Prospect Info: Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetkarma*

Honestly, having Comrie above Hellebuyck as a prospect right now is just wrong.

It may be or may not be. One thing is Button always does his evaluations or rankings for up to 5 years down the road. Rick Ralph had a goaltending guru on several weeks ago and he was very very positive on Comrie and said he was one of the best he's seen for how he evaluates and projects goalies for the future. He did also mention Comrie ahead of Helle fwiw.

May not be right but he isn't the only one and at least one of them is a true goalie expert. Just another positive for the Jets.

I absolutely LOVE the deep depth we have accomplished in a short period of time. That's how a plan works. That's how a plan is implemented by a very astute GM.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He won't be called up unless there are a number of injuries. Calling him up would mean giving up on vets who have guaranteed contracts. Slater is here until 2018.

I'd be surprised if Slater gets re-signed. Disappointed actually. The Jets have typically had 14 forwards and 7 D on the roster. Once the deadline passes, even if they don't trade a D man i think there will be 14 forwards again.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I'd be surprised if Slater gets re-signed. Disappointed actually. The Jets have typically had 14 forwards and 7 D on the roster. Once the deadline passes, even if they don't trade a D man i think there will be 14 forwards again.

You're right. I always get Slater and Stuart mixed up. Stuart is here until 18, Slater is an UFA this July. If Jets don't make the playoffs I would blame the Thrasher vets but punish the 4th line and Halischuk and 3LJ.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It may be or may not be. One thing is Button always does his evaluations or rankings for up to 5 years down the road. Rick Ralph had a goaltending guru on several weeks ago and he was very very positive on Comrie and said he was one of the best he's seen for how he evaluates and projects goalies for the future. He did also mention Comrie ahead of Helle fwiw.

May not be right but he isn't the only one and at least one of them is a true goalie expert. Just another positive for the Jets.

I absolutely LOVE the deep depth we have accomplished in a short period of time. That's how a plan works. That's how a plan is implemented by a very astute GM.

I just realized we're insanely OT. I mean, even for me, it's a stretch to talk about our goaltenders' potential in the thread about Armia.:laugh:

I'll reply in the prospect thread!

jetkarma*

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing him or anything but Armia has had a bit of an issue with injuries since coming over to NA.

He messed up his wrist and was total garbage last year. He turned it around and was Rochester's best player but missed time with a concussion (upper body injury for like 3 weeks) and a knee problem (I think?).
I really want to see him succeed so I hope he doesn't get hurt too much.

One thing Pierre McQuire said is that sometimes you need a cattle prod to get him going. Sure the Jets feel thAt isn't a significant issue for them though.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't want to sound like I'm bashing him or anything but Armia has had a bit of an issue with injuries since coming over to NA.

He messed up his wrist and was total garbage last year. He turned it around and was Rochester's best player but missed time with a concussion (upper body injury for like 3 weeks) and a knee problem (I think?).
I really want to see him succeed so I hope he doesn't get hurt too much.

You're not bashing at all ZeroPT. It is what it is and it helps to explain one reason why a pretty talented guy isn't in the show yet. injuries are issues with both Kane and Bogo as well but some of it is a byproduct of how hard they both play the game.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He won't be called up unless there are a number of injuries. Calling him up would mean giving up on vets who have guaranteed contracts. Slater is here until 2018.

Everyone in the NHL has a guaranteed contract. Some are 2-way and some are 1 way. Galiardi has a 2-way and already has cleared waivers. Slater is a UFA after this season, Why do you think the Jets re-sign Slater for another 3 years?

In reality there are no real barriers to calling up Armia. Though the might see if they can move one of their 7-9 d-man before calling him up.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That's what I've been thinking. Armia is my bet for 1. Who is the other? When is Halischuk expected back? If I've heard anything at all about his injury I've forgotten it.

Edit:Remember Thor being a pending UFA last year. Signed one day before UFA (for 3 years!!!). The same could happen with Slater. I just hope it is only for 1 year, please. In Slater's defense he has been playing better lately.

kylehollywalter

Oct 22, 2014
Winnipeg MB
I just assumed slater gets one year and copp signs elc and is playing for ice caps next year with the intention that he replaced slater sometime next year.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
That's what I've been thinking. Armia is my bet for 1. Who is the other? When is Halischuk expected back? If I've heard anything at all about his injury I've forgotten it.

Edit:Remember Thor being a pending UFA last year. Signed one day before UFA (for 3 years!!!). The same could happen with Slater. I just hope it is only for 1 year, please. In Slater's defense he has been playing better lately.

I'd still be disappointed if Slater is re-signed, just as I was when Thorburn was.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
At nearly 22 years of age and not up with the 30th ranked team in the league I think is cause for concern on what we got. Guys like Saad, up for 3 years and taken 27 after and Jenner up for 2 and taken 21 after show this guy may not make the grade. Hope not.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
At nearly 22 years of age and not up with the 30th ranked team in the league I think is cause for concern on what we got. Guys like Saad, up for 3 years and taken 27 after and Jenner up for 2 and taken 21 after show this guy may not make the grade. Hope not.

Not concerned about that. By all accounts it was injuries that have kept him out of the NHL til now. Maybe he's injury prone? That might be a concern.

EdwardTK

Jul 3, 2014

C'moon, all do not adapt small rink quickly. He has had misfortune with injuries.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I am ok with this part Thai jet, in fact I would like to thank Buffalo for letting him bake in the over until ready.

Two things to keep in mind. Firstly our pro scouts and AHL people would be completely aware of what Joel brings to the dance and he was specifically targeted as one of the guys we wanted. He is a 21 year old prospect which is allot different than an 18 year old and that gives me allot more of comfort as far as his likelihood to convert to an NHL asset. Secondly, he spent a few seasons in Europe and has made the adjustment to the North American game which coupled with the injures and Buffalo's tank job would explain why he isn't already in the NHL.

His injuries are a mild concern to me but heck we just moved out Bogo and Kane who are guys who have to battle injuries so its all part of the swap.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd still be disappointed if Slater is re-signed, just as I was when Thorburn was.

Agree. I think we would be better off easing some of our young players in on the 4th line. Give them more than 2.5 min/gm though.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

He also stayed in Finland to serve in army which is why he's over here later.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I am ok with this part Thai jet, in fact I would like to thank Buffalo for letting him bake in the over until ready.

Two things to keep in mind. Firstly our pro scouts and AHL people would be completely aware of what Joel brings to the dance and he was specifically targeted as one of the guys we wanted. He is a 21 year old prospect which is allot different than an 18 year old and that gives me allot more of comfort as far as his likelihood to convert to an NHL asset. Secondly, he spent a few seasons in Europe and has made the adjustment to the North American game which coupled with the injures and Buffalo's tank job would explain why he isn't already in the NHL.

His injuries are a mild concern to me but heck we just moved out Bogo and Kane who are guys who have to battle injuries so its all part of the swap.

Nice summation. It appears Chevy targeted 2 prospects he coveted as part of the trade. Obviously some were off the table but Chevy got 2 guys he thought would be NHLers.

ZeroPT*

It's not that Armia couldn't crack the roster. It's better for him to not be on the worst team in recent history. It also doesn't help that he struggled mightily in his first NA year and that management wanted to see more.

He's probably good enough to play in the bigs and not look totally out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad