Joe Sakic & Co - Record with Colorado Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Roy is handling the trade talks, then maybe we should re-name this thread?

As far as trades go:

vzemnq.jpg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sakic is saying the last word, so I guess he makes the decisions.

Yea, even if Roy may in actuality be the driving force behind what this team does, and is basically the GM while Sakic is more of a yes man, we'll never really know, so we might as well go with what they have on paper. And that's Sakic is Roy's boss and he has the final say.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
These guys are simply unreal.

From today's Denver Post: "Sakic, the newly named executive vice president of hockey operations, said he didn't interview anyone else for the job that Roy accepted".

So, we now know with certainty that nothing has changed in terms of how this organization does business. I'm left to simply hope like hell that Patrick Roy is a much better GM than Greg Sherman and Francois Giguere both were, and to hope like hell Patrick Roy is a much better coach than either Joe Sacco or Tony Granato were.

Because in the end, the Avs aren't out there looking for the best available candidates - Kroenke didn't when he promoted Sakic, and Sakic just said he didn't when he hired Roy. They're not interested in hiring the best candidates. They're only interesting in hiring the best available "Avs guys".

Unlike so many previous recent hires, here's to hoping that this time, the latest 'Avs guy' is at least somewhat close in ability to the best available candidates out there.

BusterBluth

Jan 2, 2012

From today's Denver Post: "Sakic, the newly named executive vice president of hockey operations, said he didn't interview anyone else for the job that Roy accepted".

So, we now know with certainty that nothing has changed in terms of how this organization does business. I'm left to simply hope like hell that Patrick Roy is a much better GM than Greg Sherman and Francois Giguere both were, and to hope like hell Patrick Roy is a much better coach than either Joe Sacco or Tony Granato were.

Because in the end, the Avs aren't out there looking for the best available candidates - Kroenke didn't when he promoted Sakic, and Sakic just said he didn't when he hired Roy. They're not interested in hiring the best candidates. They're only interesting in hiring the best available "Avs guys".

Unlike so many previous recent hires, here's to hoping that this time, the latest 'Avs guy' is at least somewhat close in ability to the best available candidates out there.

This x 100000000.

Don't get me wrong, I have accepted the Roy hire as it looks like he will bring something to this roster and organization that was lacking since 2005.

That being said, I do not agree with the hiring process (Not even ONE interview outside of the organization? How is that committed to winning?). The thing that really gets me, is how quickly the fans ate it up when we were demanding for heads to roll when this practice of hiring Avs alumni was practiced in the past.

We even ate it up when the past players when Deadmarsh and Lefebvre and Deadmarsh became assistant coaches. The organization is simply pandering to previous fond memories and has done so for a while (almost losing Duchene for Foote for example). It's a joke.

[Again, to reiterate, I have accepted Roy as the choice, just kind of pissed off with the way it came about]

Huis Clos*

What more would you expect from a guy that learned under the Lacroixs and Sherman?

I'm not optimistic about Roy as a GM and coach. It's nearly unprecedented and the few examples of a person serving both roles is an awfully mixed bag. Either position is a full time role, I don't know how someone can serve as both.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
What more would you expect from a guy that learned under the Lacroixs and Sherman?

I'm not optimistic about Roy as a GM and coach. It's nearly unprecedented and the few examples of a person serving both roles is an awfully mixed bag. Either position is a full time role, I don't know how someone can serve as both.

I don't think they've often had a GM team though. Roy isnt going to be doing 100% of the gm duties.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Where do people keep getting the idea Roy will be the one making any of the moves? From the presser, he will give his input but all final decisions will be up to Sakic and Kronke.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Where do people keep getting the idea Roy will be the one making any of the moves? From the presser, he will give his input but all final decisions will be up to Sakic and Kronke.

Roy will be the point of contact for other GMs to initiate trades. Once Roy gets something in place he will go to Sakic to get the go ahead. Sakic is more or less a checks and balances system for Roy, but Roy will be the most involved.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Roy will be the one calling other GMs about trades, he'll be the one talking to free agents, and he'll even be negotiating contracts at times. This is all straight from his mouth. Sure Sakic has the final say and Roy will have to keep him informed before he starts calling about trades but he's going to be doing a lot more than just giving his input.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Roy will be the one calling other GMs about trades, he'll be the one talking to free agents, and he'll even be negotiating contracts at times. This is all straight from his mouth. Sure Sakic has the final say and Roy will have to keep him informed before he starts calling about trades but he's going to be doing a lot more than just giving his input.

Genuinely interested, what's the reference to this?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Genuinely interested, what's the reference to this?

His interview on That's Hockey (TSN) yesterday. You can find the video here. It's the third one on the right side of the page but I'm not sure if it works outside of Canada.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't think Roy really counts in the nepotism thing since he's had nothing to do with the Avalanche over the past ten years

Plus, he has at least had some appreciable degree of success in that time, so that's something.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My impression of the managerial structure is that it's similar to Columbus. Sakic is in the John Davidson type of role where he's a much more involved President than most teams, while Patrick is playing more the GM role (w/out the title) like Jarmo Kekäläinen talking trades, and being the biggest driving force behind the teams needs. While Sherman is basically who ever Kekäläinen's assistant GM is handling contract negotiations and day to day logistics stuff.

They will likely work together as a team with Craig Billington and Brad Smith taking part in the discussions, and providing input, and using info from their pro scouts.

Where it probably differs from Columbus is that Sakic is mainly the overseer, but Patrick IMO will likely be the artist putting his stamp on the team. He and Sakic will bounce ideas off each other a lot, and Sakic will have the final say, but likely not disagree with Roy much. Knowing Patrick he will be the one doing most of the talking probably, and coming up with most of the ideas, because that's what he's always thinking about.

Sakic will have to go to Kroenke to sign off on stuff, but he's basically there to make sure things are running smoothly, help ensure everyone is on the same page, and basically hold everyone accountable for their progress or lack thereof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad