Prospect Info: Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
They haven't said anything on Twitter about him either. I'm getting a bit worried.

They just had another blizzard, and another on the way for the weekend so maybe he just hasn't been able to get there yet.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
This is a tad odd.

I'd give him a few games in AHL and see if we can bring him up to the Bigs.
Can't see Peluso or the others on the 4th line being any better.

They haven't said anything on Twitter about him either. I'm getting a bit worried.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
They just had another blizzard, and another on the way for the weekend so maybe he just hasn't been able to get there yet.

Yeah, but no welcome tweet or anything... I dunno, maybe I'm just overthinking if. Just peculiar.

I would ask them on Twitter, but I still have no idea how that thing works, or if you even can ask questions.:laugh:

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Yes the weather out east has been absolutely terrible this year.
Even look at Boston's snowfall, just crazy.
Winnipeg has been pretty nice last few winters! Not bad at all! :handclap:
Seems like the weather patterns have shifted south and the storms now hit Chicago/Toronto/Great Lakes areas hard.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Yes the weather out east has been absolutely terrible this year.
Even look at Boston's snowfall, just crazy.
Winnipeg has been pretty nice last few winters! Not bad at all! :handclap:
Seems like the weather patterns have shifted south and the storms now hit Chicago/Toronto/Great Lakes areas hard.

Uuuh last winter in Winnipeg was truly awful.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting how Chevy has said publically twice (that I have heard) that Joel may be brought up to play for the Jets as soon as this season?

"IF" he is in fact the best player on Rochester (like his coach said) he may be ready for the Jets on the 3rd line beside Lowry and Fro now. Allot of it is going to depend on how well he plays defensively (IMO), and if we add more assets before the trade deadline. It can’t be discounted that Buffalo may just have been keeping him in Rochester lately due to parent club circumstances (preserve the tank, showcase rentals, keep key prospect away from dumpster fire etc). Also we have to remember that after our 8th best roster forward there is a huge drop off on the Jets. Thor is actually bringing the best version of himself lately but there is still a gaping hole on our 3rd line as far as opportunity cost.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Interesting how Chevy has said publically twice (that I have heard) that Joel may be brought up to play for the Jets as soon as this season?

"IF" he is in fact the best player on Rochester (like his coach said) he may be ready for the Jets on the 3rd line beside Lowry and Fro now. Allot of it is going to depend on how well he plays defensively (IMO), and if we add more assets before the trade deadline. It can’t be discounted that Buffalo may just have been keeping him in Rochester lately due to parent club circumstances (preserve the tank, showcase rentals, keep key prospect away from dumpster fire etc). Also we have to remember that after our 8th best roster forward there is a huge drop off on the Jets. Thor is actually bringing the best version of himself lately but there is still a gaping hole on our 3rd line as far as opportunity cost.

Lawless also suggested that we were likely to see Armia with the Jets before the end of the year.

I actually think that someone like that might slot into a top-2 line situation, complementing other strong players with his skill-set.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Without a doubt Arrmia is the key piece to this trade, if he's not NHL ready right now then he's pretty damn close from what I can see. Lemieux is going to be a few years away and does not have the high end puck skills Armia possesses, he's a great secondary piece but that's definitely what he is.

I would love to see the Jets give Armia a shot this season, give him a few games to get his legs under him in St. John's. How is not an immediate upgrade over Thor? He looks to have the size, speed and offensive talent. I wouldn't expect him to light it up or anything but he's going to bring more offensive attack than Thorburn. He's not a 4th line type guy, Thor can do that job, we need creative players like Armia to round out that top 9.

Given the alternative, I'd like to see them give it a shot.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Joel???

What kind of a Finnish name is that? Maybe he can wear #13?

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
Rob Sanderson tweeted:

"It's a real big loss," -#*HC Cassidy on loss of RW Joel*Armia*via trade. "He's a better kid than a player & he's a heck of a player."

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Friedman 30 thoughts

20. Armia’s an interesting case. Former Sabres GM Darcy Regier was excited abut his 17-year-old season in Finland, when he scored 18 goals in 48 games against men. But his development slowed in North America. One scout said Armia has a really good move to shoot off the half-wall, but opponents figured it out and he was very slow to adapt. He’s been better this season. AHL Rochester was in Milwaukee on Sunday, and he went down pretty hard with what looked like a bad injury. But he came back to play, which did not go unnoticed.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Rob Sanderson tweeted:

"It's a real big loss," -#*HC Cassidy on loss of RW Joel*Armia*via trade. "He's a better kid than a player & he's a heck of a player."

Don Baizley was Armia's agent and this is what he told Zinger as well, very glowing in his praise of the person! It appears to be a big part of what TNSE are trying to build around.

jetkarma*

Friedman 30 thoughts

20. Armia’s an interesting case. Former Sabres GM Darcy Regier was excited abut his 17-year-old season in Finland, when he scored 18 goals in 48 games against men. But his development slowed in North America. One scout said Armia has a really good move to shoot off the half-wall, but opponents figured it out and he was very slow to adapt. He’s been better this season. AHL Rochester was in Milwaukee on Sunday, and he went down pretty hard with what looked like a bad injury. But he came back to play, which did not go unnoticed.

One dominating move at a lower level isn't enough , lets hope he has the ability to adapt and develop. Sure the Jets are aware of this.

jetkarma*

Don Baizley was Armia's agent and this is what he told Zinger as well, very glowing in his praise of the person! It appears to be a big part of what TNSE are trying to build around.

All good and I believe it but he needs to be ale to be almost as good on the ice.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Frolik-Lowry-Armia could be an interesting line this season if the Jets are willing to bench one of Thorburn or Peluso.

Also does he not need to go through some sort of Canadian work permit type of situation? (forgive my ignorance on the topic)

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow

Thor is pretty brutal defensively so hopefully they don't let affect any decision. Other aspects of his game? sure.

Plus I think Fro and Lowry are more than good enough defensively to insulate him.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
All good and I believe it but he needs to be ale to be almost as good on the ice.

Your buddy Button thinks he is a better prospect than Andrew Copp or Connor Hellebuyck. I really like those guys, and he does too, so that is high praise.

Speaking of which, it is weird that he's downgraded Copp to a "B" prospect.

I am also surprised about how low he has Helleboy. I'm surprised as heck to see Helle below Comrie.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Frolik-Lowry-Armia could be an interesting line this season if the Jets are willing to bench one of Thorburn or Peluso.

Also does he not need to go through some sort of Canadian work permit type of situation? (forgive my ignorance on the topic)

I think they would be very ready to bench Peluso, especially as we go down the wire. Far less games where you might need his "presence", in the lineup. And in the playoffs nobody fights anyway, or the staged fight you see now.

Thorbs will likely stay in the lineup. Can see a Galiardi-Slater-Thorbs 4th line. Would love to see Chevy move a Postma+ or a 3rd rd pick for Winnik (2nd is too high, IMO)

Ladd-Little-Wheels
Perreault-Scheifele-Frolik (Stafford)
Winnik-Lowry-Stafford (Frolik)
Galiardi-Slater-Thorbs

That is three pretty decent lines. And if a guy like Armia can play, why not have him come in for a playoff run. Great experience for the kid, even playing on 4th line with Thorbs and Slater.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Your buddy Button thinks he is a better prospect than Andrew Copp or Connor Hellebuyck. I really like those guys, and he does too, so that is high praise.

I am also surprised about how low he has Helleboy. I'm surprised as heck to see Helle below Comrie.

Honestly, having Comrie above Hellebuyck as a prospect right now is just wrong.

jetkarma*

I know the least about Armia from the players we got. I mean I have a sense of his game and have seen snippets but not anywhere enough to form my own solid opinion of him.

To generalize , I think we see variances in where the prospects are ranked but are fairly close in all lists. That's not an issue for me and sometimes it is good because each fan or hockey person has unique perspective. The significant point is that we have a deep and talented prospect pool.

The building of the asset base has been accomplished and another factor is that they are with "Jet" players. That is a vital part of the makeover as well.

While not all will reach their ceilings or even be NHL contributors , the list is deep enough to not have pretenders at the top or even the mid level.

Where they are ranked is good to see IMO as everyone knows I love Copp as a mid tier player/prospect and having both Lemieux and Armia positioned where they are is some confirmation on how the Jets likely rate them and that it isn't just them that do. Personally I like the inclusion of these players as I have developed a trust in how well the Jets are rating , drafting and developing prospects. If both are at or above Copp and Helle then all is better than good for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
He won't be called up unless there are a number of injuries. Calling him up would mean giving up on vets who have guaranteed contracts. Slater is here until 2018.

ZeroPT*

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing him or anything but Armia has had a bit of an issue with injuries since coming over to NA.

He messed up his wrist and was total garbage last year. He turned it around and was Rochester's best player but missed time with a concussion (upper body injury for like 3 weeks) and a knee problem (I think?).
I really want to see him succeed so I hope he doesn't get hurt too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad