Joe Thornton suspended 1 game for headshot on Nosek (title updated)

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Are you ****ing kidding? Kadri ran at Debrusk and cross checked him in the face like a ****ing baby. Also has been suspended every year for head contact since we all can remember. **** off with your blue glasses and worry about not getting stomped by the Bruins again.

Ya because Thornton didn’t know what he was doing there...straight headshot lol. Love your defending that

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Ya because Thornton didn’t know what he was doing there...straight headshot lol. Love your defending that
I'm not defending that, in fact if you didn't come into threads without reading previous posts you would see where I said he deserves 1-2 games no question. But for you to come in and say its "way worse than Kadri" is absolute lunacy. It's a dirty, sneaky hit, and Thornton absolutely deserves to be suspended. Kadri's is a vicious, retaliatory hit that he does EVERY YEAR.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I'm not defending that, in fact if you didn't come into threads without reading previous posts you would see where I said he deserves 1-2 games no question. But for you to come in and say its "way worse than Kadri" is absolute lunacy. It's a dirty, sneaky hit, and Thornton absolutely deserves to be suspended. Kadri's is a vicious, retaliatory hit that he does EVERY YEAR.

Lmao ya so vicious that Debrusk got up 30 seconds later and is playing today. Your hate for Kadri blinds you, the fact Thornton and Kuch got one for likely concussion causing head hits and Kadri got the series is an utter disgrace. That Columbus D is likely gone for two games

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Very foolish to let a game everyone wanted to forget effect the next. Also of all the guys to hit headshot you target Carrier. He’s maybe their least impactful forward. Luckily he’s tough- I have no doubt Marchessault would have faked an injury**

**So would have Couture

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Kadri deserved more games than Thornton for sure, but as has been said, that is mainly due to history. That said, the potential for serious injury was worse in the Thornton hit. Fortunately, both receiving players were fine.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Thornton has more plausible deniability but this still deserved another game. Intentional. Thornton seems to have his dirty plays overlooked by many but he's had a few mishaps in his time.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Thornton has more plausible deniability but this still deserved another game. Intentional. Thornton seems to have his dirty plays overlooked by many but he's had a few mishaps in his time.
If this had occured during the regular season he probably would have gotten two. However playoff suspensions are usually half of what they would be in the regular season.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
This is exactly the type of thing that they are trying to remove from the game and he gets only 1 game?
The league has been inconsistent forever when it comes to Regular Season vs Playoffs, Star vs Non-Star....

What would make you think anything would change?

I feel it is getting better, but by what metric, I'm not sure.

crzymexicanbeer

Oct 24, 2013
Davis
Dirty hit by Thornton and he has nobody to blame but himself. Easily could have been two. Sharks need all the help they can get right now, hopefully this doesnt cost them the series.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Man oh man people are so soft nowadays.

Jumbo simply skates through him. No overly exposed elbow. No extra strides. Just doesn’t avoid him.

The only problem is that it hits Nosek’s head. Man grow a set.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Fine with this. He even moves his body up-ice trying to avoid him a bit, but doesn't dive out of the way and Nose turns a bit into him. Joe got all head. 1 game sounds right even though intent wasn't there.

But that hit on Braun eh?

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Dumbo putting a player’s career in jeopardy and gets one game sounds about right for the NHL. Perron has missed what, a year and a half from concussions? Dumbo got 2 games for that.

Maybe karma can catch up to Dumbo before he retires.

Nth Turtle Reborn

Mar 15, 2019
Perron has missed what, a year and a half from concussions? Dumbo got 2 games...

That suspension was balls, Perron got smoked courtesy of a suicide pass from Blues D, Jumbo steps out of the box & buries Perron as he received the pass.

Ancient history but that suspension was BS, at least this was a legit dirty hit, i would've given him 3 on this one ftr.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Man oh man people are so soft nowadays.

Jumbo simply skates through him. No overly exposed elbow. No extra strides. Just doesn’t avoid him.

The only problem is that it hits Nosek’s head. Man grow a set.

Which... is the entire issue?

I don't see why people need to grow a set. Thornton took a shot at an opposing player's head, for no other reason than he could. Concussions are a serious problem. You're basically accusing people toughen up because they think head shots are a big deal, and they are.

What Thornton did was stupid and dangerous, and he's lucky it didn't lead to an head injury.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
League has become softer than a babes bum
Should reward players for these hits

He was rewarded, with a suspension, which is the only reward he deserves. He can take a seat.

Seriously, people, do you think you sound tough when you make light of head shots? You don't. You sound ignorant. This isn't the past, where there was less awareness of the long-term effects of head injuries. We're far more aware of the risks, so if this play is an example of people being soft you might need to educate yourself on those risks.

Short version? This isn't a toughness issue. It has nothing to do with being soft. This has to do with potential brain damage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad