Prospect Info: Jimmy Snuggerud, 23rd Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The United States National Team Development Program had an extremely deep group of forwards on the Under-18 team this year. Chaska, Minnesota native Jimmy Snuggerud is part of that group. The winger scored 24 goals and 39 assists for 63 points in 58 games for the Under-18 squad, playing in the USHL and in exhibition games against NCAA competition. He also played for the American team at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Snuggerud scored three goals and four assists for seven points in six tournament games. He helped the American team to a silver medal.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
i love it

would have went higher if he found the back of the net a bit more, which he will going forward

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
My dad hated this pick and wanted Gaucher. I was happy with this pick. I remember the last pick I was happy about that my dad hated: Robert Thomas.

Needless to say, I think it's going to work out fine.

Reactions: BlueOil

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Highlights give me a bit of an Oshie-With-An-Extremely-Nasty-Shot vibe.
Don’t know a ton about Snuggerud, but was getting big Oshie vibes reading about him. Seems like a solid pick regardless!

Reactions: Blueston

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Highlights give me a bit of an Oshie-With-An-Extremely-Nasty-Shot vibe.
Oshie had better hands. Also, a better skater.

I could see a Saad comparison with better passing but slower.

I think our pick is pretty vanilla offensively. He lacks dynamism and creativity, but has hockey IQ, strong technical passing and shooting. Could be a good player, but with limited upside. I think he could be viewed similar to Neighbours.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
RW, Jimmy Snuggerud, USNTDP: Has great touch around the net, and is a fierce competitor.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

I think our pick is pretty vanilla offensively. He lacks dynamism and creativity, but has hockey IQ, strong technical passing and shooting. Could be a good player, but with limited upside. I think he could be viewed similar to Neighbours.

I always felt like Oshie's overall athleticism made up for really sub-par technical skating. Snuggerud's skating isn't fast, but it doesn't stand out to me as worse than Oshie's was.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

i remember Oshie having an odd stride when we drafted him. Pretty sure skating wasnt a strength. Same with Backes.

Personally, I like the hockey IQ and scoring ability. I don’t see him similar to Neighbors at all, who is more likely to grind and get assists then to score.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I always felt like Oshie's overall athleticism made up for really sub-par technical skating. Snuggerud's skating isn't fast, but it doesn't stand out to me as worse than Oshie's was.
Oshie seems to have better starts and stops, possibly also top end speed although this are seems closer.

Caveat: This is based on the handful of videos I have just seen.

i remember Oshie having an odd stride when we drafted him. Pretty sure skating wasnt a strength. Same with Backes.

Personally, I like the hockey IQ and scoring ability. I don’t see him similar to Neighbors at all, who is more likely to grind and get assists then to score.
The Neighbours comparison was just about limited upside due to lack of dynamism and creativity. I think both can be really solid players, but there is a ceiling there.

These are just based on limited viewings though.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

With Oshie, I don’t think he was some great skater, but it also wasn’t a problem or even something I would describe as below average.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL

Snuggerud does give me a Backes vibe. I’d be more than happy with that but we’ll see. Going and playing college hockey will hopefully allow him to focus on his weaknesses with the extra time between games.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
DA had an interview a day or two ago and made it clear we probably weren't going to move up. Snuggles was projected to go late first maybe early second so that makes sense now. Don't know much about the kid but I have faith in our staff to hit these picks.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I hope he’s better than Ty Rattie. He had a good shoot too

I've only seen some highlights, but they really don't look especially comparable to me. Doesn't mean Snuggerud will end up great, but he's bigger, sturdier, and his defensive game and overall IQ are widely praised. Even if Rattie perhaps had a higher ceiling, it seems like Snuggerud has a way higher floor.

For the record, even though Rattie was dynamic offensively at lower levels, I never really thought of him as a sniper. From what I've seen, I prefer this guy's shot by a significant margin if you're comparing only that aspect straight up.

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Complimenting?

I think the falling has always been overblown by the fan base here. Did he fall? Sure. Was it a problem, negatively impact his game or the team? I don’t think so.
This x1000. Its like Petro missing the net. Did he miss the net occasionally, sure. Was it a problem? No. Was it even an outlier compared to every other NHL defenseman, no. Stats showed that his on net shooting was right in line and even above average compared to other D with his shot volume. Yet every time he missed the net, someone would comment on it. So it became a meme, that was not based in reality, but was based on the number of times it was mentioned.

Same thing with Oshie and falling. People just latched on to the critique and reinforced their opinion by pointing out every time it happened, even if it didn't happen more or less often than with any other skater.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This x1000. Its like Petro missing the net. Did he miss the net occasionally, sure. Was it a problem? No. Was it even an outlier compared to every other NHL defenseman, no. Stats showed that his on net shooting was right in line and even above average compared to other D with his shot volume. Yet every time he missed the net, someone would comment on it. So it became a meme, that was not based in reality, but was based on the number of times it was mentioned.

Same thing with Oshie and falling. People just latched on to the critique and reinforced their opinion by pointing out every time it happened, even if it didn't happen more or less often than with any other skater.
some people have no sense of humor..

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I just think we get to caught up with skating. Being a great skater seems to be prized higher than other areas.
Oshie seems to have better starts and stops, possibly also top end speed although this are seems closer.

Caveat: This is based on the handful of videos I have just seen.

The Neighbours comparison was just about limited upside due to lack of dynamism and creativity. I think both can be really solid players, but there is a ceiling there.

These are just based on limited viewings though.

i don’t think we can say he has limited creativity or upside. i also think fans tend to overvalue skating, when things like IQ are more important.

Next Year he is off to the NCAA so we will see. I just don’t think we can say he is a Bluesy pick due to skating. Or working hard in all three zones, The kid is a goal scorer really solid shot.

Reactions: parliamentlite

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I hope he’s better than Ty Rattie. He had a good shoot too
A lot of scouting reports were talking about his ability to find the soft spots which definitely reminded me of Rattie. However, watching some videos, kid has a much, much better shot. Its pretty damn wicked. Rattie's shot wasn't that great, he just could find the soft areas at lower levels.

some people have no sense of humor..
Or they expect humour to be funny.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL

I mean Oshie did fall quite a bit. Had a bit of a crouch to his skating but had that low center of gravity so was definitely hard to knock off pucks. He loved to drink a lot and I’ve seen this personally and have even talked to his the concierge in the condo complex he lived at in the central west end years ago. He has definitely matured once he got traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad