Confirmed with Link: Joe Colborne (see post #75)

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I wish we could send him down, he has been awful.

I disagree. He's been doing very well. He's sitting on the bench, stretching his legs, and scooting over to let players on the bench.

That's all we've seen from him!

TylerSVT*

I disagree. He's been doing very well. He's sitting on the bench, stretching his legs, and scooting over to let players on the bench.

That's all we've seen from him!

Probably because he has played like donkey crap.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Colborne has looked poor imo. He is extremely weak on the puck for a 6'5 220 pound guy, he is slow and doesn't really fit in the system we are trying to play, he generally doesn't seem to know what to do with the puck. I'm still hoping he figures it out but right now he just doesn't get it.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Colborne has looked poor imo. He is extremely weak on the puck for a 6'5 220 pound guy, he is slow and doesn't really fit in the system we are trying to play, he generally doesn't seem to know what to do with the puck. I'm still hoping he figures it out but right now he just doesn't get it.

Came as advertised by Leafs fans.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the plan with Colborne is to really try and work with him in practice to refine his game so he can be useful player for us. Colborne should get more and more minutes as the season and hopefully his play progresses.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Maybe he wasn't in NHL shape this year? He can't be sent down for a conditioning stint, yet he can't keep up with the pace. He didn't seem slow to me, just that he slows down.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Maybe he wasn't in NHL shape this year? He can't be sent down for a conditioning stint, yet he can't keep up with the pace. He didn't seem slow to me, just that he slows down.

Lots of practice for him should help. Just keep working with him and perhaps he'll get it. Right now he is just too slow and doesn't think fast enough to keep up with the rest of the roster

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
To me he looks like he's playing with 0 confidence. You see the odd sign that he could become a third liner but he's playing with tunnel vision right now.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I say we throw him to the wolves. We know we got a worker in Street, but we need a face-off guy for the PK and Powerplay. Let Street handle the 5-on-5, give Colby the special teams

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I say we throw him to the wolves. We know we got a worker in Street, but we need a face-off guy for the PK and Powerplay. Let Street handle the 5-on-5, give Colby the special teams

Idk if that is the best idea but I'm 99% positive that Hartley won't do that. For Hartley only the hardest working players get to play on either pp or pk and right now Colborne just isn't winning the battles he needs to in order to get onto those teams. He lost the puck twice in our zone last game in the first due to hang on to it to long and not fighting for it and after they we barely saw him. Colborne will have have to prove himself 5v5 before he ever gets a look on either pk or pp.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
I also think he is still trying to learn the systems, he was not around for pre season so he is basically 3 weeks behind everyone, and yes I know that should only go so far. It looks like he just does not want to make a mistake out there and thinking too much

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I also think he is still trying to learn the systems, he was not around for pre season so he is basically 3 weeks behind everyone, and yes I know that should only go so far. It looks like he just does not want to make a mistake out there and thinking too much

This is true. I expect him to turn it around in time.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Unsure if you guys are watching the same hockey I am.
Like, him being soft, not using his body, speed...

He's been defensively strong, he was top 10 in the NHL in hits (Before this last game where he pretty much just sat it out), he had zip, he seemed offensively aware... he bumped his faceoff % from 20% to over 42% last I checked... Problem is, he was put in a tough scenario. Had he played the entire pre-season with Calgary, he'd be with Glencross and whoever they want to plug into the RW that night; instead he's had a couple weeks to try and learn this relatively demanding Flames style of play.

I would rather have Joe between Glencross than Street; I'll say that much... that and you people need to stop drinking the cool-aid and developing your own opinions rather than CJing on this forum with fans of other teams...

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

He's been defensively strong, he was top 10 in the NHL in hits (Before this last game where he pretty much just sat it out), he had zip, he seemed offensively aware... he bumped his faceoff % from 20% to over 42% last I checked... Problem is, he was put in a tough scenario. Had he played the entire pre-season with Calgary, he'd be with Glencross and whoever they want to plug into the RW that night; instead he's had a couple weeks to try and learn this relatively demanding Flames style of play.

I would rather have Joe between Glencross than Street; I'll say that much... that and you people need to stop drinking the cool-aid and developing your own opinions rather than CJing on this forum with fans of other teams...

I agree.
I dont think he has been bad by any means, and should be getting more of an opportunity to show what he is indeed made of.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

So people that disagree with you = drinking the cool aid. Yep got it get our own opinion but only if it agrees with yours.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

I honestly don't ever recall seeing him on the ice really. I think guys need to put the magnifying lens down and just enjoy the game.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So people that disagree with you = drinking the cool aid. Yep got it get our own opinion but only if it agrees with yours.

Nah.
It's about forming your own opinions rather than listening to the Toronto fans that came down-talking him. Before he even played a game for the Flames, Flames people on this forum were already calling him a bust, useless, lazy and non-physical.

You honestly came off the worst out of everyone, I didn't want to say it, because I tend to pick on you a lot... It's like you weren't watching the same game as I was, or haven't been following the Flames at all this year. Maybe you just can't keep your eyes off Monahan even on the bench ;) (that was a joke).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I honestly don't ever recall seeing him on the ice really. I think guys need to put the magnifying lens down and just enjoy the game.

Yeah.
I don't even bother watching hockey anymore. Just watch each individual player and write down notes so I can talk to it to a bunch of other clueless people like myself online.

Or it could be I've noticed that when that fourth line is out, there's been a lot of running and bumping. And have noticed that #8 has been involved in a lot of it.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Nah.
It's about forming your own opinions rather than listening to the Toronto fans that came down-talking him. Before he even played a game for the Flames, Flames people on this forum were already calling him a bust, useless, lazy and non-physical.

You honestly came off the worst out of everyone, I didn't want to say it, because I tend to pick on you a lot... It's like you weren't watching the same game as I was, or haven't been following the Flames at all this year. Maybe you just can't keep your eyes off Monahan even on the bench ;) (that was a joke).

Came off the worst? How I never thought bringing him was a bad idea but he has been weak on the puck and lost in the system alot. I think in a few months he will be much better but so far he has done nothing to prove himself better than Street. It seems that people that want to force him into the lineup are doing it because of his potential/draft pedigree and not what he has done as a Flames.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Nah.

Maybe those people had watched him before he played for the Flames? Just saying...

Colborne has skated better each game, but he's been far from a difference-maker. I'm more than willing to cut him slack on account of being late to the party, but he does eventually need to justify the 4th round pick. I hope that he does.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
Maybe those people had watched him before he played for the Flames? Just saying...

Colborne has skated better each game, but he's been far from a difference-maker. I'm more than willing to cut him slack on account of being late to the party, but he does eventually need to justify the 4th round pick. I hope that he does.

since when is a 4th round pick supposed to be a difference maker?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
since when is a 4th round pick supposed to be a difference maker?

Since this guy:

Gaudreau-Cellu.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad