Prospect Info: Jimmy Snuggerud, 23rd Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The current interim head coach of the team doesn't have job security for next year. And even if the odds aren't good, the team is currently in a playoff hunt.

The people making the decisions about Snuggy in the lineup have tangible reason to care about him making mistakes. Maybe that changes by the time the Gophers end their season, but until it does it is unrealistic to think that the Blues are going to gift a top 6 role to a 19 year old to see how he does.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Snuggs is itching to get into the NHL and he will likely sign right away. I'd expect him to be the 12th forward in ice time when he debuts but I'd be surprised if he's held out. The players on the current lineup can't be trusted not to make mistakes either

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
The current interim head coach of the team doesn't have job security for next year. And even if the odds aren't good, the team is currently in a playoff hunt.

The people making the decisions about Snuggy in the lineup have tangible reason to care about him making mistakes. Maybe that changes by the time the Gophers end their season, but until it does it is unrealistic to think that the Blues are going to gift a top 6 role to a 19 year old to see how he does.
If he’s better than what is playing, then he will be in the lineup.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If he’s better than what is playing, then he will be in the lineup.
No one is saying otherwise.

The conversation was talking about slotting him into the top 6 the instant his NCAA season is over and the Blues current top 6 wingers are Buch/Schenn, Kyrou, Saad, and Neighbours. 4 of those guys are at a 25+ goal pace. The other wears the C and just recently got out of one of his prolonged slumps.

I would be very, very surprised if anyone on the Blues coaching staff or front office believes that Snuggy is currently a better NHL player than any of the 5 guys listed above. I think Snuggy has a pretty good chance of getting NHL games this year, but I think it is pretty unlikely that he gets airdropped into a top 6 role to see how he does unless his season goes long enough that the Blues are officially eliminated from playoff contention.

Reactions: Blueston

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
No one is saying otherwise.

The conversation was talking about slotting him into the top 6 the instant his NCAA season is over and the Blues current top 6 wingers are Buch/Schenn, Kyrou, Saad, and Neighbours. 4 of those guys are at a 25+ goal pace. The other wears the C and just recently got out of one of his prolonged slumps.

I would be very, very surprised if anyone on the Blues coaching staff or front office believes that Snuggy is currently a better NHL player than any of the 5 guys listed above. I think Snuggy has a pretty good chance of getting NHL games this year, but I think it is pretty unlikely that he gets airdropped into a top 6 role to see how he does unless his season goes long enough that the Blues are officially eliminated from playoff contention.
I would too, but the Blues have done it in the past. It is not something out of the ordinary. Everyone remembers the Hrkac circus and Denny Felsner. Straight out of college to the playoffs.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I'm going to laugh when he scores his first NHL goal before our offensive savant little D Perunovich
Ha. I honestly didn't realize he has not scored a goal yet in his NHL career. His production is pretty terrible for a sheltered offensive defenseman. Nice kid...I randomly was paired with him at Ruth Park couple yrs ago when he was in town for a prospect camp but the guy is not an NHL caliber defenseman on a consistent basis.

Reactions: execwrite1

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Ha. I honestly didn't realize he has not scored a goal yet in his NHL career. His production is pretty terrible for a sheltered offensive defenseman. Nice kid...I randomly was paired with him at Ruth Park couple yrs ago when he was in town for a prospect camp but the guy is not an NHL caliber defenseman on a consistent basis.
when adjusted for ice time he puts up points at the same rate as krug

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Perunovich's production is fine. If he was primary PP QB, he'd be around the 40ish point mark over a full season, which is about the minimum you'd want for someone in that role. The issue is you just can't have a Krug and a Perunovich on the same team and expect to have a good defense.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I rest my case. Krug’s offensive output is also terrible considering his usage and lack of any other skills that contribute to winning hockey.
at least those two can pass the puck out of the zone, Parayko, Leddy, and Faulk all skate the puck out of the zone well, but their passing is just ok, Kessel has been fine for a inexperienced player but is just ok to this point in his career

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Minnesota escapes Omaha and will play BU on Saturday. If they win we might get a game or two of Snuggy this year and if BU wins we could see him as early as Monday against Edmonton

Even with the loss, I wouldn’t expect him in the lineup on Monday. Way too short of a turn around. He wouldn’t have had much of a chance to get to know system or players. The think a good question might be is he healthy and if not, should we wait u til he is? Does he gain anything playing in the last few games if he isn’t 100%. But then again, is anyone 100% right now.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Even with the loss, I wouldn’t expect him in the lineup on Monday. Way too short of a turn around. He wouldn’t have had much of a chance to get to know system or players. The think a good question might be is he healthy and if not, should we wait u til he is? Does he gain anything playing in the last few games if he isn’t 100%. But then again, is anyone 100% right now.
Highly touted players from college frequently sign and go into the NHL without much chance to get to know the system or players. That's not determinative. It's far more important what his internal orientation is, and it has truly seemed like he is chomping and/or champing at the bit to get to the NHL. His dad played there, it's been his life's north star his whole life.

If he isn't fully healthy that's a whole different issue and you don't play him.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Wow, he's not even gonna make the NHL now? That's some bitter grapes. I think he'll probably make the NHL no matter how many people in Minnesota are angry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad