Proposal: John Gibson to the Caps

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I know the caps might want a goalie, but that’s a *lot* to be giving up
Not for Gibson it’s not. I think the Ducks pass. It’s not an insulting offer at all. But Gibson is elite. He’s the best goalie I’ve seen this year. By a considerable margin. He’s stood on his head in every game vs the Avs.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Well sure, he's insanely competitive (& probably insane too as many goalies have/seem to be...). It didn't surprise me at all to see him skating (by himself) & saying he wanted to be back in the thick of things. However, his doctors (& probably more importantly the insurance company) found out that he wanted to get back into games with people crashing into him & taking slapshots off his chest protector & said not only no but hell no. Coming back from, say a broken arm, sure let him try things out if he thinks he's ready. Surgery on his heart...yeah no, that's up to the medical professionals. If nothing else, the optics of him getting literally killed on the ice isn't that great.

I sincerely hope that this isn't the way a great career ends ... but it wouldn't overly surprise me either.
he's not rejoining the caps based on what could happen, its because what DID happen ( still has inflammation around his heart).

I must have missed him saying that he had to shut it down this season, and was wondering where he fit in to a proposal where the caps were possibly kicking the tires on gibson.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't know the Caps players so I won't comment on them, but a young goaltender is 'not' a need for the Ducks with Dostal coming on strong in the AHL. Someone serviceable to fill the year or two until he's NHL ready perhaps, but looking to the future, probably not. Very good forwards who can actually find the back of the net might generate interest though...
I don't think it makes sense to roll the dice and put all of your chips in on 1 guy who is still developing. Sammy is 24 in 2021 as a 2015 1st round pick. So, he would be UFA in 2024, so if Dostal is good enough to push Samsomnov aside in 3 years, then you move Sammy at that time. But, you want some stability in net and not just getting a Dubynk or some former starter who has lost that job.

Washington, not many good years left in Ovy. 17 years since his draft, so he's turn 36 in September. So, like Pitt, getting to the point of pushing their chips in now for a cup, or they have to wait out the contracts of Backstrom & re-signed Ovy before they contend again for a Cup as they age but still occupy a big cap hit.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Not for Gibson it’s not. I think the Ducks pass. It’s not an insulting offer at all. But Gibson is elite. He’s the best goalie I’ve seen this year. By a considerable margin. He’s stood on his head in every game vs the Avs.

Yeah I'm sure the value is fair. That being said, not sure the caps will be willing to give up this much. Two A+ prospects (albeit with Sammy not playing so hot to start) plus a first round pick is a lot to give up for a team that is aging and in need of young players to step up soon. And in my opinion, goalies are too unpredictable to be giving up this much for. Again not saying this isn't fair value, but goalies are hard to predict and project, and giving up this much is way too much for the caps at the moment

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Gibson is what we Caps fans hope Samsonov will end up being. The price to pay to speed that development timeline up by 5 years (including the last few years of Alex Ovechkin) is a top prospect and a 1st. I personally have no issue paying that price.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Damn Gibson is overrated. That's an insane package for a goalie that isn't prime Patrick Roy.

Samsonov has played 40 games in his career and is still considered a goalie prospect. We all know how goalie prospects go. No sure thing. McMichael was a late first rounder and the 2021 first will be late. Plenty of risk on both sides but that is how trades work.

LFCTML

Nov 29, 2019
Samsonov has played 40 games in his career and is still considered a goalie prospect. We all know how goalie prospects go. No sure thing. McMichael was a late first rounder and the 2021 first will be late. Plenty of risk on both sides but that is how trades work.
At a minimum, the value is three firsts; late or not. Sure Samsonov is a goalie. But he's a good enough goalie that they used a 1st rounder to pick him. That doesn't happen all that often. And he's developing well; so is McMichael. Not a chance Gibson gets that IMO.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
At a minimum, the value is three firsts; late or not. Sure Samsonov is a goalie. But he's a good enough goalie that they used a 1st rounder to pick him. That doesn't happen all that often. And he's developing well; so is McMichael. Not a chance Gibson gets that IMO.

Fair. I personally am willing to overpay to upgrade in goal but understand the price in this case is quite high.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Vasilevsky is the only true Elite goaltender to win a cup in the last several years. Before him it was Binnington, Holtby, Matt Murray and Corey Crawford. All of which have struggled to keep a starting job, changed teams, or retired. A goaltender can steal a series but having an Elite goalie is not worth overpaying for when they rarely end up winning the Cup. Grubauer started and lost the opening 2 games of round 1 before Holtby took over in 2018 and so much had to go right for the Capitals to win.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
As a
Damn Gibson is overrated. That's an insane package for a goalie that isn't prime Patrick Roy.
As a fan that has watched Gibson give my Avs all sorts of problems in five games this year, i strongly disagree. Dude is the best goalie in the NHL, coming from an Avs fan with no dog in this fight. Gibson is elite. He’s amazing.

Reactions: WidgitRibbit

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
You also have to find a star on the Caps and take him out of the lineup. Gibson makes a hell of a lot more money than the Caps have any goalie making for a while. That $6.4M AAV isn't bad at all for a gamebreaking goaltender, but the Caps pay about $1.5M for two goaltenders at present. It's a totally different salary structure when your starting goalie makes a lot/makes nothing.

Who are you shedding to make room? Oshie? Mantha? Wilson? Carlson? Kuznetsov? You need to find a large chunk of change to remove and then replace it with something making the NHL minimum, and make the Caps better in the bargain. That's on top of all those futures you're sending Anaheim's way.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I will say this has been the most civil Gibson thread I’ve seen so far... kudos to cap fans. Even the ones that don’t like the deal have been respectful and not trashing Gibson.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Very nervous entering the playoffs this year with the Caps goaltending situation. Next year may be the last crack at it in the Ovechkin era. I hope the Caps make a bold move like this in the offseason to address starting goaltending.

Reactions: crab

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Very nervous entering the playoffs this year with the Caps goaltending situation. Next year may be the last crack at it in the Ovechkin era. I hope the Caps make a bold move like this in the offseason to address starting goaltending.

Ovi will play 5-6 more years

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The value is good but ultimately to me hinges on Samsonov. Such a physically gifted goalie - tools to be one the best in the world but the results and between the ears stuff seem inconsistent so far. But he’s still very young for a goalie. Between Samsonov and Dostal, the Ducks would have pretty good odds of finding their long-term successor in net.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I must have missed him saying that he had to shut it down this season, and was wondering where he fit in to a proposal where the caps were possibly kicking the tires on gibson.

He said that he would have to give it more time. A few months. Thats enough to take this season off the table.

Last week’s checkup showed some inflammation around the heart that now requires a few months more of rest and steady recovery.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
I would prob do that from Anaheim perspective, props to the poster for taking other team in account when making trade

I would do that also. But now that Caps don’t have a first this year. I would like to re negotiate the deal and somehow get their 2022 First round pick. I like that draft better with a late pick than this one anyway

Just my 2 cents @amjay13

Reactions: amjay13

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Depending on how the playoffs go, I may reconsider my stance on not doing this deal. I'm pretty nervous about going into the playoffs with Samsonov, Vanecek, and Anderson. I know goaltending success is pretty random but it seems less random with a talent like Gibson.

Reactions: amjay13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad