Proposal: John Gibson to the Caps

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Such a deal may make more sense in the offseason but would love to see the Caps upgrade in goal for the upcoming playoffs.

To Washington: John Gibson
To Anaheim: Ilya Samsonov, Connor McMichael, 2021 1st round pick + Richard Panik (or other cap dump)

Anahiem gets a young goalie, the Caps top prospect and a late first round pick for their rebuild.

Washington upgrades in goal by obtaining a goalie who is ready to win now for the last few years of the Ovechkin era.

Last edited:

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Holy f*** are you trying to get John Gibson or 90's Hasek?

Obviously Gibson>Samsonov. McMichael is an excellent prospect but no sure thing. The first is a late first. The Caps have just 2-3 years left of contending. I do not see a goaltender currently on their roster capable of leading them to a Cup. I am willing to take a hit for maximizing the last few years of the best player in franchise history.

Reactions: EK392000

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Wow. Vanacek tbh looks pretty good to me.

As a NYI fan, I'd love for the Caps to make that deal. I realize their goal is to win this year, but boy that makes their roster management difficult in the near future.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I don't know the Caps players so I won't comment on them, but a young goaltender is 'not' a need for the Ducks with Dostal coming on strong in the AHL. Someone serviceable to fill the year or two until he's NHL ready perhaps, but looking to the future, probably not. Very good forwards who can actually find the back of the net might generate interest though...

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
what's the deal with lundquist ? I saw he was back on the ice for a bit a while ago, but it looks like he's out for this season because of some inflammation.

man that must suck.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
think the caps have a good enough team to win this year but everything is on the 2 goalies. I dont personally think either is good enough to win. caps getting a proven goalie makes them legit contenders imo. Thats too much to give up for Gibson tho.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
what's the deal with lundquist ? I saw he was back on the ice for a bit a while ago, but it looks like he's out for this season because of some inflammation.

He had open heart surgery a month or two ago...sitting out the season isn't a bad thing.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Such a deal may make more sense in the offseason but would love to see the Caps upgrade in goal for the upcoming playoffs.

To Washington: John Gibson
To Anaheim: Ilya Samsonov, Connor McMichael, 2021 1st round pick + Richard Panik (or other cap dump)

Anahiem gets a young goalie, the Caps top prospect and a late first round pick for their rebuild.

Washington upgrades in goal by obtaining a goalie who is ready to win now for the last few years of the Ovechkin era.
One of the more solid trades I’ve seen on here. Price seems steep but you’re also getting Gibson for term. Well done.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
At least you've acknowledged that gibson is Anaheims cornerstone, and that some plugs won't pry him away from Bob's cold hands.

With that said, Anaheims still gonna say no, if only because dostal and stolarz aren't full time nhl ready.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I would prob do that from Anaheim perspective, props to the poster for taking other team in account when making trade

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I have to be honest, McMichael would be amazing but the rest is not super appealing to me. Samsonov isn't a good fit for what the Ducks need. They have the guy of the future in Dostal.
Also that 1st is going to be a very low 1st.

I think I would rather keep Gibson.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
At least you've acknowledged that gibson is Anaheims cornerstone, and that some plugs won't pry him away from Bob's cold hands.

With that said, Anaheims still gonna say no, if only because dostal and stolarz aren't full time nhl ready.
I think samsanov becomes the starter

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
He had open heart surgery a month or two ago...sitting out the season isn't a bad thing.
yeah but he was on the ice afterwards and said his goal was to rejoin the team this season.

apparently in the last couple of days, those plans got nixed.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Price is indeed steep but Anahiem will want a great return for their franchise goalie.

Its arguable that our goaltender is the best player on this entire team. That’s how bad of shape Anaheim is in. And I’m sure Anaheim fans appreciate you showing respect with a good proposal for him.

Reactions: Rec T

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
yeah but he was on the ice afterwards and said his goal was to rejoin the team this season.

apparently in the last couple of days, those plans got nixed.

Well sure, he's insanely competitive (& probably insane too as many goalies have/seem to be...). It didn't surprise me at all to see him skating (by himself) & saying he wanted to be back in the thick of things. However, his doctors (& probably more importantly the insurance company) found out that he wanted to get back into games with people crashing into him & taking slapshots off his chest protector & said not only no but hell no. Coming back from, say a broken arm, sure let him try things out if he thinks he's ready. Surgery on his heart...yeah no, that's up to the medical professionals. If nothing else, the optics of him getting literally killed on the ice isn't that great.

I sincerely hope that this isn't the way a great career ends ... but it wouldn't overly surprise me either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad