Confirmed with Link: Joël Bouchard Named Laval Rocket Head Coach (Confirmed: Daniel Jacob Named Assistant Coach)

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
As far as the informations i have, i really don't see Zadina being drafted by the Habs now with Bouchard Bergevin and Julien mentality.

Welcome aboard Joel. Great aquisition!

I'm curious what makes you say this. What about Zadina's game would turn these guys off, and who do you expect them to draft instead?

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Yup. Desharnais, Gallagher, Pac, Subban all played under Guy and thrived.
I think that the caliber of those players might have had something to do with Boucher's success. I'm no fan of Sly but he never had anyone that good during his tenure as head coach in the AHL.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
That would be a little disappointing if that's how it plays out. The farm probably needs more attention than any GM should have the time to give.
The whole point of Bergevin divesting himself from the GM duties with the Rocket was because the days of the NHL GM running the farm team on the side are long over. Running things in Laval isn't something you can do as a part-time job. I'm sure that Bergevin liked getting paid two salaries but it's too much work for one guy to run two businesses at once.

We also don't know if this breath of fresh air is Bergevin's idea or something that Molson has imposed on him. But either way it's good for us because both Ducharme and Bouchard were eventually going to be working for an NHL club so it's nice that the Habs didn't let them slip through the cracks like they have with so many players from Quebec, like Marchessault, to name just one.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think that the caliber of those players might have had something to do with Boucher's success. I'm no fan of Sly but he never had anyone that good during his tenure as head coach in the AHL.
He had plenty to work with. Beaulieu, Hudon, Reway, McCarron, Juulsen, Scherback, Andrighetto, Carr, Lindgren, etc. Subban has had two awesome instructors for his development in Martin and Boucher, dont think hed be half as good if it wasnt for them trusting him right off the bat and seeing his potential.

Habernack

BookHockey
Feb 10, 2010
Toronto
March was a late bloomer and could have easily turned out to be an AHL all-star instead of playoff hero. bad example.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Today: Everyone is happy.
In two years if things dont go well: Told you so. Habs are doomed cause they have to hire french speaking staff. And players.

I like the hire.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Gallagher played under Sly in 2012 and actually performed better in the NHL than the AHL that year. Sly has had numerous AHL all stars vets and a fair amount of talent too. Perhaps not enough to win a Calder cup, but its fair to expect more in terms of player development and quality of play than one play-off appearance in 6 years and weak development. And that play-off appearance was in large part a herculean effort by Lindgren.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Very happy to see Bouchard and Ducharme with the habs but as long as Bergevin is still taking the decisions by himself i wont be satisfied!! I want new blood as his assistant, someone that will challenge him, that will bring a new philosophy on wich player to go after(skills,speed and hockey iq over attitude,Karakter and good without the puck).

Reactions: WeThreeKings

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Аrpon Basu‏Verified account @ArponBasu 6m6 minutes ago
The Canadiens also announced Larry Carrière will be director of player personnel for the Rocket but they will not be naming a general manager. Carrière was the general manager before. Bergevin says in the release they are "extremely satisfied" with Carrière's work.

Positive move bringing in Bouchard, but wow, the expectations of this organization are so pathetic, 6 years, one brief playoff appearance, no prospects, dead last this year, and the boss is "extremely satisfied" with Carrière's work.

Yeah he's so extremely satisfied he demoted him. Give it a think.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I know Carrière still around is disappointing. However, he's no long GM. Which to me pretty much says Bouchard will have more control than just your typical AHL coach.

But the fact Habs got both Ducharme and Bouchard is huge plus for this organization.
Next moves I'd like to see:

Larry Robinson as D coach (if he knows the modern game enough)

Somehow get Pascal Vincent and Julien Brisebois into this organization.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
He had plenty to work with. Beaulieu, Hudon, Reway, McCarron, Juulsen, Scherback, Andrighetto, Carr, Lindgren, etc. Subban has had two awesome instructors for his development in Martin and Boucher, dont think hed be half as good if it wasnt for them trusting him right off the bat and seeing his potential.
The best one's to come out of the AHL during Sly's tenure are the ones who didn't spend much time under Sly. Anyone who got stuck there longer than a season had some measure of harm done to their development. At least now we won't be afraid to let players develop on the farm for fear that they will be ruined.

Reactions: Tyson

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Don’t know why everyone hates Carrière so much. They got some great players to have a successful inaugural season. Froese is an AHL 1C, Taormina is a top offensive defender, Chris Terry is a top AHL player, the Holland for Cracknell trade was great (Bergevin made it, but I assume Carriere had input).

They put the big pieces on the team, the problem was the moronic coach that couldn’t do anything with them. It also didn’t help that the big club took Froese and Scherbak away.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I would not be surprised to se Steve Begin in the organization ! he’s a friend of Bouchard and he would be a good candidate to be an assistant to Bouchard in Laval

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad