Speculation: Joe Thornton

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I think he's out for the rest of the season, where do you think he will sign next year? Probably still a decent second line center.

Verdict is still out on if he will recover enough to suit up in teal for this year's playoffs. If he returns to full health, next season he is still a first line center caliber player, just no longer elite 1C. Again, verdict is out on IF he recovers fully (our guess is he does and will take an incentive laden 1-year next year to play in Teal). My opinion odds are something like: 80% signs with Sharks, 10% hangs em up, 10% picks another contender (Say, one of this season conference finalists).

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Verdict is still out on if he will recover enough to suit up in teal for this year's playoffs. If he returns to full health, next season he is still a first line center caliber player, just no longer elite 1C. Again, verdict is out on IF he recovers fully (our guess is he does and will take an incentive laden 1-year next year to play in Teal). My opinion odds are something like: 80% signs with Sharks, 10% hangs em up, 10% picks another contender (Say, one of this season conference finalists).

Was he worth his cap hit this season? Looks like he was on pace for 50ish pts before getting injured.

Reactions: Wingsfan 4 life

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
i don't think he wants to leave California aside from Toronto and that is due to Marleau and the lure of Matthews, Nylander, and Marner.

So in order from highest to lowest:
San Jose
Toronto
Los Angeles

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think IF he signs anywhere else it's Toronto, we already know they went after him last year, Bozak's money is coming off the books,Joe will get a significant 1, MAYBE 2 year offer

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I'm sure Marleau will be giving him a call and trying to sell him on Toronto. If he decided to leave San Jose I think Toronto is one of the few places he considers.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Thornton - Marner
Brown - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - Aaltonen - Martin

That's a pretty damn scary forward group.

If we can add a defender Toronto is a dangerous team.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Really depends on his health. He was pretty solid this year before his injury, but by the same token I’m not sure the Sharks need him back. We’ve honestly played pretty well without him. Pavelski in particular has been drastically better since Thornton went down, playing with a combo of Donskoi and Meier or Kane. It’s nice to see the Sharks can carry on without him.

It would not surprise me if he were out for the remainder of the season. There has been absolutely no updates on him in a month, no discussion of him by anyone covering the Sharks, and no timeline for when he’ll be back. Jumbo shocked us by coming back for the playoffs last season, maybe he will again this year. But that’s a shit injury for a 38 year old.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm sure Marleau will be giving him a call and trying to sell him on Toronto. If he decided to leave San Jose I think Toronto is one of the few places he considers.

Marleau - Thornton - Marner
Brown - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - Aaltonen - Martin

That's a pretty damn scary forward group.

If we can add a defender Toronto is a dangerous team.

Don't like that 4th line C

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Toronto on a 1 or more likely 2 year deal at about 5M which might seem high, but it’s Bozaks 4.2 + a minor leaguer like marincin. 2 years because that’s when Marleau will be up and they can retire together.

Kapanen - Kadri - Marner
Marleau - Thornton - Brown
Johnsson - Komarov (under 2M)/Aaltonen - Leivo
Martin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->