Gibson461303.54.888-9.6-0.225

EDIT: I don't believe Sudsie would've asked Gibson to be his pallbearer if he was a "locker room cancer" but what do I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doothpick

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I was singing Dostál's praises before most here knew who he was. IMO, he and Clara are the future in net. That said... if Gibson sucks, then so does Lukáš.

GPWSGAASV%GSAEGSAE/60
Dostál431313.39.900-7.7-0.204
Gibson461303.54.888-9.6-0.225

EDIT: I don't believe Sudsie would've asked Gibson to be his pallbearer if he was a "locker room cancer" but what do I know.
Dostál has the 28th rated SV%, Gibson the 43rd. Gibson is closer to the 8th rated SV% in the league than he is to Gibson.(for goalies with 30+ games)

Gibson has a habit of not moving well after 1-3 goals against him. He is exceedingly slow to recover his position and/or stand up, moves lethargically across the crease, and most importantly not look around to find out where the puck has gone when he loses track of a shot or rebound. Some of that could well be physical issues, but some of it is unlikely to be physical issues. Especially when he starts playing like he’s not broken, and the physical behavior happens after goals rather than physical contact or difficult saves.

That said, in the Calgary game, he took of his helmet at one point and he looks physically unwell. Like he belongs in an emo band level gaunt and pale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doothpick

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Dostál has the 28th rated SV%, Gibson the 43rd. Gibson is closer to the 8th rated SV% in the league than he is to Gibson.(for goalies with 30+ games)

GSAx for goalies with 30+ games: Gibson 5th worst, Dostál 8th worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad