Proposal: Joel Edmundson to Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
If the Habs retain 50%, then I wouldn't be surprised. You have to remember that both Kulak and Chiarot were retained to 50%.

Lol, Edmunson is better than Kulak
Kulak is good and a bit more well rounded defenseman than Edmunson, but Edmunson is much better defensively, and he's more physical too
If you're to keep Barrie, Edmunson is the perfect player to put with him

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
I would pay the first for Ed as an Oilers fan .. but Cap needs to work ..so Fog would need to go back the other way as well

EDM
2024 1st top five protected
Foegele

MTL
Edmundson

23 Draft looks to good to sacrifice the pick on Ed

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
All I see in this thread is Habs fans citing Savard and Chiarot deals as why Edmundson should net a 1st, but the more important factor as to why he won’t is the strength of the 2023 draft. The prior 2 drafts were considered weak, so teams weren’t opposed to parting with a late 1st rd pick. This year is a different animal. There will be guys available in the 20-30 range that would have been top 10 in last years draft.

I doubt we see more than 3-4 first round picks go this year at the deadline, and when they do it will be for names like Kane/Tarasenko, not Edmundson.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
All I see in this thread is Habs fans citing Savard and Chiarot deals as why Edmundson should net a 1st, but the more important factor as to why he won’t is the strength of the 2023 draft. The prior 2 drafts were considered weak, so teams weren’t opposed to parting with a late 1st rd pick. This year is a different animal. There will be guys available in the 20-30 range that would have been top 10 in last years draft.

I doubt we see more than 3-4 first round picks go this year at the deadline, and when they do it will be for names like Kane/Tarasenko, not Edmundson.
You think GMs that are on the spot like Dubas/Holland will care about the 2023 draft strenght when the trade deadline comes and they need a top 4 D?

And I'm not even talking about the teams with aging cores like Boston/Pittsburgh/Washington that are going all in for a last time...

MANY 2023 1st will be traded. It is going to be a sellers market IMO.

Edmundson, if healthy and available, will 100% bring back a 2023 1st. I expect a Muzzin-like return (1st + prospects).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
No chance he gets a 1st. He's a worse Dman then Chiarot and every GM in the league just saw how that trade worked out for Florida. NHL is a copy cat league, teams will attempt to follow Colorado's blueprint at the deadline this year.

He's also not a UFA which is a significant issue. Even if $3.5M isn't bad value for Joel, deadline deals are for rentals and GMs rarely are interested in committing to money beyond a single playoff run. What if you trade for Edmundson and he sucks bad(Which is likely), now you're stuck with $3.5M on your books for a player you don't want anymore.

I think Edmundson will get a 2nd though, and either a later round pick like a 5th or a C+/B- level prospect.

Maybe if some GM really loves his game he gets a 2024 1st with heavy protection. But there's no chance he's getting a 2023 1st, way too strong a draft.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No chance he gets a 1st. He's a worse Dman then Chiarot and every GM in the league just saw how that trade worked out for Florida. NHL is a copy cat league, teams will attempt to follow Colorado's blueprint at the deadline this year.

He's also not a UFA which is a significant issue. Even if $3.5M isn't bad value for Joel, deadline deals are for rentals and GMs rarely are interested in committing to money beyond a single playoff run. What if you trade for Edmundson and he sucks bad(Which is likely), now you're stuck with $3.5M on your books for a player you don't want anymore.

I think Edmundson will get a 2nd though, and either a later round pick like a 5th or a C+/B- level prospect.

Maybe if some GM really loves his game he gets a 2024 1st with heavy protection. But there's no chance he's getting a 2023 1st, way too strong a draft.
Chiarot got a 1st ++.

Ed will easily get a 1st if healthy. He was better defensively than Chiarot during the cup run. He dominated Matthews / Marner.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Chiarot got a 1st ++.

Ed will easily get a 1st if healthy. He was better defensively than Chiarot during the cup run. He dominated Matthews / Marner.

:laugh:

The ++ in the deal carries literally no value. A late round pick and a C- prospect hold no value.

Edmundson will not get a 1st. Maybe he gets the Manson return. I bet he gets nothing though, because I doubt he gets traded this year, especially if Montreal thinks they are getting a 1st :laugh:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
:laugh:

The ++ in the deal carries literally no value. A late round pick and a C- prospect hold no value.

Edmundson will not get a 1st. Maybe he gets the Manson return. I bet he gets nothing though, because I doubt he gets traded this year, especially if Montreal thinks they are getting a 1st :laugh:
You sound like all the doubters last deadline. Didn’t learn your lesson?? Smilanec and a 4th is still a +. Its value.

Health is the only concern with Ed.

Reactions: viceroy

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I mean look at his games played over the past 2-3 years...Montreal would want value for him being signed beyond this year on a good number. With his injury history can you commit to givng up a 1st or more for him.

If he stays in the lineup until the deadline and dominates, different story maybe

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Remember the first rule of too many HF posters when it comes to the value of Hab players...

They are worth very little to negative value.

In reality, depending on his season, if average, Edmy will get a first and maybe an average prospect. He's 6'5" 230 lbs, great contract and great defensive defenseman.

Carry on....

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Remember the first rule of too many HF posters when it comes to the value of Hab players...

They are worth very little to negative value.

In reality, depending on his season, if average, Edmy will get a first and maybe an average prospect. He's 6'5" 230 lbs, great contract and great defensive defenseman.

Carry on....

There's that arrogance

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

He's getting a 1st or he'll stay in Montreal. I actually think the extra year adds value because it's a good contract.

However, I agree he wouldn't get a 2023 1st. But a 2024 1st is for sure a possibility, likely top-10 protected.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I mean, Kulak got a 2nd (+ 7th) at TDL! LOL

Ed will get a 1st if he's available.
To be fair, Kulak was absolutely solid for the Oilers and probably one of the better TDL additions

But a 1st for Ed is gross unless I know it's gonna be pick #32

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I'd love Edmondson on the Oilers because a close family member of his owes me a huge favour but he just can't stay healthy

Edmunson forced himself to play through injury during our unlikely run to the finals (alongside Price and Weber, who were much more injured and just popping painkillers like it was candy). That really took its toll on him as a player health-wise, and he's been nursing and re-aggravating a back injury ever since.

Last year, after having sat for 2/3 of the season, Edmunson finally became healthy enough to play. And he was good, don't get me wrong, but he just wasn't as effective as he'd been for us up to that point. Fact of the matter is that he plain wasn't as solid as the "Steady Eddy" he'd come to be known as in Montreal by that point through his stellar play alongside Petry. You could tell he wasn't 100% but still insisted on playing.

This year, Edmunson's looked better ever since he's returned to the lineup, almost back to his old self. But we still need to see how he will hold up through the grind of the season before he ever becomes a truly attractive trade target for other teams.

So yeah, trade talks at this point are quite premature and should only be re-visited later in the year, when the playoffs picture is clearer and depending on Edmunson's health by that time. Also, it is possible that Hughes chooses to retain Edmunson until next year as well, as he is supposedly quite the positive veteran presence for this team, so any trades involving him isn't set in stone at all in the first place.

But since this answer isn't a white-hot take and this is HfBoards, I'll just say that, in a vaccum void of the real-world facts that either outright stop or majorly complicate player movement, Edmunson's trade return should be a first-round pick or equivalent prospect/package of pieces.

Those who argue otherwise either overvalue picks/prospects, or undervalue what a good veteran D can do for teams that are in "win-now" mode come playoffs time.

Last edited:

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not a chance would I pay one of Edmonton's few trade chips for an average defenseman, of which we have many. Either go big, or go cheaper. Maybe some team will pay a 1st, as I would never rule out the insanity of GMs, but I dearly hope it's not the Oil.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
To be fair, Kulak was absolutely solid for the Oilers and probably one of the better TDL additions

But a 1st for Ed is gross unless I know it's gonna be pick #32
To be fair, Kulak was a bottom pairing dman (on the Habs and netted a 2nd round pick. Ed is a top 4 dman when healthy and if available will easily get a 1st at TDL.

Not a chance would I pay one of Edmonton's few trade chips for an average defenseman, of which we have many. Either go big, or go cheaper. Maybe some team will pay a 1st, as I would never rule out the insanity of GMs, but I dearly hope it's not the Oil.
You may not pay but your gm might. Bottom pairing Kulak some how got a 2nd. That one was egregious. Habs fans were expecting a 4th at best but at TDL, teams over pay massively.

Reactions: viceroy and HabsQC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad