Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Good move, especially at that AAV. He's fine as a depth forward and PKer. The only problem with Vesey is his usage, and that's not on him.
The only reason I can see him with his usage, he’s one of the better defensive forwards on the team. I can see why they want him on the top 2 lines for defensive responsibilities

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
No risk, can be waived or demoted and all that. But I still hate it.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I hope you didn't break any bones with that giant leap
Great well thought out reply.

Any chance you can educate me on how many 4th line players we’ve developed over the past 6 years? 16 years? 23 years?

Hope you didn’t break any blood vessels coming up with your witty response.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
One big positive (i'm hoping) with this signing is this should prevent the Rangers from making those bonehead depth signings they make every year that we all hate. The Dryden Hunts, Gregg McKeggs, and Phillip di Giuseppes of our lives. Everyone's got one of them in their lives somewhere.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Does that mean Grubbe, Edstrom and Rempe just play in Hartford till they time out only then to become 4th line competent forwards on other teams.
Building a team should mean building a team that has players who have roles and those players know their roles.
I would like our organization to develop our role players. Not signing cast offs from other teams. McKegg, Carpenter, Brodzinski, Hunt Rooney, Reaves, etc…
and that’s just in the last two years.
Vesey knows his role and plays it damn well. Hes one of the best defensive forwards in hockey and he does that along with some offensive skill as well. Great PK’er all for $800K cap hit? I mean if youre mad at this, youre made the sun came up today

Reactions: ponzu4u

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
The coach is the coach and has a different agenda than the G.M.
The coach wants to ice a team that will keep him employed. Safe bet’s.
The G.M. should be limiting these low upside safe choices for the long term betterment of the team.
One step back, two step forward.
Many posters were glad when Carpenter and Hunt were waived. Chances are if they were still here Kravtsov is in the press box every game.
Has Kravtsov had some mishaps, yes. Is Kravtsov a better asset than Carpenter and Hunt, I’ll argue yes.
In the mid and long term we need more Kravtsov’s over Carpenter, Hunt, Brodzinski and Vesey.
This isn’t a new phenomenon. This has been a Ranger’s bugaboo for years.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Vesey knows his role and plays it damn well. Hes one of the best defensive forwards in hockey and he does that along with some offensive skill as well. Great PK’er all for $800K cap hit? I mean if youre mad at this, youre made the sun came up today
Not mad, just disagree on Vesey being one of the best defensive forwards in the league. Seems like he stick checks way too much when defending and is often out of position covering players in the defensive zone.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
We just got Benoit Pouliot to sign for 2 years 800K. This ain't the Sather/Gorton era no more. Prusty, Pouliot, Fast, etc. Lock up what's ours and stay cised.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What would the outrage if they resign Sammy Blais to this same contract? I can see it happening
For league minimum I probably wouldn't be that upset truthfully. But i'd like to see how he does the 2nd half of the season. I would like to see some improvement over the next 4 months. I'm giving him pretty decent amount of leeway so far since he is coming back from a catastrophic injury that normally can take a full year to get back to normal.

I feel crummy being happy a guy got less. I hate The Cap.
Yea, but in his shoes, this is the first time since his ELC that he now has contract for the next 2 1/2 years. It must feel pretty good not always wondering if and when he will get another, or having to move every year. He's probably thrilled and it was well earned.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
What would the outrage if they resign Sammy Blais to this same contract? I can see it happening
The difference is Vesey is good and Blais is not.

Removing Blais removes temptation from Gallant and in theory forces him to play someone who is hopefully better

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's good for both Vesey and the Rangers. He gets some security.....doesn't have to worry about going to camp trying to win a job without a contract and for the Rangers it's a contract that can be easily moved or buried.

It's also real competition for prospects trying to earn a job and these things shouldn't come easy. They should have to beat out someone who is a real NHL player. If they're not ready to do that then they're probably not a great option to play in the NHL.

Reactions: kovazub94

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
One player only blocks another if that player is better than the player being blocked. If players like Edstrom, Rempe, etc. aren't better than Vesey, then why would we care if they don't make the team? Work harder, get better and win that spot.

As we've seen with Carpenter, having a contract isn't a guarantee of a spot in the lineup. People claimed he was blocking Rydahl, but he wasn't. The only person blocking Rydahl is Rydahl. When he shows that he is a better option than Brodzinski, he will win the job.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
We just got Benoit Pouliot to sign for 2 years 800K. This ain't the Sather/Gorton era no more. Prusty, Pouliot, Fast, etc. Lock up what's ours and stay cised.

Thirdline Pouliot was a beast compared to Jimmy Vesey. Jimmy deserves credit for clinging onto a NHL career.

inranger94

Oct 18, 2019
Emily Kaplan is happy girl these days. Chytil scores last night and now Jimmy signed for two more years.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
God I hope Blais gets resigned here, the meltdown will be wonderful. Hahaha.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
It's good for both Vesey and the Rangers. He gets some security.....doesn't have to worry about going to camp trying to win a job without a contract and for the Rangers it's a contract that can be easily moved or buried.

It's also real competition for prospects trying to earn a job and these things shouldn't come easy. They should have to beat out someone who is a real NHL player. If they're not ready to do that then they're probably not a great option to play in the NHL.

What competition? Look at the past few seasons. it is sad that prospects like Barron, Lundkvist, Jones Gettinger, Cuylle this season in Hartford cant beat Brodzinski, Gauthier, McKegg, Nemeth and Dryden Hunt for a spot or beat them for a mid season call up. Shows the prospects are ECHL AHL tweeners at best and have no real potential. 😂

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This is a zero risk move for having an NHL capable player. You can never have enough depth especially if you intend to be competing for a playoff spot and more over the next handful of years

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Great value. Worst case, he plays like rookie Kakko and we dump his ass on waivers.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is excellent taking price and expectations into account.

Attachments

• download (5).png
    download (5).png
    109.1 KB · Views: 6

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Is all about the psyche of your youth.
Go back to the famous article by Brad Marchand.
When they go to camp or are down in the AHL all they think about is who’s ahead of them, who’s blocking them, maybe there will be an injury so they can get a chance of making their dream of being an NHL player.
I believe a successful organization wants their prospects to believe that by working hard and playing the right way there is a path for them. Vesey and all the other stop gaps just sends the wrong message.
Not Here.
Let’s not forget Vesey’s psyche. He has been a good soldier with the rangers for a pretty long time. He gets some comfort and that contract isn’t impeding any kids. I’m not even a Vesey ‘fan’ but this deal is fine. Also worth noting that they announce it pretty much as soon as it was possible. Think they have to wait til new years to announce extentions.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
One player only blocks another if that player is better than the player being blocked. If players like Edstrom, Rempe, etc. aren't better than Vesey, then why would we care if they don't make the team? Work harder, get better and win that spot.

As we've seen with Carpenter, having a contract isn't a guarantee of a spot in the lineup. People claimed he was blocking Rydahl, but he wasn't. The only person blocking Rydahl is Rydahl. When he shows that he is a better option than Brodzinski, he will win the job.
In theory, sound advice. In reality Gallant was playing Dryden Hunt on the first line last season and Vesey on the first and second line this year.
In what world are those two players better options than Kaapo Kakko and Lafrenier?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad