Proposal: Joel Edmundson to Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
All I see in this thread is Habs fans citing Savard and Chiarot deals as why Edmundson should net a 1st, but the more important factor as to why he won’t is the strength of the 2023 draft. The prior 2 drafts were considered weak, so teams weren’t opposed to parting with a late 1st rd pick. This year is a different animal. There will be guys available in the 20-30 range that would have been top 10 in last years draft.

I doubt we see more than 3-4 first round picks go this year at the deadline, and when they do it will be for names like Kane/Tarasenko, not Edmundson.
The 1st that Chariot was traded for is in this year's draft.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Edmundson is easily worth more than a late 1st if we retain 50% for a playoff push + another full year. 1,75m$ for a top 4 defenseman is a bargain.

Hagel trade is a comparable I think .

He’s a bit better than Chariot, better 1st pass.
Yeah but Chiarot last years just went to the last cup finals and he was among the top dmen in goals scored 2-3 months in the season. Joel hasn't played in a year and isn't exactly lighting it up. I doubt he gets a 1st tbh, hope I'm wrong.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
With another year on his deal and missing some major time I think 2nd + 3rd or equal prospect equivalent.

If he has a good year up to the deadline I could see a team with a late 1st tabling it if Montreal takes a cap dump with a year remaining to offset cap

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The 1st that Chariot was traded for is in this year's draft.
My bad, definitely overlooked that fact, but that was also a result of Florida being ultra aggressive in the position they were in (best record in the NHL) and having already traded their 2022 1st. And it doesn’t change the fact it was a dumb trade for Florida.

Also, I’d say a year out it’s hard to decipher how good the draft will be (despite it already being hyped). But I think a lot of the prospects projected as 1st rders are now exceeding expectations.

But your point is valid, Chiarot did net a 2023 1st which further supports GM’s will do dumb things out of desperation.

Reactions: red devil

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Eddy isn't going anywhere. Not until management has a better idea of where our 4 young D are headed.

The only way Eddy is traded is if Baron is ready for the big show and that's not the case yet.
Or Habs get an offer than can't refuse for him at the TDL.

Trading Eddy without getting a serviceable D back weakens our D core considerably.
Totally disagree, you trade him while he is still valuable. The guy has had injuries, but it looks like he is still playing well right now (just came back). Still fresh off that Stanley Cup finals. Get that 1st round pick while you can.

You have Guhle, Matheson, Harris and Xehkaj at LHD, with more to come (Hutson).

It's another story at RHD, but still. You can still sign a free agent in the offseason.

The D has been doing well without BOTH Eddy and Matheson. Now, Matheson is coming back soon. Eddy is expendable for sure. We are not making the playoffs anyway.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Totally disagree, you trade him while he is still valuable. The guy has had injuries, but it looks like he is still playing well right now (just came back). Still fresh off that Stanley Cup finals. Get that 1st round pick while you can.

You have Guhle, Matheson, Harris and Xehkaj at LHD, with more to come (Hutson).

It's another story at RHD, but still. You can still sign a free agent in the offseason.

The D has been doing well without BOTH Eddy and Matheson. Now, Matheson is coming back soon. Eddy is expendable for sure. We are not making the playoffs anyway.
Hutson is a RHD.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Chiarot got a 1st ++.

Ed will easily get a 1st if healthy. He was better defensively than Chiarot during the cup run. He dominated Matthews / Marner.
How stories change. When Habs fans were selling Chiarot last year he was the key to the blueline during the cup run. We aren't buying what you're selling. He's a good #4 defenseman with injury issues.

Chairot also had retention, so if you're trading Edmundson at 2M cap hit instead of the full pop you can maybe start talking 1st round picks. Maybe. But with his recent injury history, I doubt it.

• Haha
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
To be fair, Kulak was absolutely solid for the Oilers and probably one of the better TDL additions

But a 1st for Ed is gross unless I know it's gonna be pick #32
I would venture so far as to say a 1st is gross unless it's a Savard 1st (double retention, which would mean he ends up with under 1M cap hit).

ranchand

Nov 5, 2022
Thinking its more likely Eddy nets a 2nd + maybe a low level prospect like Lavoie

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
How stories change. When Habs fans were selling Chiarot last year he was the key to the blueline during the cup run. We aren't buying what you're selling. He's a good #4 defenseman with injury issues.

Chairot also had retention, so if you're trading Edmundson at 2M cap hit instead of the full pop you can maybe start talking 1st round picks. Maybe. But with his recent injury history, I doubt it.
Injuries are the potential dealbreaker. I have been consistent with that.

Reactions: viceroy

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Nope!

That's not how you rebuild.

Sorry try again!
Sorry but that is EXACTLY how you rebuild. He will be 30 in June. It depends on when HuGo think they will be a contender. If it is not within 3 years then they might as well move him and try to get a replacement+. But as he is a good 6'5" defenseman it would take a really good offer to consider moving him.

Thinking its more likely Eddy nets a 2nd + maybe a low level prospect like Lavoie
Both are garbage. Don't bother calling.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

As usual you are wrong. If he is healthy up to the trade deadline health won't come into any decision (other than presumably the acquiring team will want to know his exact injury history) and HuGo will probably want a 1st+ if there is retention.

Reactions: viceroy

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Edmunson forced himself to play through injury during our unlikely run to the finals (alongside Price and Weber, who were much more injured and just popping painkillers like it was candy). That really took its toll on him as a player health-wise, and he's been nursing and re-aggravating a back injury ever since.

Last year, after having sat for 2/3 of the season, Edmunson finally became healthy enough to play. And he was good, don't get me wrong, but he just wasn't as effective as he'd been for us up to that point. Fact of the matter is that he plain wasn't as solid as the "Steady Eddy" he'd come to be known as in Montreal by that point through his stellar play alongside Petry. You could tell he wasn't 100% but still insisted on playing.

This year, Edmunson's looked better ever since he's returned to the lineup, almost back to his old self. But we still need to see how he will hold up through the grind of the season before he ever becomes a truly attractive trade target for other teams.

So yeah, trade talks at this point are quite premature and should only be re-visited later in the year, when the playoffs picture is clearer and depending on Edmunson's health by that time. Also, it is possible that Hughes chooses to retain Edmunson until next year as well, as he is supposedly quite the positive veteran presence for this team, so any trades involving him isn't set in stone at all in the first place.

But since this answer isn't a white-hot take and this is HfBoards, I'll just say that, in a vaccum void of the real-world facts that either outright stop or majorly complicate player movement, Edmunson's trade return should be a first-round pick or equivalent prospect/package of pieces.

Those who argue otherwise either overvalue picks/prospects, or undervalue what a good veteran D can do for teams that are in "win-now" mode come playoffs time.
He made of glass

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Edmundson will fetch more than a 1st if traded this year… a first is the going rate for a rental of his caliber, (1st from cup contending team is pretty much a 2nd) he still has another year remaining (he is better, younger and has a better resume than both Savard and Chiarot) he is already cheap, MTL have the ability to retain. Probably won’t be move this year to help mentor the young Dcore.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Edmundson for Broberg with whatever add ons work! Oilers are in win now mode Edmundson fits the their need for a top 4 dman especially on the left side and Broberg fits the Habs rebuild.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Edmundson for Broberg with whatever add ons work! Oilers are in win now mode Edmundson fits the their need for a top 4 dman especially on the left side and Broberg fits the Habs rebuild.
What asset better than Edmundson are the Habs including in the deal?

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
What asset better than Edmundson are the Habs including in the deal?
Throw in a pick but at the moment Edmundson is a proven top 4 dman with a decent cap hit Broberg is a decent prospect but not to the point Habs have to add big time

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Throw in a pick but at the moment Edmundson is a proven top 4 dman with a decent cap hit Broberg is a decent prospect but not to the point Habs have to add big time
Not interested! My post should have been read like this, included something better than Edmundson or pound sand!

A throw in pick I will straight up tell you to pound sand

The Oilers are trying for a long playoff run, how is a throwin pick going to help?

If I were Holland and made Broberg available I would aim much higher than Edmundson as return

Last edited:

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I'd love Edmondson on the Oilers because a close family member of his owes me a huge favour but he just can't stay healthy

Understood. If there's one reason I could understand the Oilers not making the trade it's injury concerns.

However, I agree he wouldn't get a 2023 1st. But a 2024 1st is for sure a possibility, likely top-10 protected.

I think he would net a '23 1st+. You have to understand a team that grabs him will probably be a contender so the pick will be a low 1st.

Joel hasn't played in a year and isn't exactly lighting it up. I doubt he gets a 1st tbh, hope I'm wrong.

Lighting it up? Don't know if you knew this about him but if you're expecting points from Edmundston you'll always be disappointed.

If he has a good year up to the deadline I could see a team with a late 1st tabling it if Montreal takes a cap dump with a year remaining to offset cap

No way does MTL retain on him if we trade him this season. We won't carry that retention for a 2nd year unless the return is huge ie 1st + A level prospect.

We are not making the playoffs anyway.

We're holding the 2nd Wildcard as we speak.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Would love a veteran defensive defenseman with bite like Edmundson, bit I wouldn't sell the farm for him. The injury concerns are valid. Would Montreal consider a 2nd and Niemelainen (a guy that could provide a similar physical/stay at home element and fits into the rebuilding window?).

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Kenny traded a 2nd for kulak so I guess this is the one guy that might pay up for Edmondson lol

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Probably have to be salary coming back to the Habs as well depending on when the deal would get done. Oilers fans you would love this guy but not sure I’d pay a first for him. Some GM will though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad