Speculation: Joe Thornton

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He was always signing in San Jose, he only waited until UFA because Marleau was going to UFA and Thornton was willing to take a discount of over 1 Million if Marleau re-signed.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Was he worth his cap hit this season? Looks like he was on pace for 50ish pts before getting injured.

Obviously not his 8M cap hit but everybody knew he wouldn't be worth that. It was a favor to him because he has taken many hometown discounts throughout his prime and Doug Wilson knew we weren't going to use the cap space anyway.

He was on pace for about 23 goals and 40 assists. Our power play went from top-3 to setting a franchise record for most games without a PP goal almost setting a league wide record for most consecutive goals at even strength when he got injured. He's a solid 2 way forward. He was actually much better this year than last year. The issue is with yet another serious knee injury that required surgery, we have no clue if he will maintain that level of play

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs don't have the cap to sign Thornton for more than one year.
But I really don't know if the Leafs have interest in THAT much even for a year. Especially after a knee injury. IMO the Leafs biggest need next isn't defence but the need to fill the centre position with the expectation of Bozak leaving. There are few UFA options. Maybe Nylander is the centre since the Leafs seem to adequate winger depth.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs don't have the cap to sign Thornton for more than one year.
But I really don't know if the Leafs have interest in THAT much even for a year. Especially after a knee injury. IMO the Leafs biggest need next isn't defence but the need to fill the centre position with the expectation of Bozak leaving. There are few UFA options. Maybe Nylander is the centre since the Leafs seem to adequate winger depth.

Nylander got an assist tonight but overall he hasn't really produced at center

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
JVR - - Matthews - - Nylander
Marleau - Thornton - Marner
Hyman - - Kadri - - Kapanen
Grundstrom- Goat - Brown

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Come on down to Toronto and take a stab at the cup! Auston will pass it to you first :naughty:

Matthews-Kadri-Thronton up the middle is absolutely ridiculous. Thornton-Nylander-Matthews on a PP unit is insane to think about. I'd love to see Thornton in the Blue+White.

GoGoSens

Oct 27, 2017
Eh I like Thornton but hes very slow, and like someone said the leafs do not need anymore forwards t hey need a dman.

Also I don't think trading Nylander for a dman is a good idea either, with the leafs losing Bozak and JVR they will not have the depth upfront next year.

Honestly they are better off signing a dman and then maybe trading a pick for someone like Pageau from the Sens, a 3rd line center is what they need.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Was he worth his cap hit this season? Looks like he was on pace for 50ish pts before getting injured.
Yes, absolutely worth the amount we paid him. Zero reservations on it (and I pay more attention to our cap health than most)

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I think he's out for the rest of the season, where do you think he will sign next year? Probably still a decent second line center.
I think Jumbo's first destination of choice in SJ.

Depending on the kind of summer they have and how he feels of their chances on winning a cup and of course if he really wants to win a cup...there's a chance he looks at another team that has a good chance. Or he signs a 1 yr deal at a reasonable cap hit with the understanding between him and the Sharks for a trade at the TDL to a team with the real shot at winning.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
SJ imo. Gives it 1-2 more years. Outside chance at Toronto. As much as I'm not a fan of Toronto, I'd be kind of interested to see how he'd fit there. That team could do some damage if they pick up Thornton and a top 4 RHD.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
SJ imo. Gives it 1-2 more years. Outside chance at Toronto. As much as I'm not a fan of Toronto, I'd be kind of interested to see how he'd fit there. That team could do some damage if they pick up Thornton and a top 4 RHD.
He'd probably be our 3rd line C behind Matthews and kadri

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He's going to do the "1 more year" thing for the next 5 years. He posted that picture last summer of signing the deal on his lawnmowner. Except every year from now he'll go more hardcore, signing contracts while skydiving, flying a plane, riding a real life shark etc.

Last edited:

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
It will be SJ, LA, Anaheim, or retirement. The Leafs are not happening, I know the man personally and he has zero interest in leaving California.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
If he wasn't staying in SJ I could see him trying Columbus. Mix of vets and kids and only 1 high tier C from being a top 4 team in the league.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If he wasn't staying in SJ I could see him trying Columbus. Mix of vets and kids and only 1 high tier C from being a top 4 team in the league.

San Jose without Thornton is still better than Columbus and I don't think Thornton makes them a top-4 team.

I could see Thornton going to Toronto, and that's about it, otherwise he's almost certainly staying here. Why would he sign in LA or Anaheim? He would still be having to move his kids and family, and he doesn't have a significantly better shot at the Cup with those teams. The only reason I could see him going to another team is money and he already has a reported net worth of between $60 and $70M and that was before he signed his $8M contract. In addition, the Sharks have plenty of cap space and the only thing that would prevent Thornton from getting well over what he is worth would be if the Sharks brought back Kane and signed Tavares. Even then Thornton could fit in around 3-4M.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
What?! You think SJ without Thorton is better then the CBJ? Do we get to be healthy? We were the #4 team in the league last year and have only fallen this year because we had Murray/Dubi/Atkinson/Wennberg out 2 monthes each and Werenski/Nuti were out a couple weeks. That's majority of last year's offense plus 3 top 4 D. Now we are our Anderson likely until the playoffs which will be about 6 weeks for him.

With Thorton next year
Panarin PLD Anderson
Foligno Thorton Atkinson
Milano Wennberg Bjorkstrand
Calvert Dubi Jenner

Z Jones
Murray Nutivaara
Cole Savard

Bob

That's a f***ing team right there

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Ad