Confirmed with Link: Joe Colborne (see post #75)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Would rather have given up Nemisz or that they'd just claim Adams. Oh well. Maybe this means Monahan is being sent down.

A conditional 3rd? Wonder what the conditions are? Seems like a bit much. Not really a fan at this point.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Not happy with this trade to be honest. I used to like him as a prospect, but he played like crap in the training camp for the Leafs. I wouldn't be surprised if we're waiving him at the halfway point of the season.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Not happy with this trade to be honest. I used to like him as a prospect, but he played like crap in the training camp for the Leafs. I wouldn't be surprised if we're waiving him at the halfway point of the season.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

So has Sven. I hope he does well here, maybe coming home will be good for him.

I do wish we dealt Nemisz to but you gotta think he has zero trade value.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Colborne is all kinds of awful. He's not a great skater, he doesn't pass well, his shot is terrible, he can't win faceoffs, he doesn't win board battles, he doesn't use his size and most importantly, he plays like he doesn't give a ****. No hustle, no effort, no heart. Just awful.

The Flames have always been one of the teams I like more than others so I hope he can turn it around in his hometown and work out for you guys, but I wouldn't count on it.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Leafs fan here, I always liked Colborne but he just wasnt quite good enough to make the leafs team. He'll be a good fit for a rebuilding team like the flames, his play making ability is really good, he can find people who arnt expecting to get the puck. Hopefully playing for the team he grew up cheering for will make him more willing to engage himself physically.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Colborne was disappointing in camp. We expected him to take a role on the 4th line, but lost out to Carter Ashton. Hopefully he turns it around for you guys and can make the roster. He may have 3rd line upside if he can play in more than one gear.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Leafs fan here. Ol' Jumbo Joe is, to put it in one word: frustrating. He's got good hands, a decent shot, okay passing, and okay skating for a guy his size. Talent-wise, he's pretty good. Unfortunately, he's pretty dumb, not very good in his own end or against the boards, and is pretty pathetically soft for a guy that is 6'5". Not to mention he seems to play with little urgency out there, as if he rarely gives a flying ****. At this point, he is still a step behind at the NHL level.

I'm still a fan of Colborne's and would love to see him turn it around and put it all together in Calgary, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Do we really need another bottom six centre? With players like Knight and Monahan to take that spot of third line centre, I am dissapointed with this trade despite the low cost.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Not too happy with this, we have plenty of young Cs who have proved as much or more at this point.. Really hope he proves me wrong though

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Great move IMO. Not much to give up for a young C who has showed flashes of potential and didn't play half bad for toronto last year in the playoffs.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
leafs have bozak, kadri, bolland, and mcclement, all of them offer a lot more to the leafs than colborne would

he'll get a chance here. a 6'5" center that has some decent hands, has been developing for a few years in the A, for a mere fourth round pick. How can you guys complain lol

probably the same guys that hated the move for russell as well, unbelievable

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
These are the kind of moves you make in a lower pressure, longer term rebuild.

Worth a try, the 4th is meh anyways as we will likely recoup picks at the deadline by moving some vets.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
leafs have bozak, kadri, bolland, and mcclement, all of them offer a lot more to the leafs than colborne would

he'll get a chance here. a 6'5" center that has some decent hands, has been developing for a few years in the A, for a mere fourth round pick. How can you guys complain lol

probably the same guys that hated the move for russell as well, unbelievable

I don't dislike the move, I'm just not ecstatic. We have guys like Horak, Knight, Reinhart, Granlund, etc. all trying to get spots already.. Apparently he can play wing too, so that helps.. He's definitly capable of proving me wrong, and I hope he does.

Aug 3, 2010
Don't mind this move. As I said in the main forum's thread for this:
Seeing as players beyond the third round commonly develop into nothing (there's around a 15% success rate AT BEST), a fourth rounder pick is good for a young, still-developing player with NHL experience.

Best of luck to him, perhaps Galiardi and Colborne can find some hometown boy chemistry.

Nothing wrong with it. It does smell of a Burke-type player though, but aside from that, it should be an interesting acquisition.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If this means Monahan to the OHL I am upset but on the plus side hopefully this is the new version of the Kipper deal. I think claim Adam would have been a better option.

If he ever learns to use his size he will be a useful player.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
I don't dislike the move, I'm just not ecstatic. We have guys like Horak, Knight, Reinhart, Granlund, etc. all trying to get spots already.. Apparently he can play wing too, so that helps.. He's definitly capable of proving me wrong, and I hope he does.
ever heard of healthy competition? may the best player make the team, nothing wrong with that

fits into the age group, our most important need, and a character player which Burkie and co LOVES

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
ever heard of healthy competition? may the best player make the team, nothing wrong with that

fits into the age group, our most important need, and a character player which Burkie and co LOVES

The problem is we haven't seen Colborne at camp he could easily be the worst one and yet has to go on waivers so he is guaranteed a spot on the team or we waste a 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad