Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Only a tiny sample but Panarin and Vesey are above 60% in both corsi and expected goals while together. 132 mins. There's something to it.
I was talking to someone today who thought we still needed a top six guy. I said we have something most teams in the flat cap dream of: a third line that can be a second line on most teams. If Panarin is back it doesn't matter if it's vesey on his line, he'll get vesey and trochek cooking.

That's not to undersell jimmy though. It's because of the player he's become. Very Fast-like.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Have to keep Vesey and Panarin together. Vesey is a stud defensively but his vision is fantastic. He plays north south and has good speed which seems to allow Panarin to feel free in everything he does. Really turned out to be a great move to get him. Every now and then can still throw Bread with Zib or even Taresenko, but I think Vesey has a home there. Fast was better at certain things but Vesey has better vision. He can hold his own there.

Reactions: skipmowerman

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I know it's something of a meme now but he's really been excellent this season. He does so many things right. Probably the best defensive forward on the team.
He just makes sound decisions with and without the puck. Gets it off his stick before it's taken away. Gets it deep in the zone often and follows the forecheck. Knows how to drive play and force the opposition into giving the puck away or making a lower percentage play. Takes the body when needed. Gets it on net when theres a lane. Doesnt get caught on a backcheck.

He isn't perfect, he's just making the patient, smart play with the puck and plays the long game.

Oh, and look!

He can still take it to the net with a fancy deke or drag a pull move to make a play, set up his teammates around the goal mouth when he could probably shoot, complete cross ice passes on the rush and complete higher risk plays when they present themselves.

The rest of the forwards should take notes.

You can actually do both.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I told @Machinehead this but I have a weird conspiracy theory that Vesey had Rangeritis with the puck until recently. He then saw he was done in the league if he didn't significantly change his game and now he's immune to any further cases of Rangeritis. He almost lost his job playing the way he was groomed to here and it's probably why we love how he plays so much

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I told @Machinehead this but I have a weird conspiracy theory that Vesey had Rangeritis with the puck until recently. He then saw he was done in the league if he didn't significantly change his game and now he's immune to any further cases of Rangeritis. He almost lost his job playing the way he was groomed to here and it's probably why we love how he plays so much
There's something seriously alarming about the way most forwards behave here and it's just here.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Jimmy should send Kweefe a nice tub of Ben and Jerry's once the Bruins advance.

Keefe is a terrible coach. Has 0 clue what an effective bottom 6 looks like. There is a reason why his stars get neutralized and the Bruins run ragged over them with the depth they have.

Harvard Jimmy is they type of guy who is going to score the game winning goal for us in the Stanley Cup Final, then wind up as our GM in 15 years.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Keefe is a terrible coach. Has 0 clue what an effective bottom 6 looks like. There is a reason why his stars get neutralized and the Bruins run ragged over them with the depth they have.

Harvard Jimmy is they type of guy who is going to score the game winning goal for us in the Stanley Cup Final, then wind up as our GM in 15 years.
I'm sure your knowledge is superior to my NHL knowledge, still I have been a Rangers fan for over 50 now. That said, what you just stated about "Harvard Jimmy" is something that I've envisioned right along side of you. I'm pretty sure this will happen. It's destiny for Jimmy and our Rangers, and his call somewhere down the line. With what he's making as a player, the org. owes him a lifelong job.

Reactions: McRanger92

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
In fairness to Keefe, Vesey was really lost as a player on the Leafs and in Buffalo. He played like a top-6 player but didn't have the skill to do so. He has really relished his role as a bottom-6 guy who PK's which has extended his career considerably

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I'm sure your knowledge is superior to my NHL knowledge, still I have been a Rangers fan for over 50 now. That said, what you just stated about "Harvard Jimmy" is something that I've envisioned right along side of you. I'm pretty sure this will happen. It's destiny for Jimmy and our Rangers, and his call somewhere down the line. With what he's making as a player, the org. owes him a lifelong job.

Yup, he just feels like a guy who belongs with the Rangers. Didnt get the timing right as a young guy breaking into the league with a declining contender, but the Prodigal Jim returned a much better player with his head screwed on a little tighter than it was when the Rangers were a bunch of frat bros his first time around. When he talked the other day about how he watches the NHL playoff races on his nights off, you can just tell he will work in hockey when his career is over.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
guy looks like the definition of "I worked my way up this origination from an internship, and now im in charge"
230px-Jimmy_Vesey_%282016%29.jpg

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Yup, he just feels like a guy who belongs with the Rangers. Didnt get the timing right as a young guy breaking into the league with a declining contender, but the Prodigal Jim returned a much better player with his head screwed on a little tighter than it was when the Rangers were a bunch of frat bros his first time around. When he talked the other day about how he watches the NHL playoff races on his nights off, you can just tell he will work in hockey when his career is over.
amen to that. just watched a highlight reel on YT. crazy seeing all the old line combos with stepan, hayes, miller, zucc, buch. i love that he's back in this role.

you need guys who can score big goals and i believe he is one of those guys.

edit: also saw him fight gus in a different video

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: McRanger92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad