Value of: John Gibson to Carolina

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
- Unless the Ducks want to do a substantial rebuild they aren't trading Gibson
- No team who is trying to acquire a top end goalie as a finishing piece to their roster is going to a star for star trade; it's always going to be heavily futures
- If it's going to take something better than the equivalent of 4 x 1st round picks in terms of league wide value to get Gibson he's not going anywhere because no one will pay that price let alone higher than that

That's about all anyone's been saying when they say Gibson isn't moving for anything that isn't ridiculous. The Ducks want their rebuild to be quick so they can build around Gibson's talent. It's not about what Ducks fans want or think the team should do. It's an understanding of the team's situation. The question this thread is asking is "what would it take for Carolina to get Gibson from Anaheim" the answer from the start has been "more than it's reasonably worth because Anaheim isn't trying to and shouldn't trade him"

Now if all of Anaheim's futures bust and the team remains middling at best, the question of whether they'd be willing to trade Gibson to go for a longer rebuild may have a different answer than it does today. But today, the answer is clear. It would take absurdity to pry him from the Ducks.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Dostal coming, they can. would save them serious cap; 6 400 000.
Trade Fowler to boot, would save another 6 500 000, thou...i don't see anyone wanting someone like declining Cam Fowler.

Stolartz is a decent backup, he can win you games in that role.
- or get a goalie back in the trade.

What the hell, what are you talking about?
Dostal is not ready.
Gibson is a STEAL on the cap. Why would you trade an elite player that is signed longterm to under 6.5 mil a season?

Fowler just had his second best season of his career. In what way is he declining?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
So in this proposal, the Canes are trading for Gibson, so you are saying the Canes set the value of Gibson? Is that really what you are saying?

Of course not. One team doesn’t set value as either team can walk away and either keep their player or go elsewhere. It’s a negotiation.

teams decide what they are willing to take (or pay) for a player and only when they achieve agreement is value determined.

To some extent this is true, but that balance changes if one team is trying to acquire a player the other team isn't looking to part with or if a team is looking to find a buyer for a specific player. In both of those specific situations, the one team has lost quite a bit of negotiating power so "value" is set by the other team.

In a situation where ANA doesn't have any interest in selling, the onus falls on the Canes (or whoever is trying to buy) to offer enough of a premium to entice the team to part with the player and absolute value doesn't have a lot of relevance

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Dostal is not ready.
Gibson is a STEAL on the cap. Why would you trade an elite player that is signed longterm to under 6.5 mil a season?

Fowler just had his second best season of his career. In what way is he declining?

As a Habs fan who loves Price but hates his contract, I agree the Ducks would be nuts to trade Gibson. His contract expires the exact time you want it too and is a steal during his prime years unless something happens where something causes him to regress. I wouldn’t move him if I was Anaheim unless it was for anything short of a kings ransom.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Anaheim- Gibson and Rakel

Colorado- Newhook, Byram, Grubaur and 2nd 2022

I'm pretty sure COL doesn't have a 2nd for the next 2 years. But lets assume they did...In the real world, I can't see COL giving up Byram and Newhook.

Having said that, I would only be interested in moving Gibson if it brings back a young top line forward or elite talent prospects. He is the only elite talent the Ducks have so it only makes sense to move him if you are planning on a rebuild, and he bring back another elite piece.

If I were the Ducks I would take this deal. I'm sure there are still many Ducks fans that wouldn't do it and it makes sense. Why trade the Elite talent that is entering his prime signed to a GREAT contract that ends at the perfect time?

I just have more faith in the Ducks being able to develop goalies (Giggy, Bryz, Hiller, Andersen, Gibson all #1 goalies in the last 20 years) then to develop a middle 6/top 4 prospect into a top 3/2 guy.

If the Ducks do this then their rebuild will most likely be a quick one.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Dostal is not ready.

Because unlike on hfboards, in real life you have to give something to get something. The higher value asset you give up, the higher value asset(s) you get back.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Because unlike on hfboards, in real life you have to give something to get something. The higher value asset you give up, the higher value asset(s) you get back.

Your mistake is thinking the Ducks want to trade Gibson at all, and that what you offered is enough to convince them to do so.

Reactions: HanSolo

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Your mistake is thinking the Ducks want to trade Gibson at all, and that what you offered is enough to convince them to do so.

Gibson is more valuable to Anaheim than his on paper performance. They're not moving him unless a team is willing to grossly overpay. The Ducks have nobody in the pipeline that has proven themselves at the NHL level, let alone proven that they can be a franchise goaltender. They can't part with Gibson unless they're doing a total teardown and from the ground up rebuild, which they are not doing. Gibson is part of their plans for the future.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Gibson is more valuable to Anaheim than his on paper performance. They're not moving him unless a team is willing to grossly overpay. The Ducks have nobody in the pipeline that has proven themselves at the NHL level, let alone proven that they can be a franchise goaltender. They can't part with Gibson unless they're doing a total teardown and from the ground up rebuild, which they are not doing. Gibson is part of their plans for the future.

I actually disagree. This isnt Lindholm, who has more value to the Ducks then anyone else due to how f***ed they would be on defense if they traded him.

Gibson is a legit elite goaltender. His value is what it is to everyone.

Reactions: Getz2noone

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This presumes Anaheim wants to trade Gibson. Which they don't. Partially because he's an elite player signed long term under 6.5 mil a year among a handful of other reasons discussed at length in this thread.

I love when these value of for untouchable player threads devolve into saying the team that has no interest in trading their untouchable player has to pay to play. Context is irrelevant I guess.

Reactions: dick341

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
As a Kings fan and, understandably, a Ducks hater, Ducks are not moving Gibson. He is arguably the best goalie in the game

Reactions: Getz2noone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad