Confirmed with Link: Joe Colborne (see post #75)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I disagree I still think Nemisz can be a solid 3rd liner that can play on the 2nd if needed (Moss type)

So do I but it's becoming increasingly obvious that that's not going to happen in Calgary. He's no longer even in the conversation for potential call up candidates during the season after he was among the initial camp cuts. He's been surpassed in the depth charts by guys like Bouma, Ferland, Reinhart and Knight and next year, when Arnold and Agostino make the jump, there'll be even less room for him.

Frankly, Nemisz would probably not look amiss in a 4th line role in the NHL right now but it doesn't seem the current management has any interest in giving him the opportunity. Better to just move on.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
If he came cheap sure, but not at the cost of taking Lilies with him. Flames really don't need another bottom 6 player who's soft. I'd honestly rather give Horak the chance.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Offer a 5th if they say no wait until he is on waivers.

Firstly, it's very likely someone will offer more than a 5th. So, you really risk losing him.

Secondly, if he goes on waivers, there is a real risk he'll get claimed before the Flames. So, you really risk losing him.

If the Flames think he's a viable prospect, they should offer reasonable value.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Firstly, it's very likely someone will offer more than a 5th. So, you really risk losing him.

Secondly, if he goes on waivers, there is a real risk he'll get claimed before the Flames. So, you really risk losing him.

If the Flames think he's a viable prospect, they should offer reasonable value.

The price has been set for prospects needing a new home as Ellerby, Loktionov, Brennan only got 5ths so we aren't offering more.

We would have to keep him on the roster or lose him on waivers and given how disappointing his training camp was I don't think there is a spot on this team for him and if we are going to make a spot for someone it should be for Horak who looks great.

I my offer is not only reasonable but could be overpayment considering the fact we may have to put him on waivers.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yeah I think a Nemisz for Colborne swap (sending both guys home) is the best I'd do.

The reason I don't like is idea is I don't think Colbourne makes this team so we then have to waive him and most likely loss him then atleast with Nemisz he has already passed waivers and has the year to find his game. I still think he can be a 3rd liner and I think he will prove it this year.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
Yeah I think a Nemisz for Colborne swap (sending both guys home) is the best I'd do.

The reason I don't like is idea is I don't think Colbourne makes this team so we then have to waive him and most likely loss him then atleast with Nemisz he has already passed waivers and has the year to find his game. I still think he can be a 3rd liner and I think he will prove it this year.

The Nemiez for Colborne is all I would do but the having to clear waivers is scary, and the fact that we have a bunch of young guys fighting for the same spot he would 'need' to have (else waived) just does not look like a good fit. but what do I know. :dunce:

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net

When?

And forgive me for not knowing, but where was he at camp? Is he injured right now?

Anyways, how long does this guy get? It's been 5 years, he's 23 and has not shown even a glimmer of hope IMO. He certainly won't make the team this year. We basically have Stajan/Backlund/Monahan slotted as out top 9 centers and then Bouma, Horak and Jones fighting for that 4th line spot. I'd even put Knight above Nemisz on the depth chart for that 4th line role. If he is borderline 3rd liner in the AHL, how will he ever be a successful one in the bigs?

With that said, there's no room for Colborne either really. From what Leafs fans are saying; he is playing just awful. But we could always use a big center with potential. I wouldn't be surprised if Feaster and Burke are talking about it as we speak.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
When?

And forgive me for not knowing, but where was he at camp? Is he injured right now?

Anyways, how long does this guy get? It's been 5 years, he's 23 and has not shown even a glimmer of hope IMO. He certainly won't make the team this year. We basically have Stajan/Backlund/Monahan slotted as out top 9 centers and then Bouma, Horak and Jones fighting for that 4th line spot. I'd even put Knight above Nemisz on the depth chart for that 4th line role. If he is borderline 3rd liner in the AHL, how will he ever be a successful one in the bigs?

With that said, there's no room for Colborne either really. From what Leafs fans are saying; he is playing just awful. But we could always use a big center with potential. I wouldn't be surprised if Feaster and Burke are talking about it as we speak.

Uhh I just said that he will prove it this year.

Never a glimmer of hope? How easy some forget or misremember the past. In 10-11 he was 4th in points on the Heat and 2 off leading them in points and was tied for the 2nd most goals. In 11-12 he was 5th in points on the Heat and tied for 3rd in goals. He has been mismanaged much like Irving was, the Heat were such a low scoring veteran filled team that he had a hard time establishing himself. Last year he had a bad year and fell out of favor with Ward spending most nights on the 4th line. I think this year with Ward playing a more offensive system and trying to give as many young guys as much ice time as he can and removing the vets that once stood in his way I think Nemisz is going to have a good year. Yes he had a terrible year last year but in no way does that mean he never showed promise.

I'm not saying that he is going to light the world on fire or anything but the fact that we can leave him on the Heat this year and not worry about waivers while he tries to prove himself is a big plus when I think Colborne will get waived and claimed.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Uhh I just said that he will prove it this year.

Never a glimmer of hope? How easy some forget or misremember the past. In 10-11 he was 4th in points on the Heat and 2 off leading them in points and was tied for the 2nd most goals. In 11-12 he was 5th in points on the Heat and tied for 3rd in goals. He has been mismanaged much like Irving was, the Heat were such a low scoring veteran filled team that he had a hard time establishing himself. Last year he had a bad year and fell out of favor with Ward spending most nights on the 4th line. I think this year with Ward playing a more offensive system and trying to give as many young guys as much ice time as he can and removing the vets that once stood in his way I think Nemisz is going to have a good year. Yes he had a terrible year last year but in no way does that mean he never showed promise.

I'm not saying that he is going to light the world on fire or anything but the fact that we can leave him on the Heat this year and not worry about waivers while he tries to prove himself is a big plus when I think Colborne will get waived and claimed.

I thought you meant prove it this year in the NHL. Not a chance has even gets called up this year IMO.

I hope the best for the guy. For a 1st rounder he's already a bust because now we are just praying he can atleast become a decent 3rd liner. Kinda sad really. But I hope he can finally get it together. Though a change of scenery might do him well.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I thought you meant prove it this year in the NHL. Not a chance has even gets called up this year IMO.

I hope the best for the guy. For a 1st rounder he's already a bust because now we are just praying he can atleast become a decent 3rd liner. Kinda sad really. But I hope he can finally get it together. Though a change of scenery might do him well.

No he won't prove it in the NHL, I meant he will get his game back on track on the Heat and will be given a chance next year when most of the NHL vets are gone from the team. Any player that makes in the NHL isn't a bust so with Nemisz potentially being an NHL he isn't a bust yet. The problem is people always think 1st rounder = 1st liner or 2nd liner if it is a late pick. The pressure that this kid was put under when he was drafted was terrible I mean you would have thought he was a top 10 pick the way some people went on about him. If he turns into a 3rd liner he will be just fine.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
No he won't prove it in the NHL, I meant he will get his game back on track on the Heat and will be given a chance next year when most of the NHL vets are gone from the team. Any player that makes in the NHL isn't a bust so with Nemisz potentially being an NHL he isn't a bust yet. The problem is people always think 1st rounder = 1st liner or 2nd liner if it is a late pick. The pressure that this kid was put under when he was drafted was terrible I mean you would have thought he was a top 10 pick the way some people went on about him. If he turns into a 3rd liner he will be just fine.

1st rounders SHOULD be drafted for their top end talent. Nemisz was drafted because he was ripping it up on the Spitfires.

Actually, looking at that draft class, some notables:

1. Stamkos
4. Pietrangelo
10. Hodgson
15. Karlsson
16. Colborne
22. Eberle
25. Nemisz

May 27, 2012
Earth
1st rounders SHOULD be drafted for their top end talent. Nemisz was drafted because he was ripping it up on the Spitfires.

1. Stamkos
4. Pietrangelo
10. Hodgson
15. Karlsson
16. Colborne
22. Eberle
25. Nemisz

Yeah but not everyone turns into top 6 player or top 4 Dmen. The goal is to draft someone who will develop into a NHL player and have an impact on the team...sure a guy who can produce is definitely a plus.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

1. Stamkos
4. Pietrangelo
10. Hodgson
15. Karlsson
16. Colborne
22. Eberle
25. Nemisz

:facepalm: There are only 180 top 6 spots, you can't have ever first rounder be a top 6 player there just isn't enough room. Your expectations are unrealistic.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

1. Stamkos
4. Pietrangelo
10. Hodgson
15. Karlsson
16. Colborne
22. Eberle
25. Nemisz

The Flames had the 17th overall pick in that draft but traded it for Cammalleri. The first round pick they used to pick Nemisz was acquired by trading Tanguay to the Canadians.

The Ducks picked up Jake Gardiner at 17th. Michael Del Zotto went 20th, while as mentioned, Eberle went 22nd. Interesting to think what could have been.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The Flames had the 17th overall pick in that draft but traded it for Cammalleri. The first round pick they used to pick Nemisz was acquired by trading Tanguay to the Canadians.

The Ducks picked up Jake Gardiner at 17th. Michael Del Zotto went 20th, while as mentioned, Eberle went 22nd. Interesting to think what could have been.

Yup. Had the Flames conducted proper and methodical scouting years ago, the rebuild could've been a smooth transfer of big roles to a younger generation rather than a tear-down and prayer/draft from the basement.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Liles + Colborne + 2nd

for:

Smith + Nemiez.

Done.

I'd do that without the Leafs giving up the 2nd. Regardless if the Flames don't NEED Liles and his contract, he could still provide service and stability going forward. That's important for a rebuild.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'd do that without the Leafs giving up the 2nd. Regardless if the Flames don't NEED Liles and his contract, he could still provide service and stability going forward. That's important for a rebuild.

I would agree. Liles would be the 4th best defensemen on this roster currently, right after Giordano, Wideman and Brodie. And adding him would also give the team the ability to move Butler at the deadline. Liles may be a cap dump but he could still be useful to the Flames.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I would agree. Liles would be the 4th best defensemen on this roster currently, right after Giordano, Wideman and Brodie. And adding him would also give the team the ability to move Butler at the deadline. Liles may be a cap dump but he could still be useful to the Flames.

He may be the 4th best dman, but what need is he filling besides using cap space?

Brodie plays a similar game and is miles better at doing it. Russell also plays a similar game and while he's not as good, he's a fraction of the price. I think Liles is a better player than Butler, but I'd prefer to give Butler more minutes over Liles because his play fills a bigger need. Honestly, we would be much better off going after trading for Meszaros, or signing a guy like White or Hammer. White is a great teammate in the locker room and would be a good guy to have around the kids as would Hamrlik and both could be had on 1 year deals. You trade for Liles and you likely have an unmovable liability for 3 years.

At first I thought it would be a good idea because he would slot into our top 4, but when you look at the big picture considering his fit here and cap hit, there is no reason to add him whatsoever.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
He may be the 4th best dman, but what need is he filling besides using cap space?

Brodie plays a similar game and is miles better at doing it. Russell also plays a similar game and while he's not as good, he's a fraction of the price. I think Liles is a better player than Butler, but I'd prefer to give Butler more minutes over Liles because his play fills a bigger need. Honestly, we would be much better off going after trading for Meszaros, or signing a guy like White or Hammer. White is a great teammate in the locker room and would be a good guy to have around the kids as would Hamrlik and both could be had on 1 year deals. You trade for Liles and you likely have an unmovable liability for 3 years.

At first I thought it would be a good idea because he would slot into our top 4, but when you look at the big picture considering his fit here and cap hit, there is no reason to add him whatsoever.
What need does Butler fill? He's not physical, he's just as fast as Liles, yet Liles is more offensive and jumps into the rush. Butler is just a decent PKer.

Even with a lot of offensive defensemen on this team, there will more dangers and looks from the point. I hate watching blue-liners pass the puck at no end when they just need to get it on net.

Besides, only Wideman slaps it. Brodie, Russel, and Giordano prefer wristers. I think Liles adds something different with a slapper.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad