Proposal: John Eichel for both of OTT's 1st rd picks today (pre-lottery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What is the story about why he is called Jack if his name doesn't even have Jack in it according to Wikipedia?

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
So what do thy do instead? Stay the course and hope something magically changes? I hear a lot of people saying dont trade him, but no one coming up with a solution. They are a bottom 5 team with him so what is going to change?
There's a lot they can do...Get a new GM, and overhaul the secondary players...Get rid of all the losers that have been here too long...Get some new blood in...Add a 2c and roll.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Best case: Draft 1 and 2
Worst case: Draft 5 and 6
Likely: 2 and 3, 2 and 4, 3 and 4

well of course if Ottawa's picks end up being #1 and #2, the Sabres would likely be interested in making an Eichel trade for the top 2 picks but then Ottawa would not be. why would you if you can get a guy like Lafreniere and he has a chance to be every bit as good as Eichel is? plus you can also get Stutzle or Drysdale as well? o_O

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Ok, well that makes no sense. Also weird that he goes by a nickname rather than actual name.
It’s not only a nickname. In Eichel’s case, I would imagine he doesn’t consider it a nickname either.

But either way, it’s not up to you to tell people what their names are.

And which part doesn’t make sense to you?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
There's a lot they can do...Get a new GM, and overhaul the secondary players...Get rid of all the losers that have been here too long...Get some new blood in...Add a 2c and roll.
Can you be more specific? I think they believe they did that starting with ROR continuing to all the "depth" they thought they had last season. They are pretty trapped with $15M going to Okposo and Skinner for seemingly the rest of eternity and they both have some sort of NTC/NMC. Free agents, at least the good ones, dont want to sign there because its Buffalo. Cozens hopefully fills out that 2C spot, but obviously no guarantee there.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
you could tack on another 1st round pick and I still woulndt bite. A trade like that buries Buffalo as a franchise.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
you could tack on another 1st round pick and I still woulndt bite. A trade like that buries Buffalo as a franchise.
But 4 1st round picks (at least 3 in the top 7 and your added on one) doesnt help rebuild it? That is my whole point. You arent winning with Eichel. You have no clue how to build around him. So what next?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
But 4 1st round picks (at least 3 in the top 7 and your added on one) doesnt help rebuild it? That is my whole point. You arent winning with Eichel. You have no clue how to build around him. So what next?

well that train of thought only makes sense if you believe the baseless and troll-like statement of “you aren’t winning with eichel.”

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
well that train of thought only makes sense if you believe the baseless and troll-like statement of “you aren’t winning with eichel.”
How is that trolling? I stated a fact. Maybe I should have re-worded it better, but the Sabres have shown they cannot win with him (so far) and have shown no signs of changing anything, so why should we believe the future is going to be any different?

23rd
26th
31st
27th
25th

Stick to the process right?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
How is that trolling? I stated a fact. Maybe I should have re-worded it better, but the Sabres have shown they cannot win with him (so far) and have shown no signs of changing anything, so why should we believe the future is going to be any different?

23rd
26th
31st
27th
25th

Stick to the process right?
Last year they were 5th worst after that start? Crap.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Sabres should keep eichel. Trading him for these picks would be taking a step back, which is not what the sabres should do

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Ott owns their own and SJ's 1st rd picks. Curious if either side would hypothetically entertain this. Obviously we need to finish the season and/or see how trades work with the draft still.

Buf: You're not winning with Eichel (obviously) so trade him before he inevitably requests said trade and maximize the value speeding up another rebuild. And of course have 2 lottery spots in this years draft.

Best case: Draft 1 and 2
Worst case: Draft 5 and 6
Likely: 2 and 3, 2 and 4, 3 and 4

Ott: Going to get two amazing players either way in the draft, but Eichel today dramatically speeds up your rebuild.

nope

it is a good draft in the top ten and sens will get two good picks

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It’s not only a nickname. In Eichel’s case, I would imagine he doesn’t consider it a nickname either.

But either way, it’s not up to you to tell people what their names are.

And which part doesn’t make sense to you?

How Jack is equal to John. I get Will and Bill and Rob and Bob, but Jack and John don't even sound the same.

Reactions: Heldig

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Lol, neither team does this.

Buffalo trades a proven player for magic beans. Ottawa trades potentially two Jack Eichel's for one.

Also, the team with a broke owner takes on lots of salary. The team with an owner that has cash sends money out.

Value wise, it's hard to say. Two high, but unknown how high, picks, for a player that's already top 10 or 15 in the NHL? Hard to say on this one.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
So what do thy do instead? Stay the course and hope something magically changes? I hear a lot of people saying dont trade him, but no one coming up with a solution. They are a bottom 5 team with him so what is going to change?
Until they find competent management there's really nothing you can do. Trading your best players because they can't build a winner around them doesn't help turn you into a winner.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
How Jack is equal to John. I get Will and Bill and Rob and Bob, but Jack and John don't even sound the same.

Idk maybe you should travel back to 10th century England and ask. It's just tradition. And it's common as hell. I can't believe you've never heard of this before. John F. Kennedy was called Jack. Jack Nicholson is actually John Nicholson. I'm sure there are a thousand more examples.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Would be a really bad idea for Buffalo and set them back even further. It's basically like kicking the entire team in the junk.

No bueno.

The Jesus, your avatar photo is perhaps the best I've ever seen. And this trade is hilarious fun even if 110% unrealistic.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Until they find competent management there's really nothing you can do. Trading your best players because they can't build a winner around them doesn't help turn you into a winner.
I hate being the guy looking at a username and assuming, but that would be completely different statement coming from a Penguins fan compared to an Oilers fan. Not that the Oilers had competent management until now, but they tanked over and over and proved you cant guarantee a winner that way.

Obviously the Oilers have not done well with a half decade of high picks, but the Penguins sold off Jagr, Kovalev, Samuelsson, and Straka which paved the way for Fleury, Malkin, Staal, and Crosby.

The Sabres, IMO, didnt tank properly. They did for McDavid and settled for Eichel, tried immediately via free agency/trades, then realized they weren't ready and went for Dahlin, tried immediately via free agency/trades, and boom were not ready again. they have one superstar, one soon to be superstar, some horrible old player contracts, and a bunch of meh depth. That is not the recipe for success.

I keep saying it and no one has an answer, but what now? I guess the plan is to hope Cozens fits in perfectly at 2C and it revives Skinner. You have a decent 3rd line that is offensively anemic, but solid defensively. The defense is pretty bad, but were hoping Dahlin turns that around single handedly. Goaltending...well crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad