Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Great well thought out reply.

Any chance you can educate me on how many 4th line players we’ve developed over the past 6 years? 16 years? 23 years?

Hope you didn’t break any blood vessels coming up with your witty response.
I'm sure our definition of 'developed' will differ, but (not including Laf :laugh:
:naughty:) bottom 6ers developed includes:
- Vesey
- Gauthier
- Howden
- Fast
- Lindberg (line ball call)
- Moore
- Boyle
- Hagelin
- Korpokoski (line ball)
- Betts
- Hollweg
- Ortmeyer
- Orr

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Not mad, just disagree on Vesey being one of the best defensive forwards in the league. Seems like he stick checks way too much when defending and is often out of position covering players in the defensive zone.
Every metric says hes one of the beat defensive fwd in hockey. This is a phenomenal deal for the rangers.

Reactions: excaliber

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
In theory, sound advice. In reality Gallant was playing Dryden Hunt on the first line last season and Vesey on the first and second line this year.
In what world are those two players better options than Kaapo Kakko and Lafrenier?
In a world where Kakko and Laf weren't producing and the coach was trying to balance his lines. Their talent and draft pedigree mean nothing if they aren't living up to it.

If you think this is unique to Gallant, then you haven't been paying attention. Every team has players like Vesey, and every coach will play them up the lineup at times.

Developing players is important, but winning is important too, and coaches get paid to win.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
In a world where Kakko and Laf weren't producing and the coach was trying to balance his lines. Their talent and draft pedigree mean nothing if they aren't living up to it.

If you think this is unique to Gallant, then you haven't been paying attention. Every team has players like Vesey, and every coach will play them up the lineup at times.

Developing players is important, but winning is important too, and coaches get paid to win.
I think you were responding wrt 2021-2022 season, because there's even less argument in the current season since both Kakko and Lafreniere generally were getting top ES regardless of what lines they were assigned to.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I've said it before, but the Cap is the worst thing to happen to sports, because it made fans care about player contracts and owner finances. This used to be such a side-note trivia kind of thing, but now it DOMINATES the conversations all too often.
Eh... I actually think hockey is better in the post-cap era even though it means less money for players.

Building a team is far more challenging and everyone gets (more or less) the same amount of player budget to manage.

And look at the Rangers organization as a whole. It's been far more consistently competitive in the post-cap era than they were in the decade leading up to it (which was a joke).

I hated the "all star" years where an aging Mark Messier, Pavel Bure, and Eric Lindross were all on the same roster and missing the playoffs together.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I 100% mean this when I say it but he's honestly a joy to watch lol

He's so strong defensively and on the forecheck and still has some skill in his passes and touches. Never done such a hard 180 on a player like I have with Vesey. f***ing hated him his first time here but now he's honestly up there as one of my favorites

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

He's so strong defensively and on the forecheck and still has some skill in his passes and touches. Never done such a hard 180 on a player like I have with Vesey. f***ing hated him his first time here but now he's honestly up there as one of my favorites

The Prodigal Son returned

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada

I wonder if he will be our nominee for the Bill Masterton Trophy ? The guy is playing incredible . NHL Records

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Vesey 2.0 reminds me of Jesper Fast in that they both work hard, have good motors, excel defensively, and have enough offensive ability that you can play them up in the lineup and they won't sink a line.

(I'm not saying I prefer having Vesey on the first line; rather, that when we do play him there, Zibanejad and whoever else he's with can still play well.)

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Vesey 2.0 reminds me of Jesper Fast in that they both work hard, have good motors, excel defensively, and have enough offensive ability that you can play them up in the lineup and they won't sink a line.

(I'm not saying I prefer having Vesey on the first line, rather, that when we do play him there, Zibanejad and whoever else he's with can still play well.)

Great comparison. Getting Vesey on essentially a 3 year/800K AAV deal rectified the miscarriage of justice that was letting Fast walk to pay Brendan Lemiuex

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Great comparison. Getting Vesey on essentially a 3 year/800K AAV deal rectified the miscarriage of justice that was letting Fast walk to pay Brendan Lemiuex
They let the million time player's player walk for 2 mil a year so they could sign a guy to 1.5 mil aav? There's no way that was actually part of the calculus.

Reactions: tlk

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
They let the million time player's player walk for 2 mil a year so they could sign a guy to 1.5 mil aav? There's no way that was actually part of the calculus.

They made cap saving decisions on Hank Staal and Fast to afford Deangelo Lemiuex and Georgiev. Epic fail

Reactions: tlk

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
never seen a player go from universally hated to universally loved by HFNYR like Vesey, and he absolutely deserves the love.

he just kicks ass
He still sucks, any player with decent skill would’ve scored 2 goals where he had easy tap ins tonight. People just aren’t mad about him being a bust after winning the Vesey sweepstakes anymore. He’s still a 4th liner who’s playing in the top 6. He’s on pace for less points than his last season as a Ranger.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He still sucks, any player with decent skill would’ve scored 2 goals where he had easy tap ins tonight. People just aren’t mad about him being a bust after winning the Vesey sweepstakes anymore. He’s still a 4th liner who’s playing in the top 6. He’s on pace for less points than his last season as a Ranger.

He’s 90000000 times better than Kravtsov.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
don’t care didn’t ask

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He doesn't suck just because he's used in a higher position than he should be. Just because a better player(who apparently we don't have) would have scored 2 goals with his chances tonight, that doesn't mean Vesey sucks. I think the expectations based on where the coach is using him is a little high.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He doesn't suck just because he's used in a higher position than he should be. Just because a better player(who apparently we don't have) would have scored 2 goals with his chances tonight, that doesn't mean Vesey sucks. I think the expectations based on where the coach is using him is a little high.

Jovos just salty that he’s stolen Kravtsovs spot.

Not every player in your top 6 needs to be an all star. Bruins are getting by just well with Pavel Zacha on their 2nd line. The way a combo plays matters way more than the names on the lines themselves. Now I think that they’d be better served flipping vesey with Tarasenko but that’s okay, Kreider and Zibanejad have been great with Vesey too.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I’d love to go back to the summer thread and see which posters were saying what a terrible signing this was. Jimmy has literally turned into the perfect utility player.

Reactions: NYROrtsFan

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Vesey has done the impossible and has elevated Panarin back to his best form. Those two have something cooking like fast and Panarin did and it's all the sweeter that he comes in under 1mil to do it.
Only a tiny sample but Panarin and Vesey are above 60% in both corsi and expected goals while together. 132 mins. There's something to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad