Value of: John Gibson to Carolina

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Premise being the Ducks are rebuilding and Gibson has lots of value. Carolina stands to lose a good D in the expansion draft so can certainly afford to trade one as part of a package for a badly needed improvement in goal. Also Ducks have Dostal on the way eventually, so don't need a long-term commitment back in goal.

As far as Anaheim goes, since they're rebuilding, presumably Lindholm or Fowler could be traded for prospects /picks some time between now and the expansion draft, so whomever they acquire from Carolina(who would be much younger than whomever they trade away) could theoretically be protected.

Something around Bean, Mrazek and what plusses for Gibson?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Premise being the Ducks are rebuilding and Gibson has lots of value. Carolina stands to lose a good D in the expansion draft so can certainly afford to trade one as part of a package for a badly needed improvement in goal. Also Ducks have Dostal on the way eventually, so don't need a long-term commitment back in goal.

As far as Anaheim goes, since they're rebuilding, presumably Lindholm or Fowler could be traded for prospects /picks some time between now and the expansion draft, so whomever they acquire from Carolina(who would be much younger than whomever they trade away) could theoretically be protected.

Ducks are expected to lose a good D as well. And if one of their young guys be it Larsson, Guhle, Mahura or whomever steps up and plays well, that's another guy who will be eligible. Ducks need young RHD and I don't see Carolina offering one up.

And who do the Ducks have coming up to be their goalie in the near future?

Eriksson Ek? Durny and Dostal are their goalie prospects who are 22 and under.

None are really close to being backups in the NHL yet. Ducks have Drysdale, RHD they just drafted last draft. Also took Jackson Lacombe, a LHD in round 2 in 2019.

I don't see Bean and extra being enough for them to give up their only goalie option over the next few seasons. They have young Dmen in their system, just that the immediate prospects are not top 4 ready or maybe ever will be. That's why they signed Shatty.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The plus would be a minimum of a 1st, Suzuki, and another high pick/prospect. Gibson will not be moved for anything other than a gross overpayment as he is by far our best player, and plenty young enough to be the starting goaltender when our rebuild is complete. Dostal has done nothing to show he can be relied upon as his future successor.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The plus would be a minimum of a 1st, Suzuki, and another high pick/prospect. Gibson will not be moved for anything other than a gross overpayment as he is by far our best player, and plenty young enough to be the starting goaltender when our rebuild is complete. Dostal has done nothing to show he can be relied upon as his future successor.

As much as I don't blame you.... yep, we're out. If that's the requirement we say thanks but no thanks and give Arizona a call asking about Kuemper or Raanta.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
As much as I don't blame you.... yep, we're out. If that's the requirement we say thanks but no thanks and give Arizona a call asking about Kuemper or Raanta.
It's not a price I'd ever actually expect a team to pay, but that's why elite goaltenders who have nice long term contracts never get traded. Their value to their team will never match their trade value.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

WUT, you're kidding.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

My neutral perspective is that if I'm Carolina and I have to pay "1st, Suzuki, and another high pick/prospect" for John Gibson, I do it. It instantly turns the teams big weakness into its strength and makes them a well-rounded cup contender. There's no reason to shy away from that deal, the team has enough young star skaters to go for it now, and it won't get any easier when they're older and more expensive.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
My neutral perspective is that if I'm Carolina and I have to pay "1st, Suzuki, and another high pick/prospect" for John Gibson, I do it. It instantly turns the teams big weakness into its strength and makes them a well-rounded cup contender. There's no reason to shy away from that deal, the team has enough young star skaters to go for it now, and it won't get any easier when they're older and more expensive.

The way I'm looking at it:

Giving up just a first and Suzuki OR Bean would be a win for the Canes
Giving up a first, Suzuki, and Bean would probably be fair value wise but a tough sell
Giving up say a first, Suzuki, Bean, and Rees would be far too much to stomach making a move

Mrazek or Reimer I view as basically irrelevant here other than moving a goalie out and making the cap work.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Giving up a first, Suzuki, and Bean would probably be fair value wise but a tough sell
Giving up say a first, Suzuki, Bean, and Rees would be far too much to stomach making a move

Mrazek or Reimer I view as basically irrelevant here other than moving a goalie out and making the cap work.
I don’t think they asked for Bean.
Gibson for Suzuki, a 1st which be like an early 2nd at 30 or 31st, and Rees.
So you keep the beans, bean, bean...

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

When is the last time a goalie was traded for that much? Has there been one in the last 20 years?

Gibson isn’t going anywhere and Carolinas front office doesn’t seem like the type to spend that much on a goalie.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The market for elite goaltenders just isn't a thing, imo. The only thing that makes one of them available is if they want out, their contract is expiring, or if there is a second, also elite player behind them. As the Ducks turn the corner of their rebuild the one thing they won't have to worry about is goaltending. If they trade Gibson then suddenly all of their stock is in Kevin Boyle to become the next best thing. You just don't trade the arguable best-goalie in the league unless you are forced to, due to how irreplacable they are. There isn't a deal that can reasonably keep the Ducks satisfied in net while also trading out Gibson, there's nothing that could come ever reasonably come from a deal like this.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The original proposal was Mrazek and Bean +

The quoted post was asking for the plus on top of that to be a 1st, Suzuki, and another prospect.
But then lots of Anaheim fans said they don’t need your D so I figured it was instead.
Maybe with A goalie going back.
If Gibson is the difference between a cup and not it’s a heavy cost but one worth making.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
If you believe Shattenkirk, he says part of the reason he signed with Anaheim was due to Bob telling him the rebuild is over and they want to return to being a competitor / in the mix.

While many Anaheim fans may hope for another lottery-pick season (and even if they are trying to compete, it could still happen they fail), I think Ducks' management does feel they are good to go having stocked up on futures quite a bit these past years.

They have a potential 1C in Zegras, a potential 1D in Drysdale, a great goalie prospect in Dostal, and some youth (of which, I'd guess they expect at least a few turn into decent NHLers).

To me, moving Gibson now would completely signal they want to tank another few seasons.

If they did move him though, while goalies don't often bring in their true value in trade, you have to think Ducks would need a franchise-potential blue chipper back.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
An elite 26 year old goalie signed long term at a very reasonable number is an astronomically more attractive building block than the pile of stuff you are offering. Trading Gibson for anything short of a bounty of blue chip young talent is far more likely to set the build back for years to come. Completely backwards theory on how to improve the team.

Anaheim has and will likely continue drafting well in terms of finding NHL players with later picks, they'll never be hurting for depth. They are lacking truly elite pieces due to being a contender for so long and picking in the 20s - parting out one of the only elite young players they have for downgrades + non elite futures is the absolute worst move they could make.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
An elite 26 year old goalie signed long term at a very reasonable number is an astronomically more attractive building block than the pile of stuff you are offering. Trading Gibson for anything short of a bounty of blue chip young talent is far more likely to set the build back for years to come. Completely backwards theory on how to improve the team.

Anaheim has and will likely continue drafting well in terms of finding NHL players with later picks, they'll never be hurting for depth. They are lacking truly elite pieces due to being a contender for so long and picking in the 20s - parting out one of the only elite young players they have for downgrades + non elite futures is the absolute worst move they could make.
Who is asking about a 26 year old goalie?

before anyone loses their shit, I’m deliberately joking about Gibson being 27

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBigLetowski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad