Joe Sakic & Co - Record with Colorado Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Wow, Joe and Kroenke continue to recognize the weaknesses of the previous administration.

This is a good sign that a full time guy could be coming. I hope it's Jussi Parkkila, Varly's old goalie coach that he has such a good relationship with, and still talks to. His contract in Russia has always been an unknown though.

Make it happen Joe. He'll be huge for Varly, and for this team. He needs someone to help him full time, to keep his mind and skills sharp on a consistent basis.

Seconded. Make it happen, Joe!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I agree with this.....

The Goalie Guild @TheGoalieGuild
Billington, Hackett, Thibault, McLean. Nobody holds the position for long. Find someone that can establish a system of legit development!

Replacement search can't just be about "best goalie coach for Varly" because he may not be there for long. Need someone with a track record.

Avs had FOUR rookie G's turn pro this season and two have legit NHL upside...but they won't get there without a legit support system.

Talent is there, but it's inexperienced. Avs have never developed an NHL goalie outside of Denis, Aebischer, and Budaj.

Hopefully Sakic can put the right people in place. Not just for the goalies either. We need good coaches to help all of our other young players develop as well. It doesn't matter who we draft if they keep putting guys like Sacco in charge of coaching them.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wonder what he means by that. Scouts probably have the summer off like everyone else I would imagine. Maybe he means he only talks to them leading up to the draft, and that's it. As opposed to other Avs scouts who probably are in constant contact with Pracey.

He is taking a GM role that will probably terminate his scouting job.

Seriously based on all our scouts names, he seemed like the only European scout we have. Looking forward to see who we will replace him with for Europe (if we do).

Curious question, who were our European scout(s) during the late 80s-90s where we drafted Svatos, Budaj, Hejduk, Kamensky, Krupp and traded for Forsberg????

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wonder what he means by that. Scouts probably have the summer off like everyone else I would imagine. Maybe he means he only talks to them leading up to the draft, and that's it. As opposed to other Avs scouts who probably are in constant contact with Pracey.

He's going to be a GM for some team in Sweden. So he's going to work with the Avs until the draft and then he's done.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Perfect moment to improve the European scouting. European amateur and pro scouting has been absolutely terrible for the Avs.

Has it been, or have the Avs just focused most resources and attention on prospects in North America? That may change under Sakic, who knows, but I don't know if it's a scouting issue or a directive of PL that the rebuild focus on "home-grown" prospects. I imagine after some pretty high-profile failures Lacroix soured on Euros altogether.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Seriously based on all our scouts names, he seemed like the only European scout we have. Looking forward to see who we will replace him with for Europe (if we do).

Curious question, who were our European scout(s) during the late 80s-90s where we drafted Svatos, Budaj, Hejduk, Kamensky, Krupp and traded for Forsberg????

Joni Lehto sounds like a Finn.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

He's going to be a GM for some team in Sweden. So he's going to work with the Avs until the draft and then he's done.

Oh, I misread Robin's initial post. I didn't see the "since a month ago" part. I thought he had been the GM for a while now, and he was talking about his routine with the Avs. That would make sense then that he's leaving after the draft.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Joni Lehto sounds like a Finn.

Looks like he's been the Avs European scout since the 2001-02 season. Coincidentally they picked Jonas Johansson in the 02' draft. Maybe that's why they never listen to him anymore. :sarcasm:

http://files.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=6918

Forsberg, Kamensky, Krupp, and Hejduk go back to the Nordiques days. Not a whole lot of info from back then.

Budaj and Svatos were both drafted in 01' though, and this page only lists a few guys. All of them still with the organization. None of which are listed as European or any other type of scout like Lehto is, and they're all north American.

detrude

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Apr 23, 2007

Krupp was a Buffalo pick, and Budaj and Svatos were drafted out of the CHL. Svatos played in the dub and Budaj the OHL.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Krupp was a Buffalo pick, and Budaj and Svatos were drafted out of the CHL. Svatos played in the dub and Budaj the OHL.

Adding more to the idea that the Avs never scout outside of North America.

Went back and looked at their picks out of curiosity, and going back to the 2003 draft, they've only drafted 10 guys that weren't North American. Two of which (Landy and Svagrovsky) were drafted out of the CHL.

2011 - Gabe Landeskog - Sweden (OHL) - 1st
2011 - Joachim Nermark - Sweden -4th
2010 - Sami Aittokallio - Finland - 4th
2008 - Jonas Holøs - Norway - 6th
2007 - Johan Alcén - Sweden - 7th
2007 - Jens Hellgren - Sweden - 6th
2004 - Richard Demén-Willaume - Sweden - 5th
2004 - Denis Parshin - Russia - 3rd
2003 - Linus Videll - Sweden - 7th
2003 - David Švagrovský - Czech (WHL) - 4th

Pretty much exclusively from Sweden, and almost never before the 4th round, with Landy, and Parshin being the only ones.

Compared to the 8 players scouted outside of NA, they've taken 65 North American players in that time. 39 Canadian and 26 from the US. :amazed:

Last edited:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Adding more to the idea that the Avs never scout outside of North America.

Went back and looked at their picks out of curiosity, and going back to the 2003 draft, they've only drafted 10 guys that weren't North American. Two of which (Landy and Svagrovsky) were drafted out of the WHL.

2011 - Gabe Landeskog - Sweden (WHL) - 1st
2011 - Joachim Nermark - Sweden -4th
2010 - Sami Aittokallio - Finland - 4th
2008 - Jonas Holøs - Norway - 6th
2007 - Johan Alcén - Sweden - 7th
2007 - Jens Hellgren - Sweden - 6th
2004 - Richard Demén-Willaume - Sweden - 5th
2004 - Denis Parshin - Russia - 3rd
2003 - Linus Videll - Sweden - 7th
2003 - David Švagrovský - Czech (WHL) - 4th

Pretty much exclusively from Sweden, and almost never before the 4th round, with Landy, and Parshin being the only ones.

Compared to the 8 players scouted outside of NA, they've taken 65 North American players in that time. 39 Canadian and 26 from the US. :amazed:

Don't know much about the other guy but Landeskog played in the OHL and was the captain for the Kitchener Rangers. Anyways thats a pretty depressing list except for Aittokallio who I have high hopes for. Aittokallio is my favourite goaltending prospect by far.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Don't know much about the other guy but Landeskog played in the OHL and was the captain for the Kitchener Rangers. Anyways thats a pretty depressing list except for Aittokallio who I have high hopes for. Aittokallio is my favourite goaltending prospect by far.

Agreed 100%. I love his competitive nature. I think he's the business.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Here the Avs are hardly even scouting Europe while teams Detroit and Ottawa continue to snap up talented players with later picks.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yea, true. Not sure why I said the dub.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Thanks to you and everyone else.

So basically we will just have a Finnish scout left. IMO I think we should get a Russian scout to replace the Carlsson considering Lehto can do Sweden, Finland, Denmark, and Norway. While the Russian scout can do KHL, VHL, MHL, Czech, Slovakian, and maybe DEL.

I don't think Avs care about if they draft Europeans or not, but I do think they make a big emphasis of them playing in the North American leagues (USHL, CHL, NAHL)

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Now that the organizational structure is in place I hope management gets right down to work because theres a lot to be done. Things they should do with some wishes thrown in:

1) Hammer down the final draft list
2a) Figure out who's in the long term plans and who's on the way out
2b) Figure out where they want to go with the Stastny/O'reilly situation - hopefully negotiate some extensions
3) Appoint the remaining coaching staff
4) Bring in a full time goalie coach
5) Hire a new Swedish scout and hopefully expand their European scouting presence
6) Identify guys they're going to target on July 1/possible trade targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad