Joe Sakic & Co - Record with Colorado Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Player by player evaluation sounds interesting. Man, I'd love to hear what they say about everyone.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I think so as well, but that's just pure speculation on my part.

I maintain my theory on the situation between O'Reilly and the Avs' front office was largely (possible pun intended?) Eric Lacroix. Now I've got no proof of this, but I think the timing of EL's "resignation" is suspect

It seems fairly clear now with Pierre being removed why Eric had to step aside.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think so as well, but that's just pure speculation on my part.

I maintain my theory on the situation between O'Reilly and the Avs' front office was largely (possible pun intended?) Eric Lacroix. Now I've got no proof of this, but I think the timing of EL's "resignation" is suspect

I think you're right. I mentioned this in the initial Sakic promotion thread. O'Reilly's chances of staying with the Avs just went up considerably. Even if some of the same group had a big part in the stalemate (which I think was mainly PL and EL) they can now save face and act as if they're turning the page on everything.

Stastny's chances are still very much in doubt though IMO. All three centers will have to perform very well under the next coach for them to continue down the old path I think. As it is now, I feel like they're ready to change things up with the current three center approach, and Stasnty due to his contract expiring is kind of the odd man out. Especially with the much speculated St Louis factor.

mattand1mixtape

Apr 2, 2013
I am happy for Joe. Hope that this means a new (better) era for Avalanche hockey. This offseason looks good so far.

The only thing I am really curious about is Josh Kroenke being the "successor" of PL as a president. Does he plan to get more involved now that Popeye eh Seth Jones joins the Nu.. Avs ;) or didn't they want to just hand over the far reaching power of PL to a young buck ;) like Sakic?

I personally think that the promotion of Josh Kroenke to President and Sakic to VP validates the notion that Kroenke plans to be very involved and committed to building a cup contending team. Today on 104.3 the fan here in Denver Alfred Williams and Dmack interviewed Sakic and he stated that he wouldn't have taken the position if he didn't know that the Kroenke's were committed. Al and Dmack (not being big hockey guys) did great in asking questions to Sakic that most of us true hockey fans want to know. Here is the interview for those of you who havent heard it: http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/thedrive/Story.aspx?ID=1958672

Now is Jones the reason the Kroenke's decided to get more involved? Could be, but I think it was a combination of everything that has happened in the offseason thus far. Firing coach, EL steps down, number one draft pick, hockey smart HOF'er Joe Sakic in FO looking perfect for the VP of HOCKEY operations job, this was an opportunity that Josh Kroenke could not pass up on and I am extremely happy that he realized that. I absolutely cannot wait to see what's ahead for our beloved Avalanche, only time will tell.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I personally think that the promotion of Josh Kroenke to President and Sakic to VP validates the notion that Kroenke plans to be very involved and committed to building a cup contending team. Today on 104.3 the fan here in Denver Alfred Williams and Dmack interviewed Sakic and he stated that he wouldn't have taken the position if he didn't know that the Kroenke's were committed. Al and Dmack (not being big hockey guys) did great in asking questions to Sakic that most of us true hockey fans want to know. Here is the interview for those of you who havent heard it: http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/thedrive/Story.aspx?ID=1958672

Now is Jones the reason the Kroenke's decided to get more involved? Could be, but I think it was a combination of everything that has happened in the offseason thus far. Firing coach, EL steps down, number one draft pick, hockey smart HOF'er Joe Sakic in FO looking perfect for the VP of HOCKEY operations job, this was an opportunity that Josh Kroenke could not pass up on and I am extremely happy that he realized that. I absolutely cannot wait to see what's ahead for our beloved Avalanche, only time will tell.

Agreed. I don't think he'll stick his nose in hockey decisions, and will basically let Sakic and Co run things as they see fit, but I do think he will be instrumental in guiding the group in a managerial way,

He seems to feel this is a strength of his, and from the confident and optimistic way he talked about it, I tend to believe him. I think his main job will be to keep everyone driven and pro active, and make sure the right people are part of the main group, and all paddling in the same direction. These things are actually extremely importnat for teams to handle things in a more group approach, rather than the traditional GM is the head honcho approach.

His name, and his reputation is on the line, and he's of an age where he really wants to start to prove himself, and step out of the shadow of his father probably. He ran that press conference today basically, and you got the sense that the Avalanche are his team, even if Joe is the one making most of the hockey decisions. Josh is the one overseeing everything, and apparently taking on a very active role. That's huge for this team IMO, in contrast to how things seem to have been run previously.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado

Thanks for the link to the interview. I missed it when it aired. Finally sounds like we all have something to really be optimistic about long-term.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Eric Lacroix leaving (forced to leave) and Sherman being relegated to the business side only, does that mean that all along EL was having the last word in hockey personnel decisions and that Sherman was just a frontman?

If that is true, its a testament on how shadowy things where done under Pierre Lacroix. Why would PL do that? To have his son be the GM even though he could not have named him for fear of being accused of nespotism?

Just speculation on my part but yikes!

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
There's lots of info and reactions in some of the older threads with FG and Sherman, in case you hadn't seen those. The links are at the bottom of the first post here.

It's worth a look for nostalgia, and to remember what their record was like.

Yeah my bad, didn't see any of that at first.

I gues I don't check the stickies that much. Took me a while to realize there was an "other sports" thread.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Glad to see things are finally looking up after these long 4-5 years.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Eric Lacroix leaving (forced to leave) and Sherman being relegated to the business side only, does that mean that all along EL was having the last word in hockey personnel decisions and that Sherman was just a frontman?

If that is true, its a testament on how shadowy things where done under Pierre Lacroix. Why would PL do that? To have his son be the GM even though he could not have named him for fear of being accused of nespotism?

Just speculation on my part but yikes!

The ror situation reeked of Pierre lacroix fat ass. That was all PL and son and we all knew it

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I highly doubt that Anders Carlsson is still scout. He is the GM of Rögle BK in Sweden since a month or so ago.

I don't know, he's still listed as a scout on the Avs site.

Maybe his full time job is GM over there, but he advises Pracey on what he knows of the Swedish players he sees. Could explain their lack of knowledge, and picks out of Europe.

Just an FYI, the Avs updated all the titles on their website today, and Anders Carlsson is still listed as a scout, so he probably still contributes information in some regard for them.

Billington kept the same exact title too, which is somewhat noteworthy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just throw Seth Jones up there right now. We both agree he's the pick. ;)

Thanks for creating this thread. I like having these to keep track of all the moves.

Yea, no problem. I like having them too, so I can look back on the moves that were made. I might as well do it here. These things don't seem to be kept track of anywhere, and the longer the records we have for the guys running this team, the more interesting it is to go back and check things out.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Out of curiosity...did y'all see the plans for Pierre's desk and chair to be encased in glass in the center of Sakic's office and kept as a constant reminder of excellence in sport management.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
lol.

In all seriousness though...don't be surprised when they put his name on a banner and raise it to the rafters of Pepsi Center next to Sakic, Roy, etc...

The Nugs did it with Doug Moe and the Broncos put one of the original owners in the Ring of Fame (Gerald Phipps).

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I have to say Joe gets into pretty tough situation. What to do with Stastny/ROR/Duchene situation. What to do with all RFAs/UFAs which are expiring in a season, especially, Landeskog, ROR, Duchene, McGinn, Downie, Varlamov, Elliott, Barrie etc.

I don't think It's optimal for Joe, but let's hope he survives well.

It will be interesting to see what kind of direction Joe will take this team, does he trust our current core? Varlamov, Johnson/Jones, Duchene/ROR/Landeskog?

I think it's an ideal situation for Sakic just starting out. He has pieces he can move and can craft this team to what he wants.

Remember, this is a guy who led our team to 2 Stanley Cups, he knows what it takes to be a winner, even if he hasn't seen it from a management side before.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Kirk McLean is done as the part time goalie coach. Hope Avs get a proper full time coach now.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/05/14/kirk-mclean-done-as-avalanche-goalie-coach/13169/

Wow, Joe and Kroenke continue to recognize the weaknesses of the previous administration.

This is a good sign that a full time guy could be coming. I hope it's Jussi Parkkila, Varly's old goalie coach that he has such a good relationship with, and still talks to. His contract in Russia has always been an unknown though.

Make it happen Joe. He'll be huge for Varly, and for this team. He needs someone to help him full time, to keep his mind and skills sharp on a consistent basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad