Prospect Info: Jimmy Snuggerud, 23rd Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
My detailed look at Snuggerud for McKeen's (only for subscribers):

Tons of video here and a look at the improvements that he has made in his skating.

Happy to answer questions.
Thanks, Brock.

What are your thoughts on Snuggerud’s NHL potential, style of play and skating?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Thanks, Brock.

What are your thoughts on Snuggerud’s NHL potential, style of play and skating?

Here is what I wrote about his skating in that piece:

Skating

Snuggerud is one of the most improved players in the USDP from the U17 to U18 year and the main reason for that has been an improvement in his skating. As a U17 player, Snuggerud struggled to build speed with short, choppy, and inefficient strides. As a result, he was more of a trailer than a leader offensively. Additionally, his lack of strength and balance prevented him from taking greater advantage of his shot, as he struggled to play through contact or adjust to passes not directly on his blade.

Now, Snuggerud builds speed quickly through longer, more powerful strides and he uses this linear quickness to drive wide with the puck and to be an extremely active forechecker. Additionally, he is much more sturdy on his skates, allowing him to alter direction quickly to receive passes without breaking stride. This has made him a much more dangerous weapon as a goal scorer as he sets up shop in the slot or near the half wall looking to rip home one timers, adjusting accordingly even if passes are not quite on the tape. This improved strength on his skates has also made him a terrific support player in the offensive end as he keeps plays alive along the wall with his feet and is able to drive the cycle.

Now, there is still room for improvement here. He will need to continue to improve the power of his first few strides to truly give himself NHL caliber separation. Additionally, Snuggerud is still mostly a linear attacker who could stand to improve his ability to work East/West by improving his confidence, stability, and power while on his edges. However, you have to applaud the work he has put in to improve and this bodes well for him making further improvements given that he has already successfully altered some of his mechanical inefficiencies.

You'd find lots of clips in there showing these observations.

As for style and play and potential, I think Snuggerud is a quality complementary offensive player who can play through the middle of the lineup. Someone who can be versatile and move up/down as needed, playing a lot of different roles. Probably someone who can be a 50ish point guy on a fairly consistent basis if everything goes according to plan. I think guys like Connor Brown, Zach Hyman, Reilly Smith, Tyler Toffoli, etc, serve as decent comps.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
If we get a player comparable to the guys Brock indicated as comparable with pick #23 isn a relatively weak draft, then we have done very well for ourselves.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Yea, I mean....a middle 6 player with a good shot and the willingness to try and improve seems to me a pretty solid bet all things considered. At 23 there's really no sure thing.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Dobber has is NHL comparable listed as Brandon Saad.

Now, Dobber’s projections are looking from a fantasy hockey side versus actual style wise, but if you can get Saad level production out of #23 in a supposed weak draft that’s not bad at all.

Reactions: Blueston

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
Him and Bolduc were the most noticeable on the ice today during the scrimmage but would give the nod to Snuggie. His pass to Berger for the win was brilliant but this was truly the play of the game:

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Him and Bolduc were the most noticeable on the ice today during the scrimmage but would give the nod to Snuggie. His pass to Berger for the win was brilliant but this was truly the play of the game:

Slick play, but I will note that play was getting sloppier than usual at that point. Bolduc drove the play more and stood out more with 4 skaters and when things were crisper. Both guys definitely looked good. So did Sim.

Buchinger definitely has skill and I saw flashes from Robertsson, but both guys suffered from trying to do a little too much themselves at times. That's something you can say about almost every guy out there, but I say that relative to their obvious ability.

The invite that stood out to me was Travis Mitchell.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

Who’d he walk?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Man i was so excited when we made this pick, love the early success he's had so far. Still hope we stay patient with him and have him play a 2nd year of college just for pure development purposes. I see a future 30 goal scorer here coupled with real hockey sense. Love our future forwards with thomas, kyrou,snuggs, neighbous etc... hopefully bolduc can hit too and then we'd be in some seriously good shape if our vets like ROR, Schenn, saad etc... can continue high levels of play into their 30's.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Man i was so excited when we made this pick, love the early success he's had so far. Still hope we stay patient with him and have him play a 2nd year of college just for pure development purposes. I see a future 30 goal scorer here coupled with real hockey sense. Love our future forwards with thomas, kyrou,snuggs, neighbous etc... hopefully bolduc can hit too and then we'd be in some seriously good shape if our vets like ROR, Schenn, saad etc... can continue high levels of play into their 30's.

That would be a great core to build a top six forward group. The next generation is on the way.

Reactions: tfriede2 and mk80

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
That would be a great core to build a top six forward group. The next generation is on the way.
Absolutely, I hope our management continues to take BPA with our 1st rd picks rather than solely focusing on D due to need.

Just keep churning out quality players through the draft and good things will happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad