Proposal: John Gibson to the Caps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Depending on how the playoffs go, I may reconsider my stance on not doing this deal. I'm pretty nervous about going into the playoffs with Samsonov, Vanecek, and Anderson. I know goaltending success is pretty random but it seems less random with a talent like Gibson.

Yes. The reason you have an ace goalie, like a Holtby or Lundqvist in their primes or Vasi and so forth is that the reliability of top quality play is higher than with lesser veterans and inexperienced talent.

Seems clear to me that the Caps think that Samsonov and now Vanecek can develop into top level goalies and chose to go that way rather than move Holtby and get a veteran top goalie from elsewhere. I dont see them bailing off that plan after just one season where they are battling for another division title.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Good offer, but I still wouldn't do it as a Ducks fan. If we're trading elite talent, we need either elite talent or elite potential coming back.

Reactions: amjay13

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Good offer, but I still wouldn't do it as a Ducks fan. If we're trading elite talent, we need either elite talent or elite potential coming back.

I think you get that potentially with a first round pick, Samsonov, McMichael All 3 could be elite.

I like Samsonov, I just think it is going to be a couple of years until he is ready to lead a team to a cup. Like most goalies, he will his prime in his mid to late 20s.

Gibson is ready to win now, just like the Caps. The next two years after this one are probably it. Hell, Anahiem can have Gibson back after Ovechkin retires, I just don't want to blow his last few years on young, inexperienced goaltending!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Ducks can keep Gibson, but if they don't start improving their talent with forwards and start scoring more goals in the next couple years, then Gibson being elite will be wasted. As NHL history has proven multiple times, elite goalies like Roy, Hasek, etc., don't last with their original team, if they don't give those great goalies a good supporting cast. I give props to Lundqvist, for sticking too long with the Rangers. Had he left 3 seasons or more ago, he might have won a Cup by now. Gibson will not win a Cup with the Ducks. If he really wants to win one, it will have to be with another team.

The right trade for Gibson would be a top goalie prospect, a good player with a contract similar to Gibson's to make the salary work and high 2nd round pick(or bottom 1st round pick).

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The right trade for Gibson would be a top goalie prospect, a good player with a contract similar to Gibson's to make the salary work and high 2nd round pick(or bottom 1st round pick).

Ducks have two great goalie prospects they don't need another. Horvat like trade (top-10 pick) would be the best option for the Ducks.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Ducks can keep Gibson, but if they don't start improving their talent with forwards and start scoring more goals in the next couple years, then Gibson being elite will be wasted. As NHL history has proven multiple times, elite goalies like Roy, Hasek, etc., don't last with their original team, if they don't give those great goalies a good supporting cast. I give props to Lundqvist, for sticking too long with the Rangers. Had he left 3 seasons or more ago, he might have won a Cup by now. Gibson will not win a Cup with the Ducks. If he really wants to win one, it will have to be with another team.

Thanks for not taking the Ducks needs into account at all.

The Ducks are better off keeping him. No downside in keeping an elite goalie.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Isn't his Samsonov's first year as a full time starter? Maybe he turns into 06 Cam Ward in the postseason. Regardless, I think Washington is good enough to win the cup with Samsonov in net this year.

That would've been alot to give up.

Reactions: Getz2noone

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Thanks for not taking the Ducks needs into account at all.

The Ducks are better off keeping him. No downside in keeping an elite goalie.

Cant say it better myself. How does that help the Ducks needs? Even if you’re on the argument of Ducks being bad in the scoring department like his or hers first paragraph mentioned it does nothing.

Anaheim gets a young prospect goalie, a contract similar to Gibsons and a 2nd round pick...... Murray!!! Hold the phone we just found the solution to Anaheim’s problems!!!!

Cmon man that’s a troll post if I ever seen one :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad