Proposal: John Eichel for both of OTT's 1st rd picks today (pre-lottery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I agree with you in that Byram has top pairing potential and that you can’t just look at his stats without context. My whole argument was that Byram currently hasn’t done anything to say he is worth more than Hughes. I also believe it to be disingenuous to say Hughes will just be some undersized winger. Considering younger centers will get broken into the NHL and later transition back to center.
I guess my whole point is that Hughes, and Kakko even, have taken a step back even thought it is taking a step forward playing actual NHL games. Sure, they could come around, but everyone is disappointed in them so far right? So fair to say assuming we know what we know now, Dach or Byram could be argued to pass or at least be more on their level them in a redraft already. And my point with Byram specifically is the value in D now compared to forwards, especially wingers.

Im biased here, but I also think Byram will get an asterisk on him with posters saying its the team around him/secondary assists/etc since I expect instant success being in Makar's shadow. Where the other 3 were on junk teams.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Awesome of you to simply put in the names that suits you best to make your point somewhat valid.

You could also have had:

2014 - Reinhart (2) and Draisaitl (3) for Eichel

2016 - Laine (2) and Dubois (3) for Eichel

2017 - Heinskanen (3) and Pettersson (5) for Eichel.

2018 - Svechnikov (2) and hughes (7) for Eichel

I didn’t even wanted to include the #1 overall pick in these choices because it would’ve been too easy to do.

Definitely would not do 2016 or 2018 that’s for sure

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
righhhhhht. Coulda or maybe couldn’t have. Hence the no to mystery boxes.

and please go ahead and try to argue that the majority of top 3 picks are better than eichel (they aren’t). So odds are not in Buffalo’s favor, right?
You're not wrong. It is a gamble. Whole argument from Buffalo's side is do you believe you can win with Eichel and Co? Or do you hit the reset button cap wise, and get two cost controlled potentially holy crap ELC's and rebuild around Dahlin, Cozens, Mystery 1, mystery 2.

Lets assume you do this trade. You now have your 3 picks in between 1-7. You can keep them all and likely do very well. You can package that #7 pick moving Okposo and/or Skinner magically. Then all of a sudden, the Sabres have a real blank slate to suck for one more year, hopefully get #1-2 overall in the 2021 draft and boom, you have an entirely new team. Sorry, it gets me excited to think about compared the crap we've seen the past 2 seasons. I dont have hope for next as we are right now.

Ottawa already has an insane prospect pool so throwing Eichel in now (ignoring Melnyk being cheap) instantly can make them a contender.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I guess my whole point is that Hughes, and Kakko even, have taken a step back even thought it is taking a step forward playing actual NHL games. Sure, they could come around, but everyone is disappointed in them so far right? So fair to say assuming we know what we know now, Dach or Byram could be argued to pass or at least be more on their level them in a redraft already. And my point with Byram specifically is the value in D now compared to forwards, especially wingers.

Im biased here, but I also think Byram will get an asterisk on him with posters saying its the team around him/secondary assists/etc since I expect instant success being in Makar's shadow. Where the other 3 were on junk teams.

How many times do someone needs to tell you that Hughes is a Center? Also, considering how average Byram season have been you have to think that he would have been even worst than both Hughes and Kakko had he played in Colorado this season.

That being said, I also think that this year draft is going to be much stronger than last year. Most of the draft eligible players that played in the WJC in December played as good if not outplayed the ones drafted last year.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Definitely would not do 2016 or 2018 that’s for sure

Really?

Laine (RW - 21): 63 pts in 68 games
Dubois (C - 21): 49 pts in 70 games

Svechnikov (RW - 19): 61 pts in 68 games
Hughes (LHD - 20): 53 pts in 68 games

Eichel (C - 23): 78 pts in 68 games

Hard to argue that anyone would turn down these trades in the Sabres position

Svechnikov and Hughes combined is going to be better than Eichel.

Combined? They already are at 19 and 20 years old.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
How many times do someone needs to tell you that Hughes is a Center? Also, considering how average Byram season have been you have to think that he would have been even worst than both Hughes and Kakko had he played in Colorado this season.

That being said, I also think that this year draft is going to be much stronger than last year. Most of the draft eligible players that played in the WJC in December played as good if not outplayed the ones drafted last year.
*does someone need
*Byram's season has been;
*worse

Wow that was difficult to read. And I was referring to Kakko being winger.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Really?

Laine (RW - 21): 63 pts in 68 games
Dubois (C - 21): 49 pts in 70 games

Svechnikov (RW - 19): 61 pts in 68 games
Hughes (LHD - 20): 53 pts in 68 games

Eichel (C - 23): 78 pts in 68 games

Hard to argue that anyone would turn down these trades in the Sabres position

Combined? They already are at 19 and 20 years old.

It’s not like these things are just additive. I don’t think you would take 2 50 point players over 1 85 point player, for example.

1C’s are hard enough to find, let alone a 23 year old top 5-6 centre in the league.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Svechnikov and Hughes combined is going to be better than Eichel.

But, the question is, how much faith do the Senators have in their scouting department?

It’s possible but if you’re Buffalo you don’t take that deal. Buffalo already has their stud offensive LHD in Dahlin and Svechnikov doesn’t replace the gaping hole at centre you’ve now created.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
*does someone need
*Byram's season has been;
*worse

Wow that was difficult to read. And I was referring to Kakko being winger.

Sorry, I made a couple grammar mistakes. I was born a french Canadian and speak fluent English and German. I bet you feel like a smart ass right now, don’t you?

It’s not like these things are just additive. I don’t think you would take 2 50 point players over 1 85 point player, for example.

1C’s are hard enough to find, let alone a 23 year old top 5-6 centre in the league.

None of these guys are 50 points players. 2/3 forwards there are close to being a PPG player while the other one is already a complete two-way #1 C at 21 years old. Hughes at 20 (LHD) was also closing in on a 60 points season.

FYI, Eichel posted his first PPG season at 22. I’d take both combos any time before Eichel.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Sorry, I made a couple grammar mistakes. I was born a french Canadian and speak fluent English and German. I bet you feel like a smart ass right now, don’t you?

None of these guys are 50 points players. 2/3 forwards there are close to being a PPG player while the other one is already a complete two-way #1 C at 21 years old. Hughes at 20 (LHD) was also closing in on a 60 points season.

FYI, Eichel posted his first PPG season at 22. I’d take both combos any time before Eichel.

It was just an example meant to illustrate a point.

Eichel at 20 was 11th in the league in points per game. He has had virtually no offensive support throughout his whole career. None of the forwards listed are close to him.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It was just an example meant to illustrate a point.

Eichel at 20 was 11th in the league in points per game. He has had virtually no offensive support throughout his whole career. None of the forwards listed are close to him.

Hughes is #5 in points for D at 20 and Svechnikov is #30 in points for forwards at 19.

I wouldn’t trade Eichel for either one of them straight up but combined? That’s an easy yes

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Hughes is #5 in points for D at 20 and Svechnikov is #30 in points for forwards at 19.

I wouldn’t trade Eichel for either one of them straight up but combined? That’s an easy yes

Buffalo is already struggling massively to fill the gap at centre behind Eichel. You don’t trade young elite 1C’s..

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Feels a little like Yashin for the 1st overall and Chara.

If I'm Buffalo, I would have to think about it. They're in an almost impossible spot at this point in trying to surround Eichel with good depth. Eichel's $10m hit doesn't help, but far worse are the hits for Skinner and Okposo. You don't want to trade Eichel, but if management can't find a way to build a quality team, there are already questions about ownership that can erode a team. That's only going to get worse with more losing. In 2 years, if things don't change, and Eichel demands out, you'll probably have to trade him at a discount, and you'll hope for the days when you could've gotten two top 3/5 picks in the same draft.

That doesn't seem like a deal that Ottawa would do at all. That's tens of millions of dollars for the next half dozen years. As opposed to at least a few years of just a couple million.

I feel for Buffalo. Not that Eichel is McDavid, but there's no Draisaitl to help Eichel the way McDavid at least has him as a wingman, despite the lack of depth on the Oilers roster as well. Now, if the Sabres win the lottery, then you might have something to work with. Then you can give Eichel a light at the end of the tunnel.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think Buffalo says no. Laf will be incredible but I am not sold that the other player makes up the difference between him and Eichel.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
a potential franchise player? Eichel IS a franchise player and already a top 10 player in the league.

If you have the choice between Eichel or two of Heiskanen/Makar/Petterson, you're taking the latter 10 times out of 10.

Now, there's no reason Buffalo should bet on that, but there's also no reason Ottawa should give up that opportunity.

Reactions: topshelf15

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Hypothetically, Buffalo wins the lottery with their 7th overall pick, jumps to 1. trade Eichel for 2 and 3 (assuming Ott keeps those picks with the lottery).

Now Buffalo shed $10M in cap, and will be drafting 1-2-3 in this years very good draft to compliment Dahlin and boom rebuild is done instantly. Now just haev to find a way to get rid of Okposo and Skinner.

Imagine 1-2-3, Dahlin, and Cozens. Finally have a real young team to be excited about.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Someone tell this op to stop simping for eichel #Cringe
This started a pretty good discussion from both ends at least considering the deal so value wise is on point. Is Buffalo willing to gamble for 1-2 and lose out and get 5-6? Probably not, but this is rolling the dice and could instantly reset the franchise. Is Ottawa willing to pay $10m to a proven superstar? Their owner likely says no. I get whey neither side does this, but value wise, you can easily argue it could make sense for both sides.

At least bring something positive to the discussion.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Either is part of the solution in Buffalo...he's not part of the problem...trade him for picks and the organization only goes backwards...ot would be like Ground Hog Day all over again...honestly if the Sabres were even going to think of doing that just fold the franchise or move it some where else.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Either is part of the solution in Buffalo...he's not part of the problem...trade him for picks and the organization only goes backwards...ot would be like Ground Hog Day all over again...honestly if the Sabres were even going to think of doing that just fold the franchise or move it some where else.
So what do thy do instead? Stay the course and hope something magically changes? I hear a lot of people saying dont trade him, but no one coming up with a solution. They are a bottom 5 team with him so what is going to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad